The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday October 23rd, 2022

richwmn

13 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Fran's memorial service was yesterday afternoon at her church. I was ill and didn't attend; I also missed the service in the synagogue yesterday morning. According to reports, it was a shock: the pastor delivered a long, fire-and-brimstone sermon, condemning the listeners for sin. I don't know the custom of that church or whether that is typical at a funeral, although I've never heard of it anywhere else. About 25 people from the synagogue attended and some wondered whether it was special for them. Fran was an exceptionally kind and generous person, which made it even more unexpected.

To my taste, Oregon produces the best red Pinot Noir in the world, and I don't think I've ever drunk a white Pinot Noir from Oregon.

1801113518_winterbugs.thumb.gif.27e3a8f2f19749bb3fe6f2b821b82932.gif

That definitely does not sound like an appropriate Christian funeral,  I am left wondering how such a wonderful person as Fran ended up there, and I strongly doubt it is what she wanted.  I'm sorry your Synagogue colleagues were exposed to that, and I hope you start to feel better soon.

Roy

• Like 22

41 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of Days.  I think I will celebrate MIL day with a prayer for mine in heaven.  Love the Tolkien quote.  DH would love today’s meal.  Thanks @0106Tina for the variations 👍 

4FB3F332-EBFF-4525-B3B5-87B179CEAB62.jpeg.896d92f1a9d387095cc2deca433d5862.jpeg

Looks like my plans for today have changed - like it or not.  Spent longer on leaves and outside than planned yesterday putting me behind.  And, now I need to get on the phone to HAL reservations - no proper boarding pass for the cruise.   No bar code and nothing on Navigator but an error.  Grrr.

And out to find some type of groceries or good fake n bake for my dear friend. (I’ve been trying to clean out my fridge so don’t have much).  She was prepping her brother’s stuff for his nursing home and got the call that he passed away suddenly.  Sound familiar?  My heart is breaking for her 💔 

And hopefully get somewhere on the packing today 🤞 No rest for the wicked..

EA392228-D680-48FB-A48A-D05B63FA5547.thumb.jpeg.03d3403bd7ea2d728410ed7205f7428d.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them, for Ukraine, those suffering from Ian and Fiona and those who need them.  And a 🥂  to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Sunday everyone.  Stay safe.

I'm so sorry to hear your dear friends Brother passed away suddenly.

Sending her our deepest condolences.

G&P xx

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

That definitely does not sound like an appropriate Christian funeral,  I am left wondering how such a wonderful person as Fran ended up there, and I strongly doubt it is what she wanted.  I'm sorry your Synagogue colleagues were exposed to that, and I hope you start to feel better soon.

Roy

+1.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

Thanks for posting these.  Minor correction to Rotterdam (I am aboard now).  There are three terminals in New York:  Manhattan (which is where we are docking, on the West Side - Pier 88), Brooklyn (Red Hook, used by Cunard and Princess), and Cape Liberty, which is really in Bayonne, NJ, and is used by Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.  We (Rotterdam) are most definitely not docking at Cape Liberty.

Welcome to the Fleet Report and Daily, and thank you for that confirmation.  I have visited Cape Liberty and know first time it can only handle one ship with Celebrity beyond there the 26th and Adventure OTS the 27th, so it could certainly not handle the Rotterdam.  All 3 terminals do occasionally handle unexpected ships.  Brooklyn could easily be a candidate for the Pinnacle ships which are probably long enough to stick out into the Hudson and it might be used if it was not such a historic cruise.  There is nothing like that sail up the Hudson.  I miss it when I board QM2.  Are you getting off in New York?

Roy

• Like 18

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Welcome to the Fleet Report and Daily, and thank you for that confirmation.  I have visited Cape Liberty and know first time it can only handle one ship with Celebrity beyond there the 26th and Adventure OTS the 27th, so it could certainly not handle the Rotterdam.  All 3 terminals do occasionally handle unexpected ships.  Brooklyn could easily be a candidate for the Pinnacle ships which are probably long enough to stick out into the Hudson and it might be used if it was not such a historic cruise.  There is nothing like that sail up the Hudson.  I miss it when I board QM2.  Are you getting off in New York?

Roy

Our ship P&O Ventura was delayed for several hours at Southampton on Tuesday because of cleaning wires entangled around the propeller and we watched from our aft balcony divers going down to fix it.

While sitting on our balcony we were fortunate to see 

Queen Mary 2 sail past us.

Graham.

