Wonder of the Seas - Medical Diversion, delay

sharktums

13 minutes ago, lucyrio said:

Lest we all forget the fiasco of the 5 days before this when the app was not working, website was not working properly, you couldn't book anything, and when you did it didn't take it properly.  All of that was unacceptable.  I still have a charge that's wrong on my credit card because of a cancelled refreshment package that wasn't taken off my credit card.  I'm glad the person got the medical attention they did, but RC should have protocols  procedures in place to deal with these situations.  I love their ships, and have always enjoyed our cruises with RC but lately their customer service and how they handle situations is lacking.  I am planning on enjoying myself on this cruise for sure but it's been very challenging to say the least....

Royal Caribbean has always had IT challenges and Black Friday sales overwhelmed their website. 

Refunds can take 7 to 10 days to post to your credit card.

As far as protocols, they do have protocols to handle a medical emergency, that is why they turned the ship around and took the passenger to Puerto RIco.  Unfortunately, that was a significant deviation to their schedule and they are delayed getting into Port Canaveral.  They needed time to coordinate all the resources that are needed to receive the ship in port, offload passengers, provision and then load passengers for the next sailing.  They made the decision to come in Monday morning, instead of coming in late Sunday night.  They have somewhere in the vicinity of 12,000 passengers that they decided didn't need to be getting on or off a ship late on a Sunday.  Notifying the approx. 6,000 waiting to board to wait until Monday, prevented those passengers from being in limbo all day Sunday.  At least now, they can stay home and come in on Monday or make other hotel arrangements for Sunday, if they have travelled a distance.  Those on the ship are not going to be scrambling to find a hotel to stay Sunday or have to hang in the airport overnight.  Telling them they can get off very early Monday actually gives people who have to get home to jobs or other responsibilities the ability to schedule a very early flight out on Monday.  Yes, things have not been handled perfectly but they are juggling a lot of balls right now, trying to get everything coordinated.

• Like 5

Just now, notscb said:

I know it's annoying when a stop is missed, but I would have absolutely loved to watch this unfold in real time.

Lol. Yeah, I could feel the vibration from the thrusters and ran up top to see it. There we were, hovering in space and time, like a giant hummingbird, unable to reach the shore. We were so close, I think I could have spat upon the concrete, but, alas, it wasn't meant to be. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Wheels87
  • Haha 1

Here is the bottom line...we were informed today at 1215 by the Captain exactly when we would be arriving in Port. That is a full 40 hours of notice. Is that not good enough for folks?  I've been fogged out of Galveston before with zero notice and had to wait around for a whole day, having changed my flight five seperate times, only to end up staying on the ship an extra night. That was terrible. At least in this case, we got to plan for and look forward to an extra day. 

Again, I'm not a RC fan boy and have been on way more Carnival cruises, but, I think it's been handled decently. 

Respectfully,

Brad

• Like 12

Pilot onboard will be around 2:30 am on Monday morning. The only major problem port related I see will be with the people on Indy as they are also going to schedule to be docked at CT-1. They will most likely dock now at either CT-6 or 5 which means there will be a need for a shuttle to bus people who parked at CT-1 to go get their car.

5 hours ago, Deez123 said:

Sitting at airport, waiting to board.  Got the text but no email.   From this thread I see RCL knew about this 24 hrs ago.   Do better RCL.  You know full well many people leave day prior and you sat on the info.  1/7 refund is not enough.  Now I have to book another hotel room and food for another day.   I’m sure it won’t be 1/7 either, there will be some BS reason why it’s not that amount. Fees/taxes etc

They don’t bother to refund port charges any more either. 

edit:  Some additional context for my anger here.  Originally booked for Dec.   They swap ship and downgrade us from 2 Bedroom grand suite with no comp.  4 weeks later they cancel the cruise… why?  They are using the ship for promo purposes.  BS.  Gave 1 option for same itinerary at retained price.   That’s this cruise.   Which by the way had sky high airfare due to holiday 

1/7 if we get it, doesn’t cover the “fixed” costs of parking and airfare for a shorter trip.  Maybe $100 OBC for my $10k fare would be in order. 

I know most are not happy but let’s be a realist. It Thanksgiving weekend. If you were flying in on Sat or even a Sunday it is not like you can simply rebook for a day later. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

Hahaha.  Yeah right.  I’ll just cancel my fight with 1 hr notice.   Try to find a flight thanksgiving weekend for the next day, pay 2x the original inflated cost.    Then I’ll just cancel the non refundable hotel reservation for tonight since less than 24 hr notice.   Then I’ll cancel my prepaid parking reservation too.   

After all that is done I’ll go on cruise critic and FB and sing praises of RCL for giving me 23 hrs notice and no assistance.  

At least those onboard are getting some assistance for fights.  I got nothing but a text message. 

