Do P &O Regularly Ring Pax 35 mins before last onboard time?

tring

We were in time to get back from Venice, taking a Vaporetto and then the little train to the port.  However, 2 vaporettos were totally full and we had to wait over 40 minutes for the next one.  I was beginning to panic.  We finally got to the port and a car whizzed up to us and shouted "If you're for Aurora - get in".  Now I was not about to get in a strange unmarked car and started to argue.  He said get in, you're late!.  We were driven to the crew entrance, passports scanned and got on board.  Apparently our names had been called a few times!  Phew!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, pete14 said:

‘Named and shamed’? What better way is there to check that people are back on board before departure than using the ship’s communication systems? My wife was ‘called’ in this way some years ago. She was on the ship so she rang the number they gave and told them so. No problem. How on earth could she be ‘shamed’ when only a small handful of people onboard knew who she was. It is just a name that means nothing to anybody else. Far better this way, than sailing on schedule and the captain not being certain that everybody is back onboard, or if not, who is missing. 

It’s more shamed if you are the last back to the ship , only one gangway left out and everyone else looking over the side watching (sometimes even jeering) as the latecomers board. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

And  I suppose a bit of an excuse would be  that everyone else was on, and they hoped to get the gangway up early if possible.  Which I have seen happen, and even sailed early.

I've been called once. Everyone else, including my wife were all safely onboard, but I was out birdwatching just a few hundred yards away from the quay... still with time in hand before the "on-board" deadline.

It wasn't a problem; everyone was very nice about it... the ship wanted to leave early but didn't want to risk accidentally leaving me marooned.

Ships are now increasingly keen to leave early. If they have more time to reach the next port, they cruise more slowly and that can save a lot of fuel. This “slow steaming,” is a very effective way to reduce fuel consumption. The American Bureau of Shipping, has estimated that a 10% reduction in speed allows the ship to save about 20% in fuel. 

33 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Let's face it, they didn't go very fast before this the oil price.  I have steamed along at 12 knots on Aurora because the next port is only a short distance.

There is hardly any point going at 20 knots and docking at the next port in the early hours of the morning. 

9 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Ships are now increasingly keen to leave early. If they have more time to reach the next port, they cruise more slowly and that can save a lot of fuel. This “slow steaming,” is a very effective way to reduce fuel consumption. The American Bureau of Shipping, has estimated that a 10% reduction in speed allows the ship to save about 20% in fuel. 

Not disagreeing with you, but leaving 25 minutes early is hardly going to make a significant difference to the fuel burn.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Let's face it, they didn't go very fast before this the oil price.  I have steamed along at 12 knots on Aurora because the next port is only a short distance.

Or going around in circles at 8 knots in the Caribbean or when going from Fuerteventura to Lanzarote. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not disagreeing with you, but leaving 25 minutes early is hardly going to make a significant difference to the fuel burn.

Agree but if it becomes fleet practice, 25 mins here, 25 mins there, a bypassed port and the odd shortcut will all add up. Some other lines seem to be adopting the same corner cutting.

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Agree but if it becomes fleet practice, 25 mins here, 25 mins there, a bypassed port and the odd shortcut will all add up. Some other lines seem to be adopting the same corner cutting.

Sometimes if you watch the ships on YouTube live at Southampton .I have heard the captains

of lets say Ventura saying they will be delayed for some reason for 20 minutes or so .

The captain of princess Sky hears this on his radio offers to swap slots for sail away as he has everyone onboard and would be sat around 30 mins waiting anyway .

• Like 2

I was called on embarkation day to ask if I was on board or not, I almost answered to hang on while I checked with the people in the cabin next door, but thought better of it.  Apparently I had not visited the muster station, I asked if my wife had checked in at the muster station and was told yes she had, I did wonder how she had managed to check in when I hadn't, and I was pushing her wheelchair? 

Computer systems are fine just as long as they are not reliant on idiots to input the data.

• Like 5

On 10/11/2022 at 8:39 PM, molecrochip said:

Passenger traffic in port is not an exact science but does follow some very common patterns. Mass exodus once the ship has docked, crew exodus around lunchtime, no one getting off ship in the last 60 minutes etc.

The same applies with getting back on. Some ports have passengers returning in a fair flow all day, especially if you are berthed in town. Some see a mass return in the hour before departure. The ship can monitor the outstanding passenger numbers.

Just sometimes everyone arrives back early. It does happen, especially if you land in a port where nothing is open on a Sunday. When it does, and only a few passengers are missing, its a courtesy to ensure that everything is ok.

Lets say its 40 mins to departure and only two passengers are not back on board. Experience will tell Security that either they managed to get back back on board without scanning, or something untoward may be occurring.

This leads to the other reason that you may have been called. Its possible that a crew member had mis-scanned a card or was manually entering an order and tried to put some drinks through on your room when the computer knew that all occupants of that room were on shore. As a security function, it gets referred to the Purser's office.

Must admit we were far from impressed with Dubrovnik, which was just a mass of tourists, restaurants and tourist tack shops.  Hence I would not be surprised if most other passengers came back early.  We returned to the ship for a buffet lunch then headed out for a walk around the local area - the real Croatia.  We love cruises when we are overnight in port and always make the most of the visit, but that has largely been with Fred, not really a P&O sort of itinerary 🙂

We never stray far from a port unless on a cruise line excursion or have a good couple of hours or so spare.  We then tend to spend the later part of the day within an easy walk of a ship, but often choose to eat off the ship in an authentic local restaurant.  We do realise most passengers have other preferences though.

Edited by tring

On our recent cruise to Copenhagen I really wanted to get the train over the Oresund bridge to Malmo.  I had an afternoon to do it but we just docked that little bit too far out with half hour bus shuttle and I'd also read about passport checks etc on the train itself.  I also considered the risk of delays, train failures, signal failures, fatalities etc and decided against it.  When I ventured out in the afternoon I didn't take my passport so I didn't feel tempted.  I poked my head into the station and a look at the departure boards showed some cancellations.  Would I have been okay?  We'll never know!  I do know had anything gone wrong I'd had got a lot of grief.  Had we done an overnight stay in port I'd have been over it.

Risk vs reward.  The risk for this was just too much.  The reward?  The bridge isn't going anywhere and I've been told I can go back on my own to do it.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tring said:

Must admit we were far from impressed with Dubrovnik

But isn't that the problem with so many cruise destinations?

When cruise ships deposit 10,000 people into a small town/city, then the essence of the place is lost. Not sure how you can complain about a mass of tourists, when you are one of them ! 

We used to visit Cartagena when we lived in Spain - loved the laid back feel of the place, the deserted ruins that you could slowly stroll around, the waiters who would stop  and chat with you. 

Then we visited on a cruise, and the town was unrecognisable - packed solid,  frantic waiters, higher prices  - just awful. 

And that is the cruising compromise - you get to visit interesting places,  but the very fact of  visiting them, also destroys them. 

• Like 9

One of my favorite ports is Curaçao when the ships berth at the original mega dock. You have a clear view of the 800m odd path leading to the ship.

One year, Christmas even and this one chap was late back. The captain and all the ship out on deck could see this chap running. The captain commented that he better run faster otherwise his Christmas dinner was leaving without him.

No sooner was the chap on board than he visited the Lido deck for refreshment, at which point the cruise director (then was) commented to everyone on deck that they could personally thank him for delaying the stat of Christmas!

Not a happy chap, but he really did delay departure!

• Like 2

Two incidents come to mind. We had a delayed departure on Aurora or was in Arcadia, the ship had a tiered stern. Any way they repeatedly called a couples name to phone reception. As there was a sail away party going on aft the cruise director interrupted proceedings to reinforce the message. The couple were in the audience! They said they wanted to attend the party BEFORE contacting reception.

The second incident had a little old man late back to the ship. We could see him at the end of the quay rushing back with his 2 shopping bags. He was about 112 years old with big 'it ain't half hot mum' shorts and his little sparrow legs going flat out at 1mph. They rushed down the quay with a wheelchair, stuck him in it and rushed back to the ship to cheers and clapping. They could not tell him off, perhaps a gentle reminder to allow another hour to return next time.

• Like 6

Surely you don't need to complain about being phoned just before last boarding - I feel sure it just means that everyone else is on board early and the gangway could go up and maybe ship sail early.  However, you certainly should not be greeted by surly crewman as if you were genuinely late.

Years ago we had a small boat deliver people to us after we had sailed - after time already.  And several times we have watched people (mainly women) sauntering along late with heaps of shopping bags, being jeered by those on deck!  And once, sadly an old lady, obviously muddled, who couldn't remember which  ship she was on and it had already sailed.  She should not have been ashore alone.  Luckily in Scandinavia, rather than some countries where she would not have been looked after.

