Tipping room steward after prepaying gratuities

2 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:

This bring up a point I've not thought much about. The SL concierge? are they in any part of the suite gratuities? I generally tip the concierge if I have they do anything specific and only a few time not tip of I really had no interaction with them. That being said what I have asked from them is typically what is listed as a part of the suite amenities. 

i.e. on our last cruise Romana (sp?) on Quantum was the best concierge we have ever had.  

If I understand it correctly, the SL Concierge are not part of the gratuties program.  We also tip them depending on the level and quality of service they provide.   

I agree 100%, Romana was the best SL Concierge we have encountered on Royal Caribbean.  She was always offering to book us into iFly and North Star, even though we were booked on those our first cruise.  I am anxious to see if there is as much interaction with the SL Concierge on Harmony as there was with Romana.  It has been our experience that the SL Concierge's on the Oasis Class ships are really focused on the Pinnacles and Star Class cruisers.  I believe the location of the Quantum Class Suite Lounge had a lot to do with her being more accessible.  Now if only had a bar that was open 1100-2300 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:

This bring up a point I've not thought much about. The SL concierge? are they in any part of the suite gratuities? I generally tip the concierge if I have they do anything specific and only a few time not tip of I really had no interaction with them. That being said what I have asked from them is typically what is listed as a part of the suite amenities. 

i.e. on our last cruise Romana (sp?) on Quantum was the best concierge we have ever had.  

Perhaps you are referring to Romina.  I believe she was from Romania, slender with long black hair?  I had heard she became a Genie.  If it is the same woman then yes, she was the best ever.

We were disappointed in our Harmony concierge.  The couple of requests I made via email (table by a window in MDR, mention of my daughter’s birthday) went unfulfilled.  A request to move a specialty restaurant reservation due to illness was also not possible.  It was our first experience with a concierge and perhaps my expectations were too high.  

14 hours ago, Magicat said:

Perhaps you are referring to Romina.  I believe she was from Romania, slender with long black hair?  I had heard she became a Genie.  If it is the same woman then yes, she was the best ever.

No Romana (I believe how you spell it) is from China 

16 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I believe the location of the Quantum Class Suite Lounge had a lot to do with her being more accessible.  Now if only had a bar that was open 1100-2300 🙂 

completely agree on the split with CK and SL, and the 1100-2300 bar would have made it perfect... that's why the next two Royal cruises booked are on Harmony and Allure 

Just about every time I see posts about good or excellent Genies and/or concierges, I have to mention Marla.  She was our first Genie and none have come close to her, yet.  The words perfection and Marla are synonymous in my dictionary.

On 10/10/2022 at 5:56 PM, Donsyb said:

Agreed.  

As people’s income and circumstances can vary so much, what is a lot to one person is pocket change to another. Therefore I don’t think anyone should be telling someone else “it’s only $100 you can afford it” when they don’t know that persons situation.  People seem to assume if you’re going in a cruise you are wealthy, but some people will have saved for years to go  on one cruise and it may be the only time they get to do it.

Therefore IMO the best advice is - it’s discretionary, auto tips will be added to your account, if you are comfortable

paying more and think the service received warrants it, then pay what you are comfortable paying.

Thank you so much for this golden advice ...

and thank you all guys for your kind responses for my question about tipping .. appreciate your kind help and support in this great forum. 

On 10/9/2022 at 12:02 PM, forests_lover said:

I have prepaid for gratuities for my upcoming 7-night cruise, now am I supposed to put a tip in the room steward's envelope at the last day ? or is that considered an unnecessary double tip ?

if I'm supposed to do that, then what's the good average range for a tip in a trip like this to the Caribbean ?

This is all a personal choice, self of culture.  I'm huge on tipping because they make it possible for us to have such a lovely vacations.  The same way I'd tip housekeeping even though I already tipped the dinner server and cocktail server earlier in the evening.  🙂 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 5:38 PM, poocher said:

We were disappointed in our Harmony concierge.  The couple of requests I made via email (table by a window in MDR, mention of my daughter’s birthday) went unfulfilled.  A request to move a specialty restaurant reservation due to illness was also not possible.  It was our first experience with a concierge and perhaps my expectations were too high.  

No, they are reasonable requests. If they could not be fulfilled, a short explanation should suffice.

Concierges are extremely variable. Usually, we have had very good experiences where they at least try, and we always tip for the service. Last cruise I asked two questions and both times, 'try guest services'. No tip.