Maybe we are different but why did you not just not take your fight as scheduled and book a extra night in Orlando?    Probably cheaper than moving your flight. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

Hahaha.  Yeah right.  I’ll just cancel my fight with 1 hr notice.   Try to find a flight thanksgiving weekend for the next day, pay 2x the original inflated cost.    Then I’ll just cancel the non refundable hotel reservation for tonight since less than 24 hr notice.   Then I’ll cancel my prepaid parking reservation too.   

After all that is done I’ll go on cruise critic and FB and sing praises of RCL for giving me 23 hrs notice and no assistance.  

At least those onboard are getting some assistance for fights.  I got nothing but a text message. 

Hopefully you have travel insurance to cover any non-refundable expenses.

• Like 4

They're are a lot of unhappy people on this ship right now. Seems they are charging everyone for the 8th day of drink/wifi/dining packages and a lot of people lost their minds. 

If you had wifi or drink packages, they are automatically renewing for day 8 at 50% of the onboard daily price (not 50% of whatever sale you got back when you booked it) and anyone with unlimited dining can book specialty restaurants for 50% off the onboard meal price. You can cancel the auto renewed packages for day 8 if you don't want it.

Between that and flights, customer service was a hellscape tonight.

I am thankfully in the minority here, no flights home, don't mind paying a few $s for an extra day onboard. But a lot of angry people here now.

I also felt that the communication was decent. Sure they could have said more sooner, always can. But they did many announcements day 1 and I feel have enough notice to change plans.

For debarking, people CAN self walk off as early as 4:30 but after that it's normal schedule thru 9am based on mode of transportation.

And everyone does get the 8th cruise point.

Edited by jrapps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, sharktums said:

Wow. I was fine with everything and the communication as I understand all the behind the scenes stuff until they said they’re charging us for everything tomorrow!!?? And I have to go stand in line to cancel if I don’t want to extend!!?? Oof. 

I read that on wifi pkgs they will automatically charge you 50% of what you paid unless you cancel. Lol.

And unlimited dining does get a discount. Oh boy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I read that on wifi pkgs they will automatically charge you 50% of what you paid unless you cancel. Lol.

And unlimited dining does get a discount. Oh boy. 

50% of the onboard price, not what you paid originally. Everyone is being charged the same amount for 8th day of wifi or drinks. Too complicated to figure out each person's individual rate, easier to charge everyone equally.

Edited by jrapps
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

Truly my pleasure to do so. 

So, to paint clearer picture of how Coco Cay was cancelled...we were actually positioned right alongside the pier at a distance of about 20 meters for about 20 minutes with full thrusters attempting to move us closer to the pier.  The ship simply could not get any closer. The cross wind was at 33 kts according to the ship channel.  Eventually the Captain gave up and pulled away. An announcement was made about fifteen minutes later that we had to miss the port. 

Sad but happens and bet this Ship is just a big Sail with some 33kt gusts. Still sucks. Over last 3 decades I missed over 80% of my Coco Cay stops. 2 times we sat there for hrs before wind died down enough, one of which we only got 4hrs total ashore, most less then. Was on a Cruise last month were able get about 4 Tenders ashore at Cabo, waves kicked up slightly and they canceled anyone else getting off rest of day. 7hrs later lucky ones got off returned after their Beautiful Sunny Day. 

3 hours ago, Deez123 said:

So, you are on the next cruise?  If so, stop the hyperbole. The poster you quoted mentioned those traveling further would have to make hotel arrangements for Sunday. 

4 hours ago, FlowBroTy said:

Pilot onboard will be around 2:30 am on Monday morning. The only major problem port related I see will be with the people on Indy as they are also going to schedule to be docked at CT-1. They will most likely dock now at either CT-6 or 5 which means there will be a need for a shuttle to bus people who parked at CT-1 to go get their car.

I'm at about 1 of every 4 Cruises last 9yrs, leave from one Pier come back to another, or leave from one not originally scheduled from. Though this is on smaller Radiance Class and 20+ yrs ago Vision Class. Most resent happened twice this yr alone, both were next to each other but most time happened to me at Port Everglades or Tampa where did have us walk short distance past other Piers in 2018 and 2019. First time was in 1999 it was so far they shuttled us to Parking Ramp where we left out of. Rode myself and drove back to new Pier while my Wife, Kids and Inlaws waited

Edited by ONECRUISER

7 hours ago, jenushkask8s said:

We are onboard and heard the first announcement yesterday while having lunch at Chops (so roughly 1-1:30pm).

We found out today around noon that we weren't getting in until 4am.

Here is the letter we got in our room this evening. 

20221126_202654.jpg

Regarding the cost of changing flights - I recall our first ever cruise with RCI on the Anthem in May 19 that was delayed 24 hours in retuning to New Jersey (after a medical diversion to Nassau), pretty sure RCI said they would pay for all (not a limit mentioned) of all required flight changes. They also gave all passengers a day of internet use free as well.

One reason why we never have flights planned for the same day as arrival in port at the end of the cruise but I certainly understand this is not an option for many.

