How far before the devise will the princess app show all details like daily menus

uncleboo

Can you imagine Princess posting menus before a cruise, days or weeks in advance, not being able to source ingredients for whatever reason so the dish can't be made?  And the outcry from those who had preplanned their food choices and not being able to have that dish?  Not worth it.  Might even be worse than an itinerary change!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, justafem said:

Baked Alaska is always the featured dessert the last night on every cruise, not just Alaskans. 

We call the American night, 'back to reality meatloaf'.  Always always the last night.  And avoid anything called taurine, ewww. 

Remember what we’ve been told about “always” and “never”? We got off the Regal this morning. No baked Alaska, no meatloaf. 

Jim

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Kay S said:

In the distant past (like 5-7 years ago) baked Alaska was a standard last night dessert, along with the parade and napkin twirling.  The last night used to be American night with meatloaf and other regional dishes.  The wait staff wore red white and blue uniforms.  This happened on every ship I was on regardless of itinerary.

I have been sailing on Princess since 2004 and have never seen this on any ship I've been on.

21 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

Remember what we’ve been told about “always” and “never”? We got off the Regal this morning. No baked Alaska, no meatloaf. 

Jim

Our experience on Regal was the same.

Giving 100% definitive answers, only to be proven wrong, diminishes the credibility of anything else written by the poster.

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I have been sailing on Princess since 2004 and have never seen this on any ship I've been on.

Also never seen this on every Princess cruise I have been on. And it seems to be a dying thing on some other cruise lines as well. 

I never did like the twirling of napkins tradition. Who wants other table's mouth crumbs being flung onto their table? 

• Like 1

Maybe it was largely a function of Traditional Dining.  In the TD room, on the last night, one could count on servers wearing red, white and blue, the meatloaf on the menu, and at the end of the evening, a Baked Alaska parade, with the "junior waiters" carrying one each with  a  lit candle in it (later an electric tea light.) The house lights dimmed, loud music played, and the guests would twirl their napkins in the air as the  parade wound in and out around the tables.  Then the cruise director would come on over a microphone and introduce the kitchen staff, the head chef, head waiters, etc.  

Now, maybe I was hallucinating, but I had this same "hallucination" on at least 20+ of the 30+ Princess cruises I have taken.  This "never" happened on your cruise?  So shoot me for suggesting otherwise. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Things are changing with this new "Dine My Way".  It "seems" as though some higher upper makes an announcement in the dining room around 6 PM.  "Let's thank those that served you throughout the cruise".  clap clap.  I did not see the parade on my last cruise.  Previously, they did have a sort of parade of people that has gotten smaller and smaller.  Even the baked Alaska was smaller on my October cruise.  It is another domed individual replica.  Neapolitan ice cream on a cake bed, covered in meringue.  Chocolate sauce is poured on top at table side.  

All of my recent cruises have been on the West Coast so can only make comments on menu from the Grand Princess.

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

This "never" happened on your cruise?  So shoot me for suggesting otherwise. 😜

Nope - never happened on 100% of my Princess cuises, but I've only been on 5.  

Mind you, I am glad that I have never seen it. Sounds horrific !

To me it seems like a good idea to show menus prior to the cruise.   Seems it could be done in a one or two week window prior to the cruise without too much danger of a provision shortage.   I doubt they plan the menu on the day of embarkation based on what is available at the local supermarket.   🙂

I've been on a lot of Princess cruises with the baked Alaska parade.  I enjoy them, but then I enjoy things.   Don't know if it happened on our recent one because we weren't in the MDR for the last night on board.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ldubs said:

To me it seems like a good idea to show menus prior to the cruise.   Seems it could be done in a one or two week window prior to the cruise without too much danger of a provision shortage.   I doubt they plan the menu on the day of embarkation based on what is available at the local supermarket.   🙂

They actually do. They have a basic menu planned, but adjust it as needed depending on a variety of reasons, one of which is certain provisions not arriving on time. For instance, much of the buffet menus on embarkation day is based on provisions that arrive in the morning. Several semi truck loads are delivered by contracted suppliers during the morning and early afternoon based on orders placed by the head chef before the ship arrives at the end of the previous cruise.

If something is rejected and needs to be replaced - and that happens more often that you might think - or is delayed, then items originally planned have to be deleted and something is chosen to replace it. Same with the dining rooms. Some of the menu items take several hours to prepare, and if something arrives just before they depart, the menu has to be adjusted accordingly. 

I have watched every cruise ship show on TV and online that I can find - I love seeing how a cruise ship operates like a swiss watch behind the scenes - and these situations I described are a popular topic to include in the episodes. Mighty Cruise Ships and Mighty Ships on Smithsonian Channel are great series to watch for these behind the scenes details. Season 3 Episode 3 was about Regal Princess. Season 4 Episode 4 was about Diamond Princess. Good stuff!

21 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Edited by sloopsailor

On 10/26/2022 at 4:09 PM, sloopsailor said:

They actually do. They have a basic menu planned, but adjust it as needed depending on a variety of reasons, one of which is certain provisions not arriving on time. For instance, much of the buffet menus on embarkation day is based on provisions that arrive in the morning. Several semi truck loads are delivered by contracted suppliers during the morning and early afternoon based on orders placed by the head chef before the ship arrives at the end of the previous cruise.