On 10/13/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ret MP said:

Just about every time I see posts about good or excellent Genies and/or concierges, I have to mention Marla.  She was our first Genie and none have come close to her, yet.  The words perfection and Marla are synonymous in my dictionary.

Marla was absolutely phenomenal.  If you’re on Allure, Smitha is a VERY close second.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marci22 said:

No, they are reasonable requests. If they could not be fulfilled, a short explanation should suffice.

Concierges are extremely variable. Usually, we have had very good experiences where they at least try, and we always tip for the service. Last cruise I asked two questions and both times, 'try guest services'. No tip.

Didn’t even acknowledge my email requests and couldn’t get them on the phone about the reservations change as I was trying to deal with the illness.

On 10/9/2022 at 5:41 PM, BND said:

We usually tip extra, but not a huge amount.  I also don't buy the posters who say they tip $100 extra.  There are a few who virtue signal on this site so don't believe everything you read.  It costs them nothing to say they do.  🙂

I have witnessed two of my friends do just that. $100 at beginning of cruise. Me... I stick to the auto goat's and an extra $20 or so if there was anything I asked out of the ordinary. Usually, the extra pillows at the beginning is all I ask for. 

On 10/10/2022 at 5:13 PM, Ocean Boy said:

I agree. However, I find their leaving envelopes in the cabin a bit annoying. It is as if they are asking for more.

I don't care for this either. I think it is perfectly reasonable to have a stack at guest services, and folks can pick them up if they want. 

On 10/9/2022 at 3:02 PM, forests_lover said:

I have prepaid for gratuities for my upcoming 7-night cruise, now am I supposed to put a tip in the room steward's envelope at the last day ? or is that considered an unnecessary double tip ?

if I'm supposed to do that, then what's the good average range for a tip in a trip like this to the Caribbean ?

Tip your Room Steward as you feel appropriate. At the end of the cruise, we usually tip $10-$20/day (in addition to the auto grats). We also tip our waiter and assistant waiter $10-$15/day (in addition to the auto grats). 

Edited by BirdTravels

12 hours ago, marci22 said:

Same on our last cruise - I asked about Chef's Table reservations and his response was "You can book that in the app."  

On 10/9/2022 at 2:12 PM, smokeybandit said:

You're under no obligation to tip anything above the daily gratuities. But if you feel that room steward deserves more, you put in that envelope whatever you think they deserve.

There's really no right or wrong amount.

Yep.  I tip extra because:

1. I know the steward is only getting a small portion of the daily tip amount.
  2. Traveling with my mentally disabled brother, we tend to be a little messier.

With 4 Royal and 2 Celebrity cruises under our belts, I have yet to meet any stewards who do not exceed my expectations.

--bruce T.

I thought I was a decent tipper. We leave our auto grats on, $2 per drink for C&A drinks and $15 to $20 at specialty restaurants. BUT, leave $25 to $30 for 7 day cruise to steward. We have very little contact, no special requests and the cabin is pretty clean. In a hotel, we leave $3 to $5 per night. I really don’t understand $100 plus auto grats for a week. 

I really don’t consider where the crew is from. I tip based on US norms. I also don’t care how much they make. Not my problem, it’s between them and Royal. 

On 10/21/2022 at 4:35 PM, BirdTravels said:

Tip your Room Steward as you feel appropriate. At the end of the cruise, we usually tip $10-$20/day (in addition to the auto grats). We also tip our waiter and assistant waiter $10-$15/day (in addition to the auto grats). 

What does a $10 a day room steward do to move into the $20 a day category?

Our last cruise was right before the shut down and we gave the room steward a few nice tips during and at the end of the cruise. 

We kind of had to as our toddler and infant were pretty sick for a few days and we needed to change sheets, towels, and even pillows multiple times per day (and night a few times). Our room steward was always available and very understanding and accommodating. 

On 10/21/2022 at 12:17 PM, Jkaczanowski said:

Marla was absolutely phenomenal.  If you’re on Allure, Smitha is a VERY close second.

Our next booked Star Class cruise is in Jan 2024.  It would be great if she (Marla) is on that cruise with us. 

Thanks for the tip on Smitha.  I believe I've hear of her before, in a positive light, too! 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 2:02 PM, forests_lover said:

If you get great service from your steward, an extra tip is very nice, but not expected.
If one of your party is a bit of a handful or a messy small child,  you should really consider it.

• Like 1