Edited by Digjharper

Wow.  Prayers for the person needing medical attention.

Sounds like there are some unhappy people onboard.  Accidents happen and when it happens to you or a loved one, you will be glad that Royal does what it has to for a passenger needing medical treatment.

I am surprised though that Royal is charging for extension of the packages.  A few years back we had a two day delay getting back to Baltimore.  Drinks packages and internet extended.  Gratuities paid by Royal.  Sounds like times have changed!  Katherine 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Digjharper said:

Regarding the cost of changing flights - I recall our first ever cruise with RCI on the Anthem in May 19 that was delayed 24 hours in retuning to New Jersey (after a medical diversion to Nassau), pretty sure RCI said they would pay for all (not a limit mentioned) of all required flight changes. They also gave all passengers a day of internet use free as well.

One reason why we never have flights planned for the same day as arrival in port at the end of the cruise but I certainly understand this is not an option for many.

I'd imagine your cost change Flights was under the limit they normally offer or AirlineS. Pretty typical offer from Royal. On Internet, normally seen offered free day or just 2hrs for late arrivals. This going back 2 decades I've experienced or seen on CC,  

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I am surprised though that Royal is charging for extension of the packages.  A few years back we had a two day delay getting back to Baltimore.  Drinks packages and internet extended.  Gratuities paid by Royal.  Sounds like times have changed!  Katherine 

Not me, you were just lucky. If anything consistent about Royal it's the Inconsistencies. One Cruise might get Ton of stuff for Free like you did, same situation happens again and again and nobody and do not get a penny. That said I've missed many Ports, changed Ports, in decades past at most got 2hrs free drinks. Then as I already mentioned above, late arrival and we recieved 2hrs Internet. Last yr few months before our two 8day Cruises we were told they are now 7 day Cruises.Royal gave a choice, keep them with no reduction in price or cancel. 

3 hours ago, SG65CB said:

If the wind was pushing the ship sideways away from the pier at Coco Cay couldn't they back out and pull in on the other side of the pier and let the wind push the ship to the pier?

Actually, that would be even more dangerous as if the wind picked up, even slightly, the ship could get slammed into the pier. 

Port problems and medical emergencies aside, this was a great cruise.  The logistics of trying to take care of 6500 passengers in this situation is nothing short of nightmarish for the crew. I am guessing that when some food items aren't available today, there will be loads of people on here complaining about that as well. RC simply can't win...it is their Kobayashi Maru. 

When you take a cruise, you MUST be flexible with your travel plans. It's that simple. If you expect the unexpected, you will most often be pleasantly surprised. Try reading the cruise contract which we all agreed to. They don't really owe us much of anything, yet still offer. And what does that get? Many still complaining that it isn't enough.  I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen anyone stating that they deserve a 100% future cruise credit. 

Cheers...I'm off to Cafe Promenade to get a bit of coffee before I start my FREE cruis day! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

We’re on the cruise that should have boarded today. We’re blessed to live close to the port and are retired, so really no inconvenience. And I would much rather board tomorrow then them have us sit in the terminal for hours and hours not knowing when we would get on, if at all today.  

It did seem to take a bit longer than I thought for them to finally make the decision, and send out texts and emails at almost 1pm the day before boarding. Not everyone is on this site and had no idea there was anything brewing. 

• Like 8

I hope all make the best of the extra day, and those who were going to sail today are able to book a hotel.  Hopefully finding a hotel room for Sunday night is easier than during the holiday weekend. 🙂 

We missed our Juneau port day (was there only 2 hours that night restocking) on our AK cruise this year due to a medical emergency that required us to turn around and meet the Canadian Coast Guard (lost 8 hours) to pick up a crew member that needed urgent surgery.  I remember being very, very disappointed, because the private tour we planned for Juneau was the most important one of the cruise, and I knew my aunt and oldest sister would never be able to cruise AK again.  But, as the captain said in his gracious letter delivered to all cabins (paraphrasing), “We had a medical emergency with one of our ‘family members’, and had to take measures required to save his life. We would do the same for your family.”  

Frustrations/complications/disappointments aside, I’m thankful to know that. 🙂

I hope travel insurance covers your added expenses, even though it can’t cover the time spent making alternative arrangements.

• Like 4

I think it’s okay that people are upset that Royal Carribean isn’t offering anything for canceling an entire day and a port. Yes, it’s a medical emergency and of their control but it seems like the people on board now are getting more of benefits than the people who will be losing an entire day of their vacation. Apparently, they offered you guys 100s of dollar just for missing Coco Cay, but we aren’t even being offered any comps for missing a day or a port. All we are getting is a refund for that day. Royal knew about this for almost 24 hours before letting the next cruise guests know that the cruise was being moved back an entire day…. So yes, some of you are glad you got onboard credit and a free day but a lot of us that are suppose to be boarding to day got the much crappier end of the stick. 

• Like 4