Just back from a TA on the Marina, Bcn to Mia.

jonthomas

I think O got a lot of negative comments and hopefully will take note. This is not a time to let the brand falter, not when huge debt issues are at hand. 

Seems many here saw what we saw. 

The ship was totally full. There were many times in the Terrace when it was packed. No one was available to clear tables or to bring cutlery. The staff that were there did their best. Several times they brought staff from other areas to assist. 

I was hesitant to bring up the food issue, since I am so picky. Seems others found it lacking as well. This is the one issue that has kept O apart from others. Hopefully they will regain this status again without too much time passing. 

TomX please report back. 

We are on the earlier portion of FF’s 47 days. We had 24 Barcelona to Rome,

not sure people do the online comments, if the ship’s internet doesn’t work,

My major complaint, like FF was Destination Services.  Between canceling and rebooking excursions it was a mess,  I gave up trying to figure out if I was refunded the correct amount for canceled or changed excursions..

My two cruises this year were both full to capacity. Insignia in July and the last 10 days of my 24 on Marina,

There was a big difference between the first segment and the 2nd because the 1st segment had around 300 less passengers.

someone with more knowledge might know if O has changed the number of staff on their ships.  It sure felt like it.

on a god note, Toscana was our favorite,    Hope to see many of the Toscana staff on the Vista in August.

I too wish NCLH would install Musk’s satellite system throughout the brand to improve internet capabilities. While slow at times, we have been able to use our T Mobile service to FaceTime half way around the world, showing scenery and talking. I am not a “Streamer” so that is not a concern of ours, we survive the lack of speed issues. 
cruise line internet is not for the “Working Class”, IMHO. 

Looking forward to next months trip on Marina in South America. No Rogue waves allowed on Marina 🤪.

Mauibabes

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

One only needs to look at the O online scheduler to see that the new NEXT gap for Marina is January 11 to February 14, 2024.

Yet Fincantieri doesn't have any facilities in South America.  I seriously doubt they are running her empty from Buenos Aries to Italy and back to Santiago Chile. It doesn't make financial sense and the transit times wouldn't allow enough drydock time for the refit.  

Edited by shepherd really

9 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Internet -- we had some issues and yes it was bad on Regent too.  Oceania and Regent block many sites - they use the same contractor EMC.  They both use IP address that are blocked by many mail services (like comcast/xfinity).  The solution is to use a VPN like Nord or cyber ghost.

Paul, do you know if can you access outlook with your VPN?  I hosted my domain with Microsoft.  Typically, I run surfshark on my devices.

I won’t harp on internet as I whine about it enough already, but NCLH did install 11 Starlink dishes on Breakaway.  Hopefully good news for the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

Yet Fincantieri doesn't have any facilities in South America.  I seriously doubt they are running her empty from Buenos Aries to Italy and back to Santiago Chile. It doesn't make financial sense and the transit times wouldn't allow enough drydock time for the refit.  

FWIW: Fincantieri is also in Brazil and is supposed to be building a new facility somewhere at/near the Gulf of Mexico.

11 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Not quite the worst cruise ever, but close.  NOT up to expectations.  Onboard Rome to Miami.  Toooo many days.

Immigration at San Juan was a real cluster and all Marina's fault.  Took the ship 2 hours and 45 minutes to get everyone off.  Scary when you think about safety and security.  I addressed the issue with one of the senior officers - and received a head shrug.  NOT the fault of immigration.  We processed through that in minutes.  The terminal did have chairs for sitting - thankfully.  Doors open and A/C at full blast resulted in a cold for both of us.  Management/leadership incompetence. 

Found the ship to be dated and in need of overhaul.  NOT a "near luxury" ship.  

Ate at specialty restaurants six times out of eight reservations.  Food was generally good, if served colder than expected.  Best of the restaurants was Polo.  The noