Princess Laundry Options

jennaja

I know that Princess has onboard do-it-yourself laundry options.  Since our last sailing with Princess, we have gotten used to the luxury of using HAL's laundry package.  Just stuff your dirty stuff into the bag, and it comes back beautifully laundered, pressed and folded the next day.  Does Princess have a laundry package or pricing for bags of laundry, or is it just on a piece by piece basis?  If they do have a package, what's the cost?

Princess does not have a laundry package.  Each item has a cost.  There is a price for regular and a price for Presto (in by 9 out by evening).  It is not inexpensive.  Princess does have laundry rooms on most decks for a fee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, john watson said:

They do a free laundry deal on your 16th cruise.

Regards John

I pushed and pushed to reach Elite just for the free laundry.  Most expensive price ever to wash underwear.  

image.thumb.png.663155231ffe89987bd8f9bc05335c38.png 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I pushed and pushed to reach Elite just for the free laundry.  Most expensive price ever to wash underwear.  

It is a very strange tariff, it is probably cheaper to buy new items of underwear and throw the old ones away.  Conversely you could always take your drapes on holiday and get them all nice for when you return home.

Lol John

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, SuiteTraveler said:

Running 1 load of wash on our recent Enchanted Princess Cruise was $7.50 to get the tokens and detergent.  There didn't seem to be a way to just get the tokens if I had brought my own detergent either.  However, I only needed to do one load, so no big deal.

I can't remember the last time I used the laundry room, but that seems a little unfair.  Especially if you have detergent allergies or other issues.  If you think of it as Princess trying to make it more convenient for folks (by including the detergent), I guess it's fair game.  

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I can't remember the last time I used the laundry room, but that seems a little unfair.  Especially if you have detergent allergies or other issues.  If you think of it as Princess trying to make it more convenient for folks (by including the detergent), I guess it's fair game.  

Perhaps there is some way to get tokens without buying the detergent and I didn't notice.  I was just surprised at the cost.  We were in a suite and had free laundry service through the ship's laundry.  I really should have taken advantage of that instead.

17 hours ago, Cruise2End said:

I’m elite and use the self service laundry every cruise - just easier in my opinion and not that expensive.   You can take a few dryer sheets and soap pods with you- not a huge problem.

How can it be easier than giving a bag to your room steward, and have it returned all done, and hung up for you 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, antsp said:

How can it be easier than giving a bag to your room steward, and have it returned all done, and hung up for you 

Agreed. We factor in the cost to send out our laundry on every cruise, even if self service laundry is available. It's no different than budgeting for excursions, spa treatments, specialty dining, and everything else that is not included with the base fare. Compared to the cost of the cruise itself plus transportation to and from, the cost of having our laundry done is less than 1% of the total cost of the cruise. We are on vacation and for us it seems pointless to spend valuable vacation time to do chores when we are supposed to be relaxing and enjoying ourselves. We do enough chores at home in between vacations. 

But that's just us. We place value on our precious vacation time differently than some folk do.  

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, SuiteTraveler said:

Perhaps there is some way to get tokens without buying the detergent and I didn't notice.  I was just surprised at the cost.  We were in a suite and had free laundry service through the ship's laundry.  I really should have taken advantage of that instead.

Been cruising since 2004 and when I use the washer/dryer, I have never bought soap through the dispensers in the laundry room.  Take my own soap - now using pods.  Put mine in the large mouth prescription bottles so they don't break.  You are able to select on the dispenser the number of tokens you want and they can be used in either the washer or dryer.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

We are Elite and prefer to have our clothes come back without tears and one size smaller,, so we will continue to do our own laundry.   Wish they would have kept the internet minutes and dumped the laundry perk!

I thought I was the only one  to end up with  smaller shirts or twisted  side seams on shirts. Got $35 once for a shirt that was returned 3 inches shorter and 3 inches wider.  Our biggest problem has been pin holes in tee shirts and DH undies.  Now I only send out socks, hankies,  jeans and anything else that I don't care if it comes back with pin holes.  Bring my own soap/dryer sheets/color guard sheets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

I thought I was the only one  to end up with  smaller shirts or twisted  side seams on shirts. Got $35 once for a shirt that was returned 3 inches shorter and 3 inches wider.  Our biggest problem has been pin holes in tee shirts and DH undies.  Now I only send out socks, hankies,  jeans and anything else that I don't care if it comes back with pin holes.  Bring my own soap/dryer sheets/color guard sheets.

