Carry on Luggage for embarkation day

jwmiller5

Hi everyone, I'm preparing for my FIRST EVER CRUISE!!! I wanted to get some advice about carrying on luggage for Embarkation day. I have a lower deck stateroom, and I'm more than capable of carrying all my luggage up and down staircases (no waiting for elevators). Should I skip checking my luggage and just carry it direct to my room? I've read that our staterooms are available as soon as we board, so I'd like to skip an extra steps of waiting for my luggage, but I wanted some feedback from experienced travelers, Is this a bad idea? Are there other factors I need to consider??

• Like 2

Yes you could do it but personally don't see any advantage unless you need your belongings immediately upon boarding the ship.

Your room is NOT available when you board the ship.  Your room is available to pick up your room key and drop off your luggage but they ask you to remain in public areas so they stateroom attendants can complete cleaning and setup.   Room are generally available about 1:30 -2:00.

They have porters at the curb and drop off takes less than 1 minute.   Your luggage will arrive at your door usually in the 2-3PM time frame but could be slower.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

Why? Just check it like everyone else does. If you have things you can’t live without for a few hours, carry a small bag with you. You’ll board, probably grab lunch, wonder around the ship for a while and your bags will arrive soon after. There really is no extra step involved. 

One element to consider is the size of you luggage.  Walking on the cruise, the bags you carry on will need to go through an xray scanner with you.  While the xray machine appear slightly bigger than the ones in the airport, they are not necessarily the size of larger suitcases.  

We were on a cruise last year, where someone tried to walk on with a large roller bag.  It didn't fit in the xray machine & security basically had to open it and go through it piece by piece.  Slowed down the boarding process as well as all the clothes & items had to come out of the bag.  Personally, it was the not the way I would want to start a cruise.

Edited by Team Stag
  • Like 4

Probably a good idea to keep your valuables with you rather than leave them at the dock. Things like laptops and cameras are not worth losing either by accident or possible theft. And keeping your medications with you is a must! So a small backpack or roll aboard would work well, especially since you can drop it in your cabin first thing. And don't forget that your allotted 2 bottles of wine are better off with you than in your checked luggage.

• Like 1

Our last Alaska cruise we did carry-on only. We each had a carry-on that would fit in the overhead bin on an airplane and a backpack. I even had room for 2 bottles of wine in my backpack.

Edited by bigbenboys
added info
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

Probably a good idea to keep your valuables with you rather than leave them at the dock. Things like laptops and cameras are not worth losing either by accident or possible theft. And keeping your medications with you is a must! So a small backpack or roll aboard would work well, especially since you can drop it in your cabin first thing. And don't forget that your allotted 2 bottles of wine are better off with you than in your checked luggage.

That and any prescriptions are all that's in our small carry on(s). 

27 minutes ago, jwmiller5 said:

Hi everyone, I'm preparing for my FIRST EVER CRUISE!!! I wanted to get some advice about carrying on luggage for Embarkation day. I have a lower deck stateroom, and I'm more than capable of carrying all my luggage up and down staircases (no waiting for elevators). Should I skip checking my luggage and just carry it direct to my room? I've read that our staterooms are available as soon as we board, so I'd like to skip an extra steps of waiting for my luggage, but I wanted some feedback from experienced travelers, Is this a bad idea? Are there other factors I need to consider??

Welcome!  I like your packing style so much that I use it myself!  I've done a few cruises and I prefer to leave the porters and ship baggage handlers for those that need it.  The main gotchas have already been mentioned - your room might not be ready when you embark (though you might be able to drop your luggage off in the room - YMMV) and you have to be prepared to carry EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE until the room is ready.  It's no fun carrying 30 pounds of stuff up and down 8 flights of stairs, I assure you.  I think it's worth it, but you'll have to decide that for yourself.

One other piece of advice is since you're packing relatively light, be sure to monitor what you missed and perhaps remember to take it along next time.

Enjoy your cruise, whenever it is.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Your room is NOT available when you board the ship.  Your room is available to pick up your room key and drop off your luggage but they ask you to remain in public areas so they stateroom attendants can complete cleaning and setup.   Room are generally available about 1:30 -2:00.

Are you sure about this? On our February 2022 Reflection cruise the paperwork pictured below indicates the cabins are accessible and available from the moment of boarding on embarkation day;furthermore, there's no qualifier stating the cabin is only available for dropping off hand luggage, which implies you can occupy the cabin. 

original_43c15754-505c-41a0-9bd9-d1636961c27f_PXL_20220226_203920731.jpg

11 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Are you sure about this? On our February 2022 Reflection cruise the paperwork pictured below indicates the cabins are accessible and available from the moment of boarding on embarkation day;furthermore, there's no qualifier stating the cabin is only available for dropping off hand luggage, which implies you can occupy the cabin. 

The last few times we have boarded the Equinox, Constellation and Infinity from Florida there was a sign on our door that said you were welcome to drop you bags off and put stuff in the safe but asked that you not to remain in your room. In all those cases there was announcement around 1:30 saying rooms were now ready. This has been the case for us since a few cruises before the Pandemic and all we have been on since. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Just now, Plato123 said:

We were on the Eclipse this September and Inadverttantly checked in with our baggage (more than carry on but lot too much) and dragged them through the boarding and security process and right to our suite, at about 11 AM.  This was in Vancouver, and it was nice as we were able to properly unpack and go for lunch in Luminae at a liesurly pace.

On our last 3 cruises we have boarded about 11:30 drops our bags in the room then went to Luminae for lunch. I do remember our cruise last month. Our butler saw us dropping our bags in our room, he introduced himself. He then said your suite is ready and turned the lock on the door. We watched the muster drill video on the tv. Went to check in at our muster station and then went to Luminae.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

The last few times we have boarded the Equinox, Constellation and Infinity from Florida there was a sign on our door that said you were welcome to drop you bags off and put stuff in the safe but asked that you not to remain in your room.

So they *are* available for drop off - just not to stay in.

To me, "not available" means you can't go into the stateroom hallways at all until they are cleared.

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

So they *are* available for drop off - just not to stay in.

To me, "not available" means you can't go into the stateroom hallways at all until they are cleared.

Agreed, they used to be not available.  It is so much better to go and drop your stuff off and not drag it around until rooms are fully available - as it used to be.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Agreed, they used to be not available.

In those days you were given your key on embarkation.

But now, your room key is in an envelope on the outside of the door. You will need it if you want a drink with your lunch.

Take backpack or small roll aboard with you onto the ship.with Meds, glasses ,C pac  or hearing aids if applicable , change of clothes , bathing suit. Important papers favorite baseball cap and anything that if lost would ruin your trip. All big bags leave with porters. Tip! They are very hard working. Make sure your bag is clearly labeled in two places. We have been on 50+ cruises and it’s the best invention ever.

• Like 1

Check out one bag dot com

For 20 years I have never checked a bag and only travel with a single carry on, including long cruises or international land trips.

That said, no major down side, once you arrive at the ship terminal, to check in outside and walk on board and wait the short time for your bag(s) to arrive.

- Joel

• Like 1