Three strange questions...??

Jez1982

Hi all! I'll be going on my first cruise with my mom on Dec 2, Princess Sapphire, 17 days South America. As a first time cruiser, I have a few questions. I called ***** (where I booked the cruise) and the person didn't know the answers. And then I called Princess itself, twice, and both people didn't know the answers (it seems they were just searching a computer to find the answers, ie, they hadn't ever been on a cruise themselves). So I found this place and decided to ask people who have actually gone on cruises!! So hopefully you can answer them for me!

1) Just how strong and reliable is the MedallionNet internet? I teach online with Zoom, and wasn't planning on teaching, but the school just contacted me and asked if I would teach a class on two while I'm on the cruise. Is the internet strong enough to have a two hour Zoom meeting? It says you can stream movies, and I'm guessing if we can do that then having Zoom meetings is doable? What do those of you who've used the internet onboard think?

2) I've read online that, with some cruise lines, you must 'surrender' your passport when you board. Is Princess like this? 

3) I've also read that if you buy cigarettes at duty free at one of the ports, you must hand the carton in when you board the ship, and they give it back to you only when the cruise ends. Is this true? (and, please, for those anti-smokers out there, yes, I know it's a bad habit, so no comments about how I should just give it up...I've read the anti-smoking thread here...)

Many thanks!! 🙂

I've never been on the internet that long so I can't really answer that question. It doesn't seem to be very fast in my opinion though. Princess has never taken my passport on any of our cruises with them. I've never had to hand over our cartons of cigarettes either. We've never had a problem buying a carton or two and just carrying them on at any port.

• Like 2

shanecindy21403 answered 2 and 3 so I'll try the first one.

#1 There is a six-minute video on how Medallion Net works, this may help. But you will have to get some more opinions from more recent cruisers.

Go on the Princess website and click on "On Board Our Ships". The center column is Ship Information and click on "Best Wi-Fi at Sea". Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click watch video.

I attached the link but I'm not sure it will work correctly so that's why went through the process.

Good luck and have fun on your first cruise.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/video/onboard-experience/how-medallionnet-works.html

• Like 1

The internet is up and down and depends on where you are. The Dec 2 cruise may be in a reasonable area but I would not count on it.

Sometimes they take your passport. That is done in places where they handle the immigration checks so you do not have to. I was not thrilled when it first happened but I understand it now particularly after standing in long lines in places where we had our passports. For example, entering Brazil on the Amazon, we stopped at a town and the immigration official came out and went through the boxes fo passports and left. In Japan it took maybe two hours to get back on the ship.

• Like 4

I would not commit to doing anything on the ships internet.    Service is slow to non-existent  at times.  
You will more than likely be required to surrender your passport.   You will be given a copy for use on shore.   Pre-Covid we were required to surrender our passports on this itinerary.

• Like 4

This is only my opinion so take it for what it is worth. When we sailed around south america the internet degraded seriously once we passed the area near the Amazon and did not return to half decent service until we reached the west coast of Costa Rica or so. I don't think you will have a lot of success with Zoom classes.

• Like 4

I would not try to track a zoom class on ships internet way to unreliable. It is fine to check on email and check news but I wouldn’t commit to beyond that. Giving up passports depends on itinerary. I have had to give them up on some transatlantic cruises depending on ports

• Like 2

Thanks so much everyone for the answers so far!  You've been very helpful. I guess the Zoom classes won't be happening...!

And...now I have a follow-up question about the passport. The reason I asked is that, through Princess, I can get an excursion to fly over the Nazca Lines...for $800!! But online I've found companies that do it for (I can't remember the price, but it's much cheaper). These companies, though, require my passport, and not a copy. If they take away my passport at the beginning of the cruise, can I request it when we reach that port...?

This forum really is so fantastic! I thought I might have to wait hours/days for replies, but so many of you have already answered, and I thank you for that!!!

24 minutes ago, NownZen said:

The internet is up and down and depends on where you are. The Dec 2 cruise may be in a reasonable area but I would not count on it.