48 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Two incidents come to mind. We had a delayed departure on Aurora or was in Arcadia, the ship had a tiered stern. Any way they repeatedly called a couples name to phone reception. As there was a sail away party going on aft the cruise director interrupted proceedings to reinforce the message. The couple were in the audience! They said they wanted to attend the party BEFORE contacting reception.

The second incident had a little old man late back to the ship. We could see him at the end of the quay rushing back with his 2 shopping bags. He was about 112 years old with big 'it ain't half hot mum' shorts and his little sparrow legs going flat out at 1mph. They rushed down the quay with a wheelchair, stuck him in it and rushed back to the ship to cheers and clapping. They could not tell him off, perhaps a gentle reminder to allow another hour to return next time.

The one that always makes me smile is when me and Mrs K were sat on a plane at Manchester.

It was due to take off at 10am ?   I noticed the cabin crew counting all the passengers only to find there was two missing ten minutes before take off.

A few more minutes past and an airport worker brought this old couple onboard ,Mrs K had noted they had been stood about two behind us in the boarding queue as he was a bit loud. The man took one look down the plane and greeted us all "Morning everyone " to the sighs and groans  of some of the passengers . "Where have you been ,please hurry and take your seat ,we're waiting to take off ",said an air hostess.  He was having none of it .."This plane goes at ten and it's only four minutes to ",he complained . Needless to say we never made the 10am push back 😐

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

The one that always makes me smile is when me and Mrs K were sat on a plane at Manchester.

It was due to take off at 10am ?   I noticed the cabin crew counting all the passengers only to find 

there was two missing ten minutes before take off.

A few more minutes past and an airport worker brought this old couple onboard ,Mrs K had noted 

they had been stood about two behind us in the boarding queue as he was a bit loud. The man

took one look down the plane and greeted us all "Morning everyone " to the sighs and groans  of 

some of the passengers . "Where have you been ,please hurry and take your seat ,we're waiting 

to take off ",said an air hostess.  He was having none of it .."This plane goes at ten and it's only 

four minutes to ",he complained . Needless to say we never made the 10am push back 😐

I would never moan and groan about someone arriving late for a plane I have been that person too many times.  I lost count of how many times I took the shuttle from Manchester to Heathrow or Gatwick only to find the shuttle was delayed and when the shuttle landed I either had to run through the terminal to the departure gate or was taken on one of the little shuttles that are used to  carry passengers with mobility issues or in a minibus on one occasion in Heathrow because the plane was being held for 11 passengers from the Manchester flight we were clapped and cheered as we boarded.

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

lost count of how many times I took the shuttle from Manchester to Heathrow or Gatwick

That's a blast from the past! I used the LHR to GLA shuttle frequently.

Nowadays the thought of an hourly shuttle, no booking, just turn up 10 minutes in advance and pay at the desk seems unbelievable.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I would never moan and groan about someone arriving late for a plane I have been that person too many times.  I lost count of how many times I took the shuttle from Manchester to Heathrow or Gatwick only to find the shuttle was delayed and when the shuttle landed I either had to run through the terminal to the departure gate or was taken on one of the little shuttles that are used to  carry passengers with mobility issues or in a minibus on one occasion in Heathrow because the plane was being held for 11 passengers from the Manchester flight we were clapped and cheered as we boarded.

The difference with this old guy was he wasn't late he had just decided he wasn't getting on the plane until almost 10am . We got to know them well as they were our neighbours in our villa garden ,he was a right character .His Mrs was telling us once he got an idea in his head that was it . She even managed to loose him getting off the plane on the way home .She was stood at the end of the air bridge off the plane and asked us if we knew where he had got to ? :classic_unsure:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It always seems to be that if you book a long transfer time the incoming flight is on time and if short it is late. Seem to be that way anyway! The worst thing in some of the more complicated transfer airports where you have to transfer terminals, go through another security check, even passport control again which makes it even more stressful. Sorry for thread drift.

I am not suggesting anybody tries this but years ago, we were on an excursion coach with an eccentric guide. She was very meticulous with her counting to ensure everybody had got back on the coach after a stop. She did get rather confused though when a gentleman on the back seat (not me), put his hat on a walking stick so it was visible and ‘eligible’ to be counted. I am not sure she found it as funny as many of us did. 

• Haha 7

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

That's a blast from the past! I used the LHR to GLA shuttle frequently.

Nowadays the thought of an hourly shuttle, no booking, just turn up 10 minutes in advance and pay at the desk seems unbelievable.

I too used the shuttle a few times in the 80's. The breakfast was good with a good full English on china and proper knives and forks in those days.