Fresh flowers no longer permitted to be brought aboard by passengers

sansterre

We are aboard the Zaandam and yesterday visited the fabulous Mercado in Funchal.  Before returning to the ship I selected 5 or 6 cut stems to put into our nearly empty liter water bottle in the cabin.  The cost was 7 Euros.

When we boarded the Zaandam we were told that no plant life could be brought aboard.  I explained that these were cut flowers from the market and we have always been able to bring flowers on board for our cabin.  Security told me no soil or plants could be brought onto the ship and he took the flowers.

Later I asked guest services if this was a new policy.  They had to check on that and called me back. Apparently it is new and applies to the entire fleet of HAL ships.  I keep thinking of all the times we have brought flowers on board, most recently in February in Hilo, Hawaii.  There have been countless other times when leis, crowns of flowers, or simple cut flowers have adorned our cabin.

Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Does anyone have an explanation for this restriction?

• Thanks 3

I know that bringing flowers, plants, fruits, nuts etc across borders is many times a big No, No because that can bring in unwanted critters that create havoc to the local agriculture.....so the policy makes sense and I would have thought that would have already been the rule at HAL.

Here is the link to the rules regarding bringing plants, etc into the USA....it's restrictive and probably similar for other countries:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/bringing-agricultural-products-united-states

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

I know that bringing flowers, plants, fruits, nuts etc across borders is many times a big No, No because that can bring in unwanted critters that create havoc to the local agriculture.....so the policy makes sense and I would have thought that would have already been the rule at HAL.

Here is the link to the rules regarding bringing plants, etc into the USA....it's restrictive and probably similar for other countries:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/bringing-agricultural-products-united-states

I understand the flowers can't be taken off the ship in any country.  We do not want to take them off the ship. The ship is not growing crops so I don't see a reason for concern.   

We said "NO" to seeds and bulbs because we can't bring them home to plant.

These were cut flowers from the market.

10 minutes ago, sansterre said:

I understand the flowers can't be taken off the ship in any country.

So HAL is probably saying "if you can't take flowers off the ship, we probably should not let passengers bring them on the ship". Makes sense to me.

(sounds like a mess to clean up after they die and drop all over the cabin also..... so win-win with that rule!). LOL. Go HAL!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sansterre said:

I understand the flowers can't be taken off the ship in any country.  We do not want to take them off the ship. The ship is not growing crops so I don't see a reason for concern.   

We said "NO" to seeds and bulbs because we can't bring them home to plant.

These were cut flowers from the market.

The problem is the flowers have pollen and can have seeds and especially insects that are not visible.  They can get transferred and transported.  Lots of restrictions on plants.  It is not a fleetwide ban.  It is specific to various ports, but more and more countries are putting restrictions in place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

I always always surprised that you could bring flowers and fresh fruit.  I remember dumping my remaining raspberries only to be told I could have brought them onboard. I think this new rule does make sense unless your cruise is to a single country. 

• Like 3

Here is the reason:

Pick  one or more:

a) COVID

b) For your convenience

c) Supply Chain

d) Inflation

e) For your safety

f) Insurance

g) Security

But, for your convenience, each guest may bring aboard one flower arrangement at no charge (but only if you look at it in your cabin) ,  additional flowers  will be charged an $18 "flowerage fee"

• Haha 16

The bigger question, at least to me, is why wouldn't HAL, if they did implement this new changed policy fleetwide not publicize it? They sure made an announcement several years ago when they attempted to change the wine policy from bringing all you want for in-cabin consumption to no wine allowed. (that lasted what, two days?) 

Oh, yeah, that's right. They didn't want to hear the screaming and yelling, and have to backtrack like they did with the wine policy. 

At the very least this change in policy should have been made known on the ship before passengers spent money to purchase flowers for their cabins. 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Here is the reason:

Pick  one or more:

a) COVID

b) For your convenience

c) Supply Chain

d) Inflation

e) For your safety

f) Insurance

g) Security

But, for your convenience, each guest may bring aboard one flower arrangement at no charge (but only if you look at it in your cabin) ,  additional flowers  will be charged an $18 "flowerage fee"

You should add that it competes with the cruise line's marketing of flowers for your cabin. Why buy from HAL if you can bring on with you. Just like the wine policy....

Of course, it is out of "an abundance of caution."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

You should add that it competes with the cruise line's marketing of flowers for your cabin. Why buy from HAL if you can bring on with you. Just like the wine policy....

Of course, it is out of "an abundance of caution."

Thanks - I am updating the list - 

Maybe I should add " we are following the science"

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

We have cruised for more than 1000 days since 1996.  I wonder how many more of these "Screw the customer" decisions from HAL will cause me to say "I don't need to be treated like this" and just cancel our next 42 day cruise?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Here is the reason:

Pick  one or more:

a) COVID

b) For your convenience

c) Supply Chain

d) Inflation

e) For your safety

f) Insurance

g) Security

My personal favorite is c supply chain.  That works for everything 😛.

• Like 1

To Clarify:

We are on the Grand Africa cruise, day 9 of 71 days.

The day prior to arriving in Funchal (day 6 at sea) we received a letter about not purchasing and bringing on board weapons (no knives, swords, etc) and drinks (restrictions on wine, water etc.)  

I'm not sure we kept the letter but  do know that it did NOT mention anything about flowers.

Funchal was our first port.  I did ask Security if the rule was just Funchal.  The response was "no plant material from ANY port" can be brought onboard.  

Front desk told me the policy was for ALL HAL ships. 

I will ask for the ruling in writing.   (good idea 1 anglecat)

It may take some time, but if I get something in writing, I will post it on this link.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

7 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Here is the reason:

Pick  one or more:

a) COVID

b) For your convenience

c) Supply Chain

d) Inflation

e) For your safety

f) Insurance

g) Security

(h)  Global warming

😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yet another nonsensical policy that is "fleetwide" but ymwv depending on ship, phase of the moon, barometric pressure, or Magic 8 Ball.

I get no biomatter going OFF the ship, that is the law in most of the world. But bringing something on to the ship that won't leave the ship? 

It so often is like the people making the rules have never been on a cruise ship. But hey they hired a previous head honcho of the company who hadn't so....

• Like 4

14 hours ago, sansterre said:

I will ask for the ruling in writing.   (good idea 1 anglecat)

It may take some time, but if I get something in writing, I will post it on this link.

Also ask if it's still possible to order flowers from the ship's florist  to have in your room.

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

Also ask if it's still possible to order flowers from the ship's florist  to have in your room.

I’m on the Nieuw Statendam right now and ordered flowers for the cabin on day two. And they’ve lasted almost two weeks. I don’t think flowers onboard will go away. It’s possible there are country regulations that have to be considered. I usually wait to order once onboard and just get the cheapest arrangement. These were carnations beautifully arranged. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 10/20/2022 at 5:18 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

Glad to hear you two are able to do this cruise.

So you can still bring wine aboard and pay corkage, or did the letter totally forbid bringing on wine?

Thanks Tioga!  I think my DH threw our "the letter" which mentioned wine and water, as well as knives and swords.  We have had 3 more ports in 3 days since Funchal but I will ask for a copy at the front desk today.   Also a copy of the "new ruling" on bringing cut flowers on board.

Certification of health of imported and exported plants and flowers (vegetables, fruit etc) etc is usual in f.e. USA, Canada, EUrope, Japan, Australia and many other countries. The flowers and plants on board will undoubtedly have such Certificates. And...everything brought on board will leave the ship too in one way or another, like the flowers you and I bought on markets or flowershops "anywhere".