If something is rejected and needs to be replaced - and that happens more often that you might think - or is delayed, then items originally planned have to be deleted and something is chosen to replace it. Same with the dining rooms. Some of the menu items take several hours to prepare, and if something arrives just before they depart, the menu has to be adjusted accordingly. 

I have watched every cruise ship show on TV and online that I can find - I love seeing how a cruise ship operates like a swiss watch behind the scenes - and these situations I described are a popular topic to include in the episodes. Mighty Cruise Ships and Mighty Ships on Smithsonian Channel are great series to watch for these behind the scenes details. Season 3 Episode 3 was about Regal Princess. Season 4 Episode 4 was about Diamond Princess. Good stuff!

I'm sure this happens, but I'll wager it is the exception and not the rule.  I'll stick with my earlier comments that the MDR menu could be made available prior to the cruise.    If it has to change it has to change I suppose.  

No cruise line is dumb enough to pre-publish the MDR menus in advance. That would be a disaster in the making. If any of the menus didn't match what was pre-published people would be irate and swamp the customer service desk complaining about not getting what they had been promised and demand some kind of credit for their pain and suffering. One thing that this thread has proved is how inflexible and unreasonable many people are and how quickly they will complain about even the most inconsequential things. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

No cruise line is dumb enough to pre-publish the MDR menus in advance. That would be a disaster in the making. If any of the menus didn't match what was pre-published people would be irate and swamp the customer service desk complaining about not getting what they had been promised and demand some kind of credit for their pain and suffering. One thing that this thread has proved is how inflexible and unreasonable many people are and how quickly they will complain about even the most inconsequential things. 

Kind of sad to think this might be true of a lot of passengers, and I'm not going to bet against it happening.  This could make be change my mind about the advisability of putting out the menus early.    

Question everyone should ask is are they one of these passengers.  

Everything on the cruise is subject to change itinerary  activities food.

they are professionals in business they have standard stock they always have in the pantry.

eggs milk standard items 

the bake all the breads etc

they have supplies of meat cheese fish etc vegetables.

there is no reason under the sun that they can not post menus.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, uncleboo said:

Everything on the cruise is subject to change itinerary  activities food.

they are professionals in business they have standard stock they always have in the pantry.

eggs milk standard items 

the bake all the breads etc

they have supplies of meat cheese fish etc vegetables.

there is no reason under the sun that they can not post menus.

From this I'm going to guess you have no working knowledge of how ships kitchens operate. In fact, I would wager you don't know much about how your own kitchen works. Ask your wife to give you the full, complete, guaranteed menus for every meal for the next 10 days. But be prepared to duck and run.

• Like 1

I have been on many cruises and taken kitchen tours. I have seen the menu

posted day by day,con the walls in the kitchen so the employees know the menus.

this is Bo the ships first rodeo so they definite do know far ahead what they plan to serve

this should clear up any confusion among some of you out there 

I, too, was expecting Trout Almondine for dinner.  Pre-ordered it with the Assistant Manager the night before (dietary).  Only to find out that there was no trout on the ship. Substituted with Salmon (which I do not care for).  I was glad to find out before it was served.  I am sure there is a little disclaimer somewhere that says that menu items may be substituted.  

8 hours ago, mom says said:

Ask your wife to give you the full, complete, guaranteed menus for every meal for the next 10 days.

And you shoukd ask your wife what the 10 day menu will be in three month's time as well !

On 10/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, sloopsailor said:

Celebrity puts the MDR menus (all menus) on their AP in advance of the cruise.  I have observed the menus are more accurate the closer you are to your cruise date.  I have full daily menus for my 11/3 and 11/7 cruise dates.  I have always assumed that the menus are subject to change and it has never been a “disaster”.  The menus are sometimes slightly different even a day or two before a certain day.  I just use them for rough planning, mostly to help pick out dates for Specialty dining.  I do not read a lot of complaint about the adjustments.  

IMO Princess has a pretty good idea of the menus in advance.

I have yet to experience a Medallion cruise with the newer Princess AP.  I am scheduled for 1/2023, then I can truly compare.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 5:12 PM, Thrak said:

Ummm..... Not in our experience. Baked Alaska has only been on Alaska cruises. As for turkey and meatloaf on the last day I certainly don't remember ever seeing those as last night options.

It was on our Caribbean cruise last November 

On 10/27/2022 at 7:26 PM, sloopsailor said:

No cruise line is dumb enough to pre-publish the MDR menus in advance.

You can see RCI's MDR menus in the app a good 6 months in advance. My Oasis cruise is in April 2023, but I could see the menus for at least a couple of months now. Same with my June 2022 Allure and Nov 2021 Harmony cruises.

Of course, it's the same menu fleet wide with very minor variations, but it IS prepublished months in advance.

On 10/28/2022 at 7:01 PM, mom says said:

From this I'm going to guess you have no working knowledge of how ships kitchens operate. In fact, I would wager you don't know much about how your own kitchen works. Ask your wife to give you the full, complete, guaranteed menus for every meal for the next 10 days. But be prepared to duck and run.

well, that's a skewed view. In our family my husband is the cook. I do the dishes.

And we are not going to even mention same sex couples.