After having some damaged items we only send out anything that can withstand hot wash and hot dry.  For the laundry room, we now bring the below washer sheets.  They work great.  From Amazon...

Sheets Laundry Club - up to 100 Loads - 50 Sheets - As Seen on Shark Tank - Laundry Detergent Sheets - Fresh Linen Scent - No Plastic Jug - New Liquid-Less Technology - Eco-Friendly Lightweight

Edited by LACruiser88

We do our own laundry. We did send out some stuff on our first cruise as Elite but had issues. My wife had a pair of pants vanish and they were replaced with some extremely tiny skinny jeans that looked like they might fit a small teen. It took several days to get that sorted. Then she got a spot on a nice dress and sent it out for "cleaning" which is different from regular laundry. The dress came back the next day but the spot was still in place and it looked as though nothing had been done with the dress at all.

It's easy to do our own laundry. We usually start a movie in the cabin then pause it and go load the washer. We set a timer for shortly before the load is due to finish and pause the movie again to go tend to the laundry. Same routine for the dryer.  I'm allergic to most laundry detergents and have no desire to break out and itch all over so we always take our own detergent.

• Like 4

On 10/11/2022 at 5:18 PM, SuiteTraveler said:

Running 1 load of wash on our recent Enchanted Princess Cruise was $7.50 to get the tokens and detergent.  There didn't seem to be a way to just get the tokens if I had brought my own detergent either.  However, I only needed to do one load, so no big deal.

That is odd because I have always brought my own pods and dryer sheets due to allergies. I think on the Sky in December it was $3 to wash and $3 to dry per load.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 3:40 PM, LACruiser88 said:

After having some damaged items we only send out anything that can withstand hot wash and hot dry.  For the laundry room, we now bring the below washer sheets.  They work great.  From Amazon...

Sheets Laundry Club - up to 100 Loads - 50 Sheets - As Seen on Shark Tank - Laundry Detergent Sheets - Fresh Linen Scent - No Plastic Jug - New Liquid-Less Technology - Eco-Friendly Lightweight

I'm looking to order some laundry sheets for our upcoming TA so thanks for the recommendation.  There are so many available on Amazon I'm trying to narrrow down the options and I think I'm overthinking it, lol.  I'd like to buy them locally but I can't find anywhere that actually stocks them. 

Anyway, do you use one or two sheets for a regular load?  

• Like 1

There are certain things that if you want them done right, you do them yourself.  For me, laundry is one of them.  Fifty-some cruises and numerous extended land-based trips and I've never sent out my laundry.  Thus, I've never had any of my clothes lost, damaged, shrunk, or color changed.

I use laundromats on the ship and on land when available, travel with a lot of quick-dry clothes, and use "wear a day, air a day" on board.

I don't know if they just haven't installed the token system on the Discovery yet, but back in August (2022) the self-serve laundry on deck 14 was totally free.  Even detergent was there for the taking on a shelf.  You just threw your stuff in and turned on the washer or dryer as needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pompeii said:

I'm looking to order some laundry sheets for our upcoming TA so thanks for the recommendation.  There are so many available on Amazon I'm trying to narrrow down the options and I think I'm overthinking it, lol.  I'd like to buy them locally but I can't find anywhere that actually stocks them. 

Anyway, do you use one or two sheets for a regular load?  

We have been using one sheet per load and they work great.  Below is directions from the box.  There are 50 sheets to a box.

20221015_071952.jpg

7 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We have been using one sheet per load and they work great.  Below is directions from the box.  There are 50 sheets to a box.

20221015_071952.jpg

Thanks, I did see the box and it makes it look like 2 sheets would be needed for a load, since I think a washer full would be a large load.  Good to know that one sheet works.

• Like 1