Hold that 2nd Lobster Tail and 3rd Entree in the MDR

MACE

Back in September of 2000 on the Voyager of the Seas

Waiter: "You want some more Lobster Tails and another Entree?"

Imagine then, if today's new prices were put in place, sure defeats the concept of 'Complementary' Dinning

food.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Never saw so many complaints about a trial on one ship that isnt even fleetwide.  I might like maine lobster better, if it happens. Utubers going crazy headlines like it is on every ship. Click bait. Why not go with the flow. If you are still hungry the WJ is open. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, poocher said:

Not sure why so many insert that extra “n”. DINNING like WINNING.  DINING like WHINING!

Ah, gotta love the spell Police, you are correct: "Dining"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Never saw so many complaints about a trial on one ship that isnt even fleetwide.  I might like maine lobster better, if it happens. Utubers going crazy headlines like it is on every ship. Click bait. Why not go with the flow. If you are still hungry the WJ is open. 

I don't believe most see it as just a "trial". It's about the start of endless cost cutting and nickel and dimming. The road to less choice of food, while at the same time charging more for extras etc. IMHO

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

A decent sized cold water New England Lobster is far beyond the flavor and texture of a Caribbean bug.

Unless you are at a Golden Trough it would be hard to find any restaurant that serves unlimited entrees and has lobster on the menu.

Maybe at a 50 to 100 dollar Vegas buffet where they are hauling in millions a day at the one-armed donation machines.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

I don't believe most see it as just a "trial". It's about the start of endless cost cutting and nickel and dimming. The road to less choice of food, while at the same time charging more for extras etc. IMHO

Agree

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Ok so I shouldn’t mention the extra “m”?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, poocher said:

Ok so I shouldn’t mention the extra “m”?

The self anointed spell Police is back. Instead of your frivolous replies, please tell us all here, any thoughts you may actually have, about RCI  and extra costs that may be charged in the MDR

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Friend, it's not the start -- we've been on this road for a while. 

38 minutes ago, MACE said:

The self anointed spell Police is back. Instead of your frivolous replies, please tell us all here, any thoughts you may actually have, about RCI  and extra costs that may be charged in the MDR

Come on, spelling and grammar are elementary school skills.  

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, MACE said:

Well my opinion is the current lobster tails are awful, so bad in fact that it would be a crime to charge for extras.  If however, they start serving REAL cold water Maine lobster tails,  I do not believe a charge for additional tails is unreasonable.  Look, my opinion and spelled correctly!

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, poocher said:

Well my opinion is the current lobster tails are awful, so bad in fact that it would be a crime to charge for extras.  If however, they start serving REAL cold water Maine lobster tails,  I do not believe a charge for additional tails is unreasonable.  Look, my opinion and spelled correctly!

Agree.  Would gladly take one decent lobster tail over multiple distant cousins of the real thing.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, MACE said:

Consume more, pay more.. seems fair to me. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Gee, sounds like a publicly-traded company that has lost billions of dollars and gone further into  debt over the past couple of years is using customer demand to make some money again. 

If they have to make a few bucks on people who gorge themselves on lobster tails, big deal.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Husky1987 said:

If they have to make a few bucks on people who gorge themselves on lobster tails, big deal.

You know, if they served a decent sized lobster tail, I doubt anyone would complain, but they serve you a 4-6oz lobster tail, about half the size you'd get if you ordered it at a decent restaurant. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, brownc424 said:

You know, if they served a decent sized lobster tail, I doubt anyone would complain, but they serve you a 4-6oz lobster tail, about half the size you'd get if you ordered it at a decent restaurant. 

And you can go to your local walmart and get one of those tails.

The complaints have probably been rolling in for over a week now, since RCCL said they were very interested in feedback.  I'm guessing the word is probably out that the dining room manager on each ship can be discretionary about the extra lobsters, etc., depending on supply.

Really, really bad idea.  What did they think the passengers would say???????  They've been sailing with extra complimentary entrees for almost 54 years now.  I predict a nice little rollback on this unpopular policy.

The funny thing about lobster is that in early America it was considered to be trash food for the poor and was a steady diet in this country's prisons. And those were the New England cold water variety.

Times as well as people's tastes change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't really like lobster and usually order something else on the menu so it doesn't really matter to me.

However as the point of the thread is really about RCL cutbacks (and I agree there are many) I just wanted to say I've realised this week what amazing value a cruise still is. We should currently be on an 11 night Ovation cruise, the second part of a b2b. However I tested positive for covid on the last day of the first cruise and we had to get off in Sydney.

I hastily booked a hotel here for 11 nights, a 4 star Rydges room only with a kitchenette so we could do some food ourselves. The hotel cost £1974, this was a mid priced hotel, I could have spent lots more. The total price for the 11 night cruise was £1918 (balcony room including grats), of course including all the food, entertainment etc.

We've already spent hundreds on food and that's eating a lot less than we would have on the ship. 

No entertainment, no lovely cabin steward and wait staff looking out for us. 

I'll never let anyone tell me that cruising is expensive ever again.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Friend, it's not the start -- we've been on this road for a while. 

Come on, spelling and grammar are elementary school skills.  

Yes, but the past few weeks we went from the road to the highway. And it's going beyond lobster, beyond limited menu choices, beyond upcharges, to this week it's past food and on to cleaning cabins once a day with no evening service. What's next week's wonderful cut back (Oh, ah.... I mean change to improve service). Lol. 

• Like 4