Medallion Net - Serious Privacy Concerns

Meridian2uk

I always tick the box on any documentation “do not share my details with 3rd parties” On my recent Princess cruise the first and second names of all the cabin occupants are displayed outside the door via the locking mechanism for Medallion Net, easy to find single lady travellers which I wasn’t comfortable with. I then discovered via the Medallion App I can search the entire passenger list! I’ll explain, imagine I sit next to Fred at dinner and he works in textiles, I can go in my Medallion App and bring up a list of every Frederick on board, by each name is their photo so I can match the photo with the Fred I had dinner with. Knowing Fred’s last name and home town I have everything I need to search everything that there is about him in the public domain. I can search Companies House UK to see if he has been made bankrupt, court records to see convictions all this because Medallion Net (via Princess Cruises) gave me access to Fred’s last name.  A passenger port side in a queue didn’t seem bothered about this until the passenger behind him asked for his first name and searched on the app, found the photo to match his first name and within 3 minutes told him he had been given a Driving Under Influence of Alcohol the previous year and for the last 2 companies he was director of went bankrupt. I think this needs addressing. The staff didn’t seem concerned but said it would be mentioned to Head Office. I’ve heard nothing yet. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

With the way technology is today, anyone that wants to know about you does not need a medallion app.

Ever google someone ??? then go to linkedin  follow with ancestry...

Probably why I am so inundated with unsolicited emails.

Part of life nowadays.

Unless you want to live under a rock...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have thought the same thing as you, but never cared enough to look up anyone else's information.  In the U.S. I believe both of the matters, one being considered a criminal conviction, are public information.  

I wonder if a visit to the front desk to request that a last initial replace your full last name would do the trick...or remove the last name entirely.  If I were a single woman traveling alone I would definitely not like my name being there showing that I am in that cabin solo.  

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Meridian2uk said:

I always tick the box on any documentation “do not share my details with 3rd parties” On my recent Princess cruise the first and second names of all the cabin occupants are displayed outside the door via the locking mechanism for Medallion Net, easy to find single lady travellers which I wasn’t comfortable with. I then discovered via the Medallion App I can search the entire passenger list! I’ll explain, imagine I sit next to Fred at dinner and he works in textiles, I can go in my Medallion App and bring up a list of every Frederick on board, by each name is their photo so I can match the photo with the Fred I had dinner with. Knowing Fred’s last name and home town I have everything I need to search everything that there is about him in the public domain. I can search Companies House UK to see if he has been made bankrupt, court records to see convictions all this because Medallion Net (via Princess Cruises) gave me access to Fred’s last name.  A passenger port side in a queue didn’t seem bothered about this until the passenger behind him asked for his first name and searched on the app, found the photo to match his first name and within 3 minutes told him he had been given a Driving Under Influence of Alcohol the previous year and for the last 2 companies he was director of went bankrupt. I think this needs addressing. The staff didn’t seem concerned but said it would be mentioned to Head Office. I’ve heard nothing yet. 

Where on the App are you bringing up a list of Fred’s?   The Compass?

I used the App to locate my travel friends and family, but they also had to accept it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do understand your concern.  I am sad that the staff made you feel they were not concerned.  But there are some things to point out here.  Medallion Net is Wifi provided by satellites.  Medallion Net is NOT the same as the Medallion App or the little round device we are given to board the cruise, buy drinks, make purchases and unlock our cabin door.  All of those are related to the App, originally called Medallion Class and now shows up as just Princess on our devices.  On board the App is working on the ship's intranet, which is not the same as Wifi or internet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meridian2uk said:

The staff will use your security photo for identification. Only they will have access to it. The photo you include as you avatar can be anything. It doesn't have to be a photo of yourself. I use this image - unfortunately, I sort of look like an overweight version of this infamous celebrity 🤣:

image.jpeg.6508447ee720008399f692611e17eb99.jpeg

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

58 minutes ago, Meridian2uk said:

If privacy is your concern, creating an account online anywhere should be a concern.  I just searched for "Meridian2UK" on Google.  I'm guessing I now know your full name and home town. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I am not worried.  I introduce myself to lots of people on the ship.  I normally bring business cards with me on cruises, and I give them out as occasion warrants.  They have my name, phone, fax (yes, I still have a fax), email, and office address.  

SonomaPhil, your post has probably caused dozens of us to google the OP's handle!  I know I did!  

• Like 2

As to searching for every Fred on board, it was many years ago, but some line (Celebrity maybe?) used to print out and distribute a Directory of the Passengers.  

I do agree that publishing the names of the cabin occupants on the doors is not good for the comfort of the guests.  Regardless of gender.  

• Like 1

But why would someone go to that trouble to find out about a fellow passenger that is otherwise a complete stranger?   Would seems like a strange hobby.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

As to searching for every Fred on board, it was many years ago, but some line (Celebrity maybe?) used to print out and distribute a Directory of the Passengers.

This was common on ocean liners during their glory years, especially in first class accommodations. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

SonomaPhil, your post has probably caused dozens of us to google the OP's handle!  I know I did!  

Given the desire and 25 minutes I could probably get the OP's address, phone number and mothers maiden name.  Anyone who has done any DNA/ancestry/family tree online detective work knows all the go to web sites to get any info you want.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

The staff will use your security photo for identification. Only they will have access to it. The photo you include as you avatar can be anything. It doesn't have to be a photo of yourself. I use this image - unfortunately, I sort of look like an overweight version of this infamous celebrity 🤣:

image.jpeg.6508447ee720008399f692611e17eb99.jpeg

Mine is my cat

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

I never been on Princess , what do you mean? your name is always on on the door lock?

The names of the people in a cabin are on the screen in front of the doors. Pre medallion, they put cards with your names and loyalty levels in a holder by the door. It seemed very impersonal on other lines to not have signs of actual humans on the doors.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I have thought the same thing as you, but never cared enough to look up anyone else's information.  In the U.S. I believe both of the matters, one being considered a criminal conviction, are public information.  

I wonder if a visit to the front desk to request that a last initial replace your full last name would do the trick...or remove the last name entirely.  If I were a single woman traveling alone I would definitely not like my name being there showing that I am in that cabin solo.  

If I'm a single woman traveling alone, I lock my door. Problem solved. Lol. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

But why would someone go to that trouble to find out about a fellow passenger that is otherwise a complete stranger?   Would seems like a strange hobby.  

I don't know.  Maybe Fred is a real looker. 🙂

Before the age of medallion, your name was outside your door on a piece of paper you could remove.  Can't do that with the video display.  It could easily be a safety issue for a lady traveler.

Edited by Kay S
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I don't know.  Maybe Fred is a real looker. 🙂

Before the age of medallion, your name was outside your door on a piece of paper you could remove.  Can't do that with the video display.  It could easily be a safety issue for a lady traveler.

You can, guest services will remove it

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Shippy said:

With the way technology is today, anyone that wants to know about you does not need a medallion app.

Ever google someone ??? then go to linkedin  follow with ancestry...

Probably why I am so inundated with unsolicited emails.

Part of life nowadays.

Unless you want to live under a rock...

You need a last name/surname to google/linkedin........... Princess are giving out everyone's last names.  

• Like 1