• Like 21

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  DH and I both had lovely mothers-in-law, and I hope I'm regarded to be even half as good as they were.  Moles are funny little creatures that wreak havoc on lawns, gardens, and fields.  Didn't know about the chemistry reference to them mole!  We don't watch any talk shows, but do remember Johnny Carson for his great wit.

It's cold and dark out there this morning; people about 2.5 hours from us in the south part of the province are already experiencing power outages due to heavy wet snow.  We will likely have snow showers, and hopefully not get any accumulation of it.  

Looking back at our memories on FB, it was 4 years ago today that we flew off to Barcelona for our last trans-Atlantic cruise.  Now we are 7 days from leaving for the next one, and the excitement is building! 

@kazuI am sorry to hear your good friend's brother passed away; what a shock that must have been for her.  She is fortunate to have you in her life to help her through.

I missed yesterday's sail-away; it seems our printer decided to give up the ghost and only print on 1 cartridge.  Tried several things - replacing the ink, head cleaning, etc., all to no avail, so over to Staples we went to get a new one.  Of course it happens after DH bought a double pkg of ink for the old one that is now useless to us.  LOL

I like today's menu suggestion, and haven't made quesadillas in ages.  It so happens we have a package of tortillas on hand and I know there is cooked ground beef in the freezer, so I think that's going to be an easy dinner tonight.  Quesadillas and salad will be on the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, especially the people of Ukraine who are so brave, and cheers for all who have celebrations in their life.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Horchata Cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Hornitos® Plata Tequila
1/2 part Coconut Water
1/2 part Almond Milk
Cinnamon, Ground
Sugar

Instructions
Add all ingredients to a shaker over ice to chill. Shake, strain and pour into a shot glass rimmed with cinnamon and sugar.

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 9.46.10 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 10

Good Sunday morning.  We had 77 degrees yesterday and 2 more days in the 70s.   Today I will dig the last 4 massive Calla lilies and then I am going to be ready for cleaning the deck and concrete patios.

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet Reports!  An interesting group of days.   I love the quote and I agree food and good cheer is the best! @StLouisCruisers Sandi thank for reminding of my old chemistry days.   I loved chemistry but being math challenged doing the calculations for labs was difficult.     I was thinking the lawn moles.  We don't have those here but the voles are terrible.  They totally wiped out three Calla lilies.  Completely disappeared from roots to leaves.   My DMIL passed away in 2001 at age 84.    She was a pip.  She was a member of the private dining room at Pimlico race course and drove there as long as she could and then her aide took her there.  She was made an invalid when somebody hit her head on on the way to the track.    @0106Thanks for doing the recipes in Debbies absence.   Today's all look like winners.  I remember the cocktail from several months ago.   The wine looks great.   Today's port is on my long term goal to get to saving up for a Grand Africa a few years from now.   I am looking forward to some photos.    

Thanks for the Cares and Celebration lists Roy @RAF.    Prayers for all on our list and for the people of Ukraine heading into winter with lack of electricity in many areas.   Putin thinks causing misery will weaken their resolve.  I don't think so.   Have a wonderful day and a shout out to all cruising today!   

black daylily and amsonia '12.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Happy Sunday Morning Dailyites!  

For lunch yesterday, we had slim pickings- there were flour tortilla's , lebanon bologna and shredded mexican cheese, so i made quesadillas with the ingredients....not bad.  Unusual, but not bad.

With the cost of groceries these days, nothing  will go to waste, so shopping list is changing, and left overs are mandatory.

I worked in the front garden yesterday, cut down one of the giant lantana, and bagged that.  Two more to go.  I cut them down before Halloween so that we can place the pumpkins out on the wall, but I'm still not sure if pumpkins are in our future this year.  DH loves carving them,  but I have noticed that while Fawn kills baby rats, not sure I want to invite them over for dinner near the house.

Grocery shopping this morning, F1 race is on this afternoon.  And I did find out that the vacuum we had was totally not working (it had previous problems, but now just blows the dust into the air) so a trip to Walmart is in my future.  

cheezburger-image-9162960896

when-your-cat-watches-too-much-food-network-37013481.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 5

Good morning from windy and partly sunny central Texas.  It looks like this will be our last day in the 80sF until after November 1.  Sometimes the old saying about being careful what you ask for can come back to bite you.  They changed the time for DH's surgery so we did not have to drive in the dark and the rain.  I like not having to leave until mid morning, but now the rain is starting between 9 and 10 am here, but not until about the time we get to hospital will it really start in Mexia.  At least, it won't be dark.  And knowing Texas weather, the rain could start even later or miss us completely.