Sometimes they take your passport. That is done in places where they handle the immigration checks so you do not have to. I was not thrilled when it first happened but I understand it now particularly after standing in long lines in places where we had our passports. For example, entering Brazil on the Amazon, we stopped at a town and the immigration official came out and went through the boxes fo passports and left. In Japan it took maybe two hours to get back on the ship.

I agree completely about the passport, especially the part about not thrilled the first time it happened and then understanding the benefits of it.

They have a very good system, I wouldn't worry about it.  Just keep on your Room Steward's good side, he or she will collect and return it. 😁

• Like 2

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  I can't really add anything to what's already been said but I totally agree that it would probably be a big mistake to absolutely need the internet for something like a Zoom class.  Transatlantics, Alaska sailings...most anywhere that is not near major population centers just doesn't seem to be working for Princess' "Best WiFi at Sea" campaign.  The general consensus is that Princess was under contract with SES Networks back in 2020 when the ad campaign was started and *something* has changed that drastically affected the deliverable to the ships.  You can easily find A LOT of threads here complaining about internet speed...or lack of internet altogether.

It sounds like a great cruise, though.  I have my eye on that itinerary myself.  I'm sure you will have a great time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tobacco products won’t be collected after purchase ashore.  

As for the passport, they’ll ask for it well in advance of the port(s) where it’s needed.  In most cases it’s possible to either delay the surrender until just before that port or get it processed quickly.  I’ve needed mine for banking purposes onshore and the only problem port was Panama.  The ship departure was actually delayed because the authorities hadn’t finished processing the passports!

• Like 1

The first time ot two when I was forced to surrender my passport I was not a happy camper.  But once I had to stand in line for an in-person immigration check, I was happy to surrender it to the ship personnel.

I do, however, photocopy and laminate the photo page of my passport and keep it with me. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

The first time ot two when I was forced to surrender my passport I was not a happy camper.  But once I had to stand in line for an in-person immigration check, I was happy to surrender it to the ship personnel.

I do, however, photocopy and laminate the photo page of my passport and keep it with me. 

The last line is good advice. When going ashore we leave our passports in the safe unless we are required to have it on our person, which is not common. Having a copy is good in case something happens while off the ship, such as an injury requiring hospitalization

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

The last line is good advice. When going ashore we leave our passports in the safe unless we are required to have it on our person, which is not common. Having a copy is good in case something happens while off the ship, such as an injury requiring hospitalization

Thanks.  Plus once it's laminated it looks official enough that it works as a photo of ID to get back on the ship in ports around the world.  It's never been questioned.

• Like 1

Re internet, I concur with what others have said. We found we could look at Facebook for e.g., but could not look at comments on a post. I was doing DuoLingo and I couldn’t reliably do some lessons. It’s kind of like “internet light”. You might get some better responses if you post a new question in princess forum with title such as name of ship, itinerary, and “zoom - could I teach while on the ship”? You’ll get others responding who have tried to be on zoom. It is ship and location specific too, so someone may say no problem on an east coast US itinerary, but your itinerary, as someone has already commented, might not have great internet. I know Alaska is weak, for e.g.

• Like 1

Surrendering your passport to the ship personnel can make life much simpler when immigration  processing  is necessary  during the cruise. When we needed ours for an overnight off the ship, it was a simple matter  of going to Guest Services  and asking for it. Don't forget to give it back when you reboard.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks.  Plus once it's laminated it looks official enough that it works as a photo of ID to get back on the ship in ports around the world.  It's never been questioned.

We have never been asked for an ID when getting back on the ship. The cruise card (and now the medallion) scan brings up a picture. We do however, carry a copy of the passport with us .

• Like 1

Did the 14 day South America cruise on Star Princess in February 2019.

internet was unreliable 

I take a digital copy of my documents & leave passport in cabin safe unless port requires it be carried 

liquor ( over your carry on limit) is held until end of cruise 

( can pay corkage fee for excess wine brought on board- if you take it to dining room)

cigs- never heard of them being held

enjoy! Fantastic cruise 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NownZen said:

We have never been asked for an ID when getting back on the ship. The cruise card (and now the medallion) scan brings up a picture. We do however, carry a copy of the passport with us .

In my experience it's been port authorities that require photo ID and it's usually in third world or totalitarian countries. 

• Like 1