How many pairs of shoes do you take on a cruise?

Sigyn

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Slippers is something that I pack in my carry-on bag when I fly.  On overnight flights, I slip off my shoes and put on my slippers.  The socks that the airline supplies are OK, but, walking in the aisle in the dark to go to the loo, stubbing a toe against a hard surface in those socks might result in a broken toe.  

I was never on an overnight flight.

45 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Slippers is something that I pack in my carry-on bag when I fly.  On overnight flights, I slip off my shoes and put on my slippers.  The socks that the airline supplies are OK, but, walking in the aisle in the dark to go to the loo, stubbing a toe against a hard surface in those socks might result in a broken toe.  

This is a very good idea, especially for those long flights.  My daughter gave me a pair of Ugg slippers a while back.  They are coming along on our next long flight.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

This is a very good idea, especially for those long flights.  My daughter gave me a pair of Ugg slippers a while back.  They are coming along on our next long flight.   

The only issue I'd have switching to slippers on long flights would be my feet swelling and not being able to get my regular shoes back on to get off the plane.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My Hokas, loosely laced, are just as comfortable and serve the same purpose without having to bring a separate pair of shoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

The only issue I'd have switching to slippers on long flights would be my feet swelling and not being able to get my regular shoes back on to get off the plane.

Good point.  I started wearing compression socks.  I wonder if that will help. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

My Hokas, loosely laced, are just as comfortable and serve the same purpose without having to bring a separate pair of shoes.

Thanks.  Sometimes a thing is so simple I want to slap myself in the head for not thinking of it.   My new pair of Hoka Bondi 8's have what they call a "gusseted tongue".  The older style didn't have that.  I thought that feature might make it harder, but upon checking I  am able to loosen them up quite a bit.  I have a coast-to-coast flight tomorrow. I'll give it a try.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I love the idea of slippers for a long flight. I've seen some passengers go barefoot. That is just gross!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Thanks.  Sometimes a thing is so simple I want to slap myself in the head for not thinking of it.   My new pair of Hoka Bondi 8's have what they call a "gusseted tongue".  The older style didn't have that.  I thought that feature might make it harder, but upon checking I  am able to loosen them up quite a bit.  I have a coast-to-coast flight tomorrow. I'll give it a try.     

I had to google "Hoka Bondi 8"

1 minute ago, njsmom said:

I had to google "Hoka Bondi 8"

Hoka is just a sneaker brand that works well for me.  The Bondi is the model, then version 8 I guess.  My previous ones were Bondi 5 or 6, I'm not sure exactly.   

Typically four, including the ones I wear on the plane, but not counting the flat, foldable slippers I change into on longer or overnight flights.   One pair of tennis shoes of the type that are sturdy enough for comfortable walking for long periods of time, and a second pair of comfortable walking shoes - generally low boots with grippy treads if in a cooler climate, or a second pair of walking tennis shoes if warmer weather.  (I have small feet and shoes are hard enough for me to find in the US; if something happened to one pair of my off-the-ship/walking/hiking/excursions shoes and it was the only pair I had, I would be in big trouble for the rest of the cruise.)  Pair #3 is a pair of dressy flats - or dressy boots with a small heel - again depending on climate, that go with anything I might wear in the evening, from dresses to knit pants with tunics, etc.  Pair #4 is a pair of flat flip flops or slides - in warm climates - for hanging out on the ship during sea days, going to the pool or spa, doing laundry, eating outside, etc.  If it's a cool climate cruise, I generally substitute flat Ugg slippers with hard soles for the flip flops or slides.  

11 hours ago, njsmom said:

I have been on three cruises. I always take too many shoes, about 5-6 pairs. How many pairs do you take?

Take as many shoes as you want (and your hubby can fit into his suitcase). That's Mrs. Dawg's strategy.  😉

Between 4 to 7.  I think I took 5 or so on last cruise (August).  I may take 8 pair on an upcoming two week cruise, lol.    I like options and I tend to change clothing for dinner each evening.  I typically take slippers for cabin, workout shoe, black flat sandals, brown flat sandals, black heels and a silver or gold open toe heel.  Also I may take a second pair of sports shoe for casual wear.  Fortunately I will not need to fly for the upcoming cruise (live 30 minutes from the port).  

• Like 1

True Confession time:  During my first cruise, I packed one pair of dress black shoes, one pair of dress brown shoes (when I wore a brown suit), a pair of white shoes for causal nights at sea, a pair of slippers, and wore a canvass lace-up shoe as my embarkation shoe and daily shoe around the ship and ashore.  I wised up after that cruise!  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

I typically take 4 pair - white sneakers, casual tan sandals with a heel, black heels, and gold leather slides. After years of cruising, those 4 pairs of shoes will work with anything I pack. 

You are lucky to be able to do this.

I have been cruising since  1969 and still manage to overpack both clothes and shoes…. I like to have choices !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

I have been cruising since  1969 and still manage to overpack both clothes and shoes…. I like to have choices !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the end of the day it's your vacation and your choice -- and if that's your happy place, then go for it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Oh, I still way overpack clothes, but I've at least got my shoe situation figured out! It helps that I do my best to pack mix and match outfits in the same color families. We managed a 24-night cruise followed by 2 or 3 weeks of travel through Italy, France, and England with one suitcase and a carry on each! 

• Like 1