Man Overboard on Carnival Valor found alive

BlerkOne

2 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I kinda knew your response was sarcasm .. I just didn't want to respond  in a way that sounded like I thought Canada was superior in terms of employment benefits (and laws).. 😉

Different job benefits as well as different healthcare systems is part of what differentiates Canada from the lower 48.

23 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I kinda knew your response was sarcasm .. I just didn't want to respond  in a way that sounded like I thought Canada was superior in terms of employment benefits (and laws).. 😉

Does Canadian insurance cover self-inflicted, drunken stupidity?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Forensics 101:  Pinpoint last verified location onboard, next, plot distance to the nearest passages that lead to a point where one could conceivably "fall overboard", do a thorough THOROUGH examination of these locations, specifically for traces of urine and fingerprints.  Triangulate these locations with any/all cameras/sensors that are within sight of these locations where he could've "fallen overboard" and review all recorded images.  Finally, check if he was first born child in his family.  If he was, it's clearly a case of younger sibling hate/rage/jealousy. 

That last sentence was an attempt at humor. 

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2022 at 2:38 AM, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

How do you fall off of a ship and survive that without injury somehow and then tread water in an area where sharks and gators are and some how survive is boarding on insanity. 

I doubt very seriously there are gators 20 miles south of SW pass.

On 11/26/2022 at 3:54 PM, kathy49 said:

media reports indicate that he seemed to have issues finding the right spots to "vape" in and his family said he was probably drunk.  I think this guy should be charged the full amount this cost the coast guard and what an extraordinary job finding him. Carnival sure has some issues with passenger behavior.

You cannot blame Carnival for passenger behavior - people need to be held accountable for their own behavior.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Dippy Dawg said:

Carnival sure has some issues with passenger behavior.

16 hours ago, Dippy Dawg said:

You cannot blame Carnival for passenger behavior - people need to be held accountable for their own behavior.

Maybe the poster meant to say:

"Carnival sure has some issues with the types of passenger they seem to now attract and their typical boorish/stupid behavior."

I'm not saying that...just extrapolating.

• Like 2

This interview with the man who miraculously survived last week’s fall off the Valor does not remember falling off, but claims he was not drunk.  I know it’s possible perhaps, but this does not convince me it really happened as reported.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11495013/Passenger-28-reveals-PASSED-treading-water-20-HOURS.html

“I  had taken off my socks and everything waving them around my head trying to do something where they would see me and when that light finally hit me, I heard it, we got him and seen a guy coming down from the helicopter and it was coming towards me and right there I thought, man, I see the light.

‘Well, the first thing I actually told him, I don't have any clothes on because I didn't. I stripped out of everything.

‘He said that's fine. I was like, okay, he told me to hold on to this life vest and I was just thinking, thank you, you are like a guardian angel.”

I just don’t know about this.  Had taken off his socks to wave them around his head to get the rescuers to see him?  He still had his socks on after 20 hours in the water?  

I want to believe in this miracle, but it’s a stretch for me.

Edited by CarolSW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 9:58 PM, Eli_6 said:

Someone posted on here a year or two ago that they had a jumper on a cruise ship they were on once. Multiple people saw him jump. Ship stopped, put in a lifeboat, and they pulled him out of the water...and he was ok.  For some reason, I thought that it was a cruise to Hawaii, but I could be wrong.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:30 PM, cruises42 said:

We were on that cruise. It was a 15 day from San Diego to Hawaii in 2012. He jumped around 1 PM from the Lido, so many people saw him. They took him to the hospital at our first HI port. I don't know how injured he was.

Yes, I was on that ship too. They had just announced that we had passed the point of no return on the sailing. He jumped and was thrown the life ring buoy.

It took a while for the ship to stop and turn back but he was easily found with the tracker on the life buoy.

1 hour ago, Tnlynch81 said:

Hopefully his 15 minutes of fame is short lived... not a fan of the light heartedness of the GMA segment

Yeah it made him seem like some sort of a hero. Totally glazed over the fact that he had to climb up and over to fall in. He didn’t walk into the bathroom and fall in. Door to open ocean or what not. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, CarolSW said:

This interview with the man who miraculously survived last week’s fall off the Valor does not remember falling off, but claims he was not drunk.  I know it’s possible perhaps, but this does not convince me it really happened as reported.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11495013/Passenger-28-reveals-PASSED-treading-water-20-HOURS.html

“I  had taken off my socks and everything waving them around my head trying to do something where they would see me and when that light finally hit me, I heard it, we got him and seen a guy coming down from the helicopter and it was coming towards me and right there I thought, man, I see the light.

‘Well, the first thing I actually told him, I don't have any clothes on because I didn't. I stripped out of everything.

‘He said that's fine. I was like, okay, he told me to hold on to this life vest and I was just thinking, thank you, you are like a guardian angel.”

I just don’t know about this.  Had taken off his socks to wave them around his head to get the rescuers to see him?  He still had his socks on after 20 hours in the water?  

I want to believe in this miracle, but it’s a stretch for me.

He had no clothing except his socks which he saved to wave in case he saw the light from a possibe rescuer?????? Does that sound plausible to anyone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Yeah it made him seem like some sort of a hero. Totally glazed over the fact that he had to climb up and over to fall in. He didn’t walk into the bathroom and fall in. Door to open ocean or what not. 

Maybe he flushed the toilet while sitting on it?

• Haha 5

Wow, I was hoping for more information, but none of this story adds up. He remembers everything except how he fell off the ship! He thinks he was unconscious in the water long enough for the ship to get out of sight, but somehow did not drown while unconscious. Naked except for socks when found. Sounds like he was doing something so stupid that he just does not want to tell us about it. 

• Like 6