DH and I both had two MILs, our mothers and our step mothers.  I just hope SDIL and younger DD's SO think I a good MIL.  I try not to interfere with how they live their lives, but to be there if needed.  I'll celebrate the scientific mole, but not the little critters.  The talk shows today are not as good as those in the past, which makes me sound old.

I like the J.R.R. Tolkien quote.  

We like quesadilla, but I find it easier to make fajitas.  We'll pass on the drink.  I have not tried a white pinot noir, but since I like the red pinot noirs, I'd like to sample a glass of today's wine.   

We have not been to Sharm el Sheikh, but have sailed close to the port on the way to the Suez Canal.

@msmayor  I'm glad you had a good time with your DD, DSIL and little Lana.  I hope they have a safe trip back home today.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, it was nice the dads could get Ren and the other player to the game with the bonus of visiting your DD.

@dfish  Debbie, I don't envy you packing for the move.  We did that for our last two moves.  It's the stuff you need until the last minute that is a challenge.

@kochleffel  I'm sorry you were ill and missed Fran's funeral.  That does not sound like any funeral I've attended.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope you don't suffer the same fate of power outages as those south of you.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from windy and partly sunny central Texas.  It looks like this will be our last day in the 80sF until after November 1.  Sometimes the old saying about being careful what you ask for can come back to bite you.  They changed the time for DH's surgery so we did not have to drive in the dark and the rain.  I like not having to leave until mid morning, but now the rain is starting between 9 and 10 am here, but not until about the time we get to hospital will it really start in Mexia.  At least, it won't be dark.  And knowing Texas weather, the rain could start even later or miss us completely.

DH and I both had two MILs, our mothers and our step mothers.  I just hope SDIL and younger DD's SO think I a good MIL.  I try not to interfere with how they live their lives, but to be there if needed.  I'll celebrate the scientific mole, but not the little critters.  The talk shows today are not as good as those in the past, which makes me sound old.

I like the J.R.R. Tolkien quote.  

We like quesadilla, but I find it easier to make fajitas.  We'll pass on the drink.  I have not tried a white pinot noir, but since I like the red pinot noirs, I'd like to sample a glass of today's wine.   

We have not been to Sharm el Sheikh, but have sailed close to the port on the way to the Suez Canal.

@msmayor  I'm glad you had a good time with your DD, DSIL and little Lana.  I hope they have a safe trip back home today.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, it was nice the dads could get Ren and the other player to the game with the bonus of visiting your DD.

@dfish  Debbie, I don't envy you packing for the move.  We did that for our last two moves.  It's the stuff you need until the last minute that is a challenge.

@kochleffel  I'm sorry you were ill and missed Fran's funeral.  That does not sound like any funeral I've attended.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope you don't suffer the same fate of power outages as those south of you.

Lenda

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda.

Sending you both our very best wishes for a safe journey to and back home from the hospital and a very successful surgery for your husband.

Graham 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Blessed Sunday morning! A windy start to the day. Poor birds were hanging on the feeders for dear life.

Mole day...

image.png.82f78f33169990bf88b21fc05dcdadd5.png

image.png.cc8ca259f83b0260a64752087bce9ce3.png

image.png.8736bb1ad9fb2c1c13a4e15ca2f3a311.png

My mother in law was a gem. Can't say that about my step mother.. RIP...

I enjoy white queso with crumbled hamburger and taco chips. I would happily pass on it though to share Roy's meal.

Last night's retirement party was so much fun. It was catered and there was indoor outdoor seating and plenty of jokes. Afterwards we invited a few friends over for a cocktail at the fireplace.  A great day. 

Jacqui I'm sorry to hear of your friends brother passing as well as all the hoops you're jumping thru with HAL. 

Thank you Graham for Father David's sermon and many thanks to all who contribute. 

Welcome home Dailyites! Bon Voyage Dailyites! Thank you Roy for keeping the list of cruisers.

Sending prayers to all needing them (Ukraine included) Blessings and Cheers! 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

@kazu Jacqui, our condolences to you and your friend on the loss of her brother.

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for your good wishes for tomorrow.  After the events of the past week,  DH will have in patient PT, then go to a long term facility for more PT and to rebuild his strength.  The surgeon wants him to be able to function fully before coming home.

