Is the first night prime rib being replaced by “Manhattan Beef Steak”?

NutsAboutGolf

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

Would this be the same on all ships, e.g.  the Beyond?  I want to figure out why people like it so much.  I like beef but have never been a fan of prime rib.

It seems to vary ship to ship. Perhaps I was lucky, but the first couple times I ordered it - it was very good! I have also come across a couple which I didn't finish (and not because of portion size). If you enjoy beef, you'll eventually have one which will open your eyes - with ample horseradish and au jus of course! We might even be identified with something we'll occasionally bring along - 🙂 - it gives a nice kick to bland cocktail sauce as well. Sure, they can bring you horseradish, but often it lacks the ability to clear your sinuses! LOL

i-mbtFrBj-L.jpg

Tom

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

Would this be the same on all ships, e.g.  the Beyond?  I want to figure out why people like it so much.  I like beef but have never been a fan of prime rib.

On Celebrity, the prime rib can be OK.  If you really want to give good prime rib a try, then you actually have to go to a GOOD land-based steakhouse that serves aged prime beef and serves 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch thick prime rib.  The ship-based versions just aren't that great.

21 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

On Celebrity, the prime rib can be OK.  If you really want to give good prime rib a try, then you actually have to go to a GOOD land-based steakhouse that serves aged prime beef and serves 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch thick prime rib.  The ship-based versions just aren't that great.

So like a McDonald’s then?  /kidding

What about Fine Cut on Beyond for Prime Rib?  Still not good?

14 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So like a McDonald’s then?  /kidding

What about Fine Cut on Beyond for Prime Rib?  Still not good?

Have not been there however in general the ship restaurants just don't compare to the top end land based restaurants.

56 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Almost every food item is better in a land based restaurant with at least a 3.5* yelp reviews.  Imagine if we could publicly rate the cruise ship restaurants, what would it have, 2*s?  If a restaurant doesn't make good food, they go out of business.  No threat of the MDR going out of business so they can let the bean counters degrade the food quality.  Many of us do not cruise for the food and try to eat when in port.  While food like everything is increasing in costs, it seems most cruise lines including X do not care to increase their food budget beyond the rate inflation.  Their service is often on par with a fine dining restaurant however.  The way ahead seems to be for them to partner with restaurants because they have to follow recipe and quality requirements.  Many have ranked CCL's Guys a top 10 burger, the burger recipe is online, the patty itself is simply cooked with salt, nothing else.  Why is it so good and in many opinions the Mast Grill/MDR/Buffet burger so bad?  CCL spends the money on better quality beef patties.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

If you enjoy beef, you'll eventually have one which will open your eyes - with ample horseradish and au jus of course! We might even be identified with something we'll occasionally bring along - 🙂 - it gives a nice kick to bland cocktail sauce as well. Sure, they can bring you horseradish, but often it lacks the ability to clear your sinuses! LOL

i-mbtFrBj-L.jpg

Tom

I’ve brought garlic powder on board (for pizza), but never horseradish!!  My hat is off to you.

• Haha 1

Reflection on our b2 b in September had changed prime rib from first to last night on both cruises. Husband is a big fan and thought the prime rib had disappeared lol, as for the 4 oz fillet from the kids menu I had that a few times it was cooked lovely! 

1 hour ago, di T said:

Reflection on our b2 b in September had changed prime rib from first to last night on both cruises. Husband is a big fan and thought the prime rib had disappeared lol, as for the 4 oz fillet from the kids menu I had that a few times it was cooked lovely! 

They're great however some ships have removed them (remember in my rant above with cost cutting?) and therefore I wouldn't be surprised if they'll be phased out fleetwide sooner than later

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Yup!  This seems to rub people the wrong way, but I'd take the food at a chain restaurant (Applebees/Chilis/TGIFs/etc) over X's buffet or MDR any day.

Two things, they are feeding a LOT less people daily…and they may have more comfort food type offerings that you are used to. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Two things, they are feeding a LOT less people daily…and they may have more comfort food type offerings that you are used to. 

I was talking apples to apples, the majority would agree an TGIF steak is going to be better than any buffet/MDR steak; the quality of the meat makes the difference.  You are right with cruise ships serving more people but they've been doing batch cooking for decades

6 minutes ago, schildiams said:

That doesn't work. Nothing shows up. Maybe too early for January?

I show the desserts for a 2024 cruise so something is there.  Perhaps it depends on your phone, current operating system and if the app is updated.  Otherwise perhaps the person in charge of making the menus go live hasn't uploaded them yet.

• Like 1

You can see menus for future cruises but you won't know what menu will be served on which night until embarkation day.  The menus shown is the app are placeholders that reflects the current cruise's menus. If the number of nights of the current cruise is less than your cruise some days won't even be populated with placeholder data.

• Like 2

LOL-- Now I have another thing I could care less about--

" What's on the dessert menu on my cruise in 2024 "?

For  "S---" sake-- 4 pages, 98 posts--- menus can change from cruise to cruise depending on product availability, cost, etc-- so, Why so much attention ?

Now, how can I find out who the etc,etc, is going to be on our next cruise in 2026???

9 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- Now I have another thing I could care less about--

" What's on the dessert menu on my cruise in 2024 "?

From the tone in your post, I think you mean to say you could “not” care less. 😎

• Thanks 2