How far before the devise will the princess app show all details like daily menus

uncleboo

I have the same problem.  Formal nights are usually the first sea day (prime rib/lobster on second) and never the sea day before disembarkation.  I always seem to “miss” Italian night (usually a port day). That’s the night they serve eggplant Parmesan and tiramisu. Last night is American….turkey, meatloaf, baked Alaska.  

9 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Last night is American….turkey, meatloaf, baked Alaska.  

I don't think that is universal throughout the fleet.  I certainly don't recall that menu on any European cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uncleboo said:

They need to post it so people can plan, especially when folks want to spend money to eat at specialty places. They are hurting themselves. They know basically what the menu will be

How are they hurting themselves? Book before or book after boarding- the specialties will still have bodies in seats. If you are that worried, just book them on embarkation day. Or make your best guess as to the formal nights ( they are pretty much the same on shorter cruises) and book them now. Change them once on board if you need to. It's not something to get anxious about.

• Like 2

They need to post it so people can plan, especially when folks want to spend money to eat at specialty places. They are hurting themselves. They know basically what the menu will be

Book on a port day .... I've only had 1 formal (aka Dress to Impress) night on a port day in 41 cruises. 

Want Italian? Love Alfredos (aka Gigis). Minestrone, salad, eggplant roll up, tiramisu, wine = $0. 

But FWIW specialty places (ex Salty Dog Gastropub and Bistro Sur la Mer are always full. 

2 hours ago, uncleboo said:

Actually, no they don't. Menus are printed each day and are based on what is currently available in the food storerooms. At different ports they often take on local provisions that are then included on menus over the next few days. They have a guideline as to what is targeted for menus, but availability will dictate what the menus actually are each night.

Menus can vary by cruise depending on what provisions they have available. 

• Like 2

Watch for a "Live From" or trip report from the same cruise in the weeks before yours.  Some will post menus and let you know which are formal. Basically the formal nights and menus will be the same on your cruise with minor exceptions. 

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have the same problem.  Formal nights are usually the first sea day (prime rib/lobster on second) and never the sea day before disembarkation.  I always seem to “miss” Italian night (usually a port day). That’s the night they serve eggplant Parmesan and tiramisu. Last night is American….turkey, meatloaf, baked Alaska.  

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

I don't think that is universal throughout the fleet.  I certainly don't recall that menu on any European cruise.

No American theme night in 24 nights on Regal Princess in Mediterranean zone.

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Last night is American….turkey, meatloaf, baked Alaska.  

Ummm..... Not in our experience. Baked Alaska has only been on Alaska cruises. As for turkey and meatloaf on the last day I certainly don't remember ever seeing those as last night options.

So the Italian restaurant has no cover charge?

And basically knows what  food. They  are going to serve! It’s supposed to be all about the passengers who are the customers to keep the business rolling and the ships sailing the technology and everything they could always have a basic menu and change it at the last minute I put on that subject to change that people can have an idea what they would like to have that’s not asking too much in this day and age

3 minutes ago, uncleboo said:

And basically knows what  food. They  are going to serve! It’s supposed to be all about the passengers who are the customers to keep the business rolling and the ships sailing the technology and everything they could always have a basic menu and change it at the last minute I put on that subject to change that people can have an idea what they would like to have that’s not asking too much in this day and age

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say. But my best guess is that you are assuming a lot, most likely based solely on what you want,rather than reality.

Which "Italian" restaurant are you asking about? I believe you are on the Enchanted. Sabatini's is a specialty restaurant. Gigi's is a pizzeria and is included.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, uncleboo said:

So, you are saying that menus should be confirmed months in advance ! And then, if due to product shortages, staff issues etc, the menus are changed,  no doubt you will come on here to complain !

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, uncleboo said:

And then when that change occurs there is sure to those one or two passengers that will make a big issue about the change and demand restitution. 

• Like 2

No Sabatinis charges (was $25, not positive now) while Gigis (Alfredos on older ships, same menu) is free. It's billed as a pizzeria but it has several salads, appetizers, minestrone, 2 pasta (non pizza) hot main courses, and 2 desserts. I prefer the apple torte with gelato but others prefer the tiramisu.  It's just 4 courses (i guess 5 if you get the appetizer too) while Sabatinis is 5 courses. I cannot eat it all anyway

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Ummm..... Not in our experience. Baked Alaska has only been on Alaska cruises. As for turkey and meatloaf on the last day I certainly don't remember ever seeing those as last night options.

In the distant past (like 5-7 years ago) baked Alaska was a standard last night dessert, along with the parade and napkin twirling.  The last night used to be American night with meatloaf and other regional dishes.  The wait staff wore red white and blue uniforms.  This happened on every ship I was on regardless of itinerary.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, uncleboo said:

I understand you are new to Princess and trying to gather information.  But, my recommendation, is to sit back and enjoy your new experiences.  

On some ships (I can only speak about the Grand Princess) there is an Italian night. The menu options include fried calamari, eggplant parmesan, veal something, tiramisu, and a few other choices.  

This is no charge for eating in the MDR.

There is a $25 cover charge for dining at Sabatini's.  It is a upscale experience. The service is excellent. You pick one item from each of 5 sections on the menu.  I was never a fan of this restaurant, but have to admit that the menu was better than I had anticipated.    I ate there several more times.  Still a fan of the Crown Grill, though.  You can see both menus on the Princess Website.  https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

ALL cruise lines are at the mercy of their suppliers.  If the ingredient isn't available, they will have to change the menu.  Even options week to week will change.  I have my favorites and have "rarely" been disappointed with my MDR meals.  I am not a buffet person.  I love Alfredo's on the Grand and heard that GiGi's on the Royal Class ships have a more expanded (free) menu.  

If you have access to "Mighty Cruise Ships" on your paid television subscription, it gives you an idea what happens behind the scenes to make a cruise ship float.

Food is very subjective.  Leave room on your cruise to be surprised.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I love Alfredo's on the Grand and heard that GiGi's on the Royal Class ships have a more expanded (free) menu.  

Gigi's is only on Enchanted Princess and Discovery Princess. The other four Royal class ships have Alfredo's. 

1 hour ago, sloopsailor said:

Gigi's is only on Enchanted Princess and Discovery Princess. The other four Royal class ships have Alfredo's. 

I wouldn't know what it is called on the Royal Ships since I don't have any desire to sail on them.  I did hear that (whatever the sit down pizza venue is called) has a lot more options than the Grand Class ships. 

Again, Princess fails to distinguish between services.  People who have experienced the Royal Class Alfredo's will be disappointed if they sail on a Grand Class.  Couldn't Princess think of a different name??????

4 hours ago, Kay S said:

In the distant past (like 5-7 years ago) baked Alaska was a standard last night dessert, along with the parade and napkin twirling.  The last night used to be American night with meatloaf and other regional dishes.  The wait staff wore red white and blue uniforms.  This happened on every ship I was on regardless of itinerary.

I'm pretty sure that is still the case! I had baked Alaska in early February on the Regal, which was definitely not in Alaska. I've also read a recent trip report and they had baked Alaska and the parade!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

Baked Alaska is always the featured dessert the last night on every cruise, not just Alaskans. 

We call the American night, 'back to reality meatloaf'.  Always always the last night.  And avoid anything called taurine, ewww.