Lenda 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone. It’s a nasty rainy day here but I’m going out for dinner with 5 other people. I’m a mother in law to 3 people and I try to be a very good one. Hopefully, they think I am.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 18

@Quartzsite Cruiser  I think the longer someone can stay in a hospital that will work with them to get well, is so much better than sending them home, thinking that it is easier there.  It is not.  It is not easier on them or the caregiver.  I'm hoping that you can get some good rest yourself, and that your DH gets all the PT he can.

I have tried calling Shari several times this week.  I get the answering machine, it allows for messages, but I have left several and no one has called back.  I guess I will email Barbara later today to see if she knows anything.  Jesse started the chemo, and did show up for the Proton Radiation, but the machine was out of service, have not heard from his wife since.  

My MIL , I am told,  is besties with DH's first wife.  She does love me, for being DH's caregiver all these years, through the cancer and all the surgeries attached to that, the heart attack, the head fractures, the lung surgery, etc, but I have only met her twice.  And I am more an after thought,  Chuck's brothers have been with their partners/spouses for more than 40 years.  I've only been part of their lives the last 22, and have only been with the family two times.  For a long time I couldn't get DH to talk with his step mom, or even think about calling his brothers.  Now he calls mom every Sunday.  We talk with his step brother (really brother as they grew up together) every three weeks, and the other brother?  Well, he did a walk about with his partner, tried to get as much money from mom as he could, tried to move in with his partners son, well if ever there were two sponges in the world, it would be those two.  But the family got wise, and have sort of disconnected from them.

And speaking of disconnected, my niece responded to one of my Jackie Lawson cards.  I have not heard from her since the pandemic started.  She has a beau, she's moved to Austin, she's in love,  and she turned into a beautiful young woman (she sent me pics).  No news of my brother or nephew, but I don't really expect any.  It wa just nice to hear from her after such a long time.

I have often considered that we lose (in general) the older people in our lives, when we are young, our parents when we are grown,  our friends and spouses when we get old.  And each time we lose someone, we grow a bit more in our hearts to be able to feel empathy for others who are going through what we have gone through.  I talk with elderly people all day (face it, older people were the ones who invested in the arts for years) it makes me so sad to hear that they wont go anywhere anymore because they have lost someone.  I worry that they will lose themselves by being by themselves.  Love life!

• Like 22

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  DH and I both had lovely mothers-in-law, and I hope I'm regarded to be even half as good as they were.  Moles are funny little creatures that wreak havoc on lawns, gardens, and fields.  Didn't know about the chemistry reference to them mole!  We don't watch any talk shows, but do remember Johnny Carson for his great wit.

It's cold and dark out there this morning; people about 2.5 hours from us in the south part of the province are already experiencing power outages due to heavy wet snow.  We will likely have snow showers, and hopefully not get any accumulation of it.  

Looking back at our memories on FB, it was 4 years ago today that we flew off to Barcelona for our last trans-Atlantic cruise.  Now we are 7 days from leaving for the next one, and the excitement is building! 

@kazuI am sorry to hear your good friend's brother passed away; what a shock that must have been for her.  She is fortunate to have you in her life to help her through.

I missed yesterday's sail-away; it seems our printer decided to give up the ghost and only print on 1 cartridge.  Tried several things - replacing the ink, head cleaning, etc., all to no avail, so over to Staples we went to get a new one.  Of course it happens after DH bought a double pkg of ink for the old one that is now useless to us.  LOL

I like today's menu suggestion, and haven't made quesadillas in ages.  It so happens we have a package of tortillas on hand and I know there is cooked ground beef in the freezer, so I think that's going to be an easy dinner tonight.  Quesadillas and salad will be on the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, especially the people of Ukraine who are so brave, and cheers for all who have celebrations in their life.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I brought my unused ink cartridges to staples when I bought the new printer and they gave me credit towards new ones. 

• Like 13

Good afternoon from Fort Lauderdale airport. We will be boarding our flight in about two hours for home. 

My MIL was very sweet to me but we lived far apart so didn’t have much time together. My DM, Craig’s MIL, has been close but the two of them aren’t close. He’s supported her but she’s kept him at a distance. I think she has always thought no one could be good for my daughter. 

I absolutely love quesadillas and think we’ll have some when we get home but we’ll have to go shopping for ingredients. I like them extra crispy!

Jacqui @kazu , Condolences to you and your friend on their loss. Also, I never could get our boarding passes to load on the Navigator app and even called HAL and even emailed Navigator support. Nothing. So I went old school and just used our paper boarding passes.  All was fine. 

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, wishing good thoughts to you and your DH on his surgery tomorrow. 

Not sure what we’ll do for the next few hours but we are at the airport and that’s a good thing. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19