Wonder of the Seas - Medical Diversion, delay

sharktums

1 hour ago, sharktums said:

Patient and family are in ambulance and they are pulling the dock up now. Hoping for an update in the next hour or so. For those of you talking in the thread about rumors, the current talk near me is that it was a man in his 60’s who suffered a heart attack or stroke near windjammer this morning. 

So not a drunk fall at 10am?  Interesting.  Also interesting to keep a heart attack or stroke victim stable for 8 hours.  Not easy 

We’ve had several alpha calls. It could have been a heart attack/stroke patient or it could have been the woman who fell and cracked her face open. In any case, I feel for the families who have had to deal. We’ve seen an ambulance at each of our ports. 

no update yet. Apparently the play scape was closed because all 5 engines were fired and there’s a ton of soot flying.  The woman who fell was on the other side near the windjammer. I misspoke there. 

rumor has it arrival is 12-2:30. I’m sure we will update here as we get updates but right now it’s 11:00 ship time with no update. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Is there room for 5000 people there at Grills?

As you well know there are multiple restaurants along the port area and I highly doubt very few if any are going to bother to take this advice. 

Most would rather stand outside the doors of the terminal forever and complain.

Just trying to help out those that may want a more civilized wait….😎

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 4

Just now, myacuna said:

We’re definitely crawling again (thankful for that tbh) but I wonder if he will speed it up tonight? Don’t forget to fall back again tonight. I guess we will get an update in the am.

People seem generally pleasant at least. I’m waiting to see what the update is before I make any decisions. At least we’ve driven to port from NC. 

For what it's worth I just came from guest services. All they're telling people is the same token 4:00 p.m. arrival time, but the lady did hint that that answer is most likely to change tomorrow morning after the captain has had a chance to talk to corporate office in Miami.

I'm guessing they still have to factor in weather, wind, comfort to everyone if we try to maintain a faster speed, Plus if they're going to come in Monday morning canceling an entire day off the next cruise is all kinds of logistical challenges they need to figure out.

• Thanks 2

Many years ago we were scheduled to sail on a 10 nt on the Explorer from Cape Liberty,  yes many years ago.  Dh called me while out shopping a day before to let me know the ship was delayed, by at least 1 day.  The ship had been in St. Thomas I think. A passenger had had a car accident,  didn't think he was hurt, reboarded the ship, the ship left and then realized how badly he was hurt. Ship turned and headed to San Juan where passenger was met by USCG helicopter.   Heard his wife called her son to fly down to meet him since they didn't evacuate her. 12 hours there and back for the ship.  Royal notified passengers, met passengers at airports and port and transferred them to hotel. We got a refund, more than the 1 day we lost.   It happens. 

26 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Many years ago we were scheduled to sail on a 10 nt on the Explorer from Cape Liberty,  yes many years ago.  Dh called me while out shopping a day before to let me know the ship was delayed, by at least 1 day.  The ship had been in St. Thomas I think. A passenger had had a car accident,  didn't think he was hurt, reboarded the ship, the ship left and then realized how badly he was hurt. Ship turned and headed to San Juan where passenger was met by USCG helicopter.   Heard his wife called her son to fly down to meet him since they didn't evacuate her. 12 hours there and back for the ship.  Royal notified passengers, met passengers at airports and port and transferred them to hotel. We got a refund, more than the 1 day we lost.   It happens. 

I dont think it's the next cruise as big of a concern as those on this cruise who will miss their flights.

Already I'm  hearing could be rain delays tomorrow pushing some into sunday to scramble ... and now these folks. Maybe if the weather impacts they can change flights no charge. I'm booked nonrefundable American to and from miami. I'd be concerned.  

Being Thanksgiving weekend might make it harder to reschedule flights home. 

If I was there and had to wait and I'm sure get some compensation... as long as I was there I wouldnt be as worried. 

Edited by firefly333

Not sure if my math is correct but it's 1400 nautical miles from PR to Canaveral, we left about 10pm, and currently doing 21.4kts. even if we cranked it, no way we are getting home until VERY LATE Sunday, most likely Monday. Anyone know the Max speed of an Oasis class ship? At 22kts, we'd arrive 10am Monday. I think we were going 24kts when heading towards PR, so my guess is we arrive between midnight and 6am Monday morning.

My guess is that next weeks voyage will not board until Monday

This week's may arrive later in the day Sunday or early Monday morning but even if they arrived early afternoon on Sunday it would be a logistical nightmare to get guests offloaded and load new passengers into the evening.

If they arrive Sunday they may give guests the option of disembarking then or disembarking in the am and then board guests at 11 am as normal...just a full day late. 

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think it's the next cruise as big of a concern as those on this cruise who will miss their flights.

Already I'm  hearing could be rain delays tomorrow pushing some into sunday to scramble ... and now these folks. Maybe if the weather impacts they can change flights no charge. I'm booked nonrefundable American to and from miami. I'd be concerned.  

Royal will pay for most of change fees.  According to Marinetraffic, due into port Canaveral Sunday 2:30 pm

4 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Not sure if my math is correct but it's 1400 nautical miles from PR to Canaveral, we left about 10pm, and currently doing 21.4kts. even if we cranked it, no way we are getting home until VERY LATE Sunday, most likely Monday. Anyone know the Max speed of an Oasis class ship? At 22kts, we'd arrive 10am Monday. I think we were going 24kts when heading towards PR, so my guess is we arrive between midnight and 6am Monday morning.

Follow on Marinetraffic.com.  scheduled in at 2:30.

They will disembark passengers that day and board later that day.  They've done it before. 

Edited by njkruzer

28 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Follow on Marinetraffic.com.  scheduled in at 2:30.

They will disembark passengers that day and board later that day.  They've done it before. 

I know that's what marine traffic says, but mathematically that is impossible. The ship would have to average 35kts to achieve that time.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Being Thanksgiving weekend might make it harder to reschedule flights home. 

If I was there and had to wait and I'm sure get some compensation... as long as I was there I wouldnt be as worried. 

Been easy last 2.5 yrs was allowed to change over dozen flights, no charge. Everything getting back to normal with fees to change or no cancellation, been spoiled. PreCV I Cruised about Dozen times Thanksgiving-Xmas. Last one did ended on Dec 22 and we were delayed last us getting off about 1055am, line was out the door at FLL. I had a 3pm Flight but saw/heard many missed Flights told at Airport they might not make it home before Xmas

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

People waiting, no matter what emails/texts they send out, is inevitable. Folks flying in have no where to go other than the port. And folks flying in a day before have to vacate hotels by noon need to go somewhere. With the ship's arrival around 4 pm, boarding won't start for another 4ish hours. It will be very ugly in the terminal. Bring food and drink, and find a comfortable spot to camp out... for hours.

Weird thing is almost every time Hotels been at have late Sunday checkouts, 2-3pm as less spend Sunday nite at them. But no benefit to me, I'm always at Pier by 1020am

49 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Been easy last 2.5 yrs was allowed to change over dozen flights, no charge. Everything getting back to normal with fees to change or no cancellation, been spoiled. PreCV I Cruised about Dozen times Thanksgiving-Xmas. Last one did ended on Dec 22 and we were delayed last us getting off about 1055am, line was out the door at FLL. I had a 3pm Flight but saw/heard many missed Flights told at Airport they might not make it home before Xmas

At least this is after the holiday, and sunday night as you said not as hard typically to get a hotel, but florida is going into season.. though orlando is cheap  .. just not the beach area by the port. 

I'm crossing my fingers for flying to Miami for oasis during spring break. If something like this goes haywire wouldnt be cheap or easy to rebook smack dab during miami spring break. Holidays aren't a good time for this. Sorry for the folks both directions. The higher fare for a family could be expensive to rebook. Thanksgiving typically starts season in south florida. I used to live in boca and every price doubled.

2 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Royal will pay for most of change fees.  According to Marinetraffic, due into port Canaveral Sunday 2:30 pm

Sort of. When we were on Majesty out of NOLA in February 2020. (right before shutdown) there was a storm in the Gulf and our return was delayed until 1PM. RC provided $200 p/p in change fees. We booked with SWA, so there were no change fees.... BUT. The last-minute airfare was $800 over from our original flights. It was nice to get some of it back, but still expensive. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sharktums said:

FYI - On wonder right now and captain just announced we’re on our way to San Juan for a medical emergency. He anticipates this will delay our arrival back to Port Canaveral until 4pm which will obviously delay the next departure. Just a heads up to anyone on the next sailing. Hope the injured/sick passenger recovers. 

Thanks.  We are on Jewel moving to Wonder for the next cruise.  This delay will impact us.  Following.

58 minutes ago, JCDCA said:

The fanboys can say all they want.  The captain still hasn’t bothered to make a single announcement. 

The first post indicates the Captain made an announcement.  Is it possible you just did not hear it, JCDCA?

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Thanks.  We are on Jewel moving to Wonder for the next cruise.  This delay will impact us.  Following.

The first post indicates the Captain made an announcement.  Is it possible you just did not hear it, JCDCA?

I think they mean, it sounds like there has been no updates from the captain to keep people informed

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

My guess is that next weeks voyage will not board until Monday

This week's may arrive later in the day Sunday or early Monday morning but even if they arrived early afternoon on Sunday it would be a logistical nightmare to get guests offloaded and load new passengers into the evening.

If they arrive Sunday they may give guests the option of disembarking then or disembarking in the am and then board guests at 11 am as normal...just a full day late. 

Thanks Ken, doesn’t Independence need the dock on Monday?

Sounds like it will be a mess regardless of the arrival time. We all realize the patient must’ve been in severe medical distress for this type of diversion. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1

I am on the ship...the Captain made several announcements beginning around 1230 pm Friday. At that point, he stated that the ship would be delayed arriving at Port Canaveral. He mentioned that we would arrive in San Juan around 8:00 pm and could possibly arrive in Port Canaveral around 4:00 pm Sunday. He made several other announcements as well. Also, the cruise director made an announcement in the cabins around 3:00 pm explaining the situation as well. 

We departed the port in San Juan at 9:00 pm Friday night. Based on the distance and our top speed of 22.5 kts, I don't see us arriving prior to early Monday morning. 

Cheers! 

Brad

Just now, chengkp75 said:

While I don't believe that a Sunday afternoon timing is possible, remember that the ship will have the Gulf Stream with her, and I have personally seen this add 6 knots to a ship's maximum speed.

That's a great point! I just checked the TV and we are currently doing 23.6 kts. Looking at the map, it seems like Sunday at 6 or 7 pm may be possible. Guest services just told me 4 pm, but I find that difficult to believe. 

I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Regards. 

9 hours ago, jrapps said:

Not sure if my math is correct but it's 1400 nautical miles from PR to Canaveral

I think your math may be off by about 400 nautical miles - it can be more like 1,000 depending on which route the captain is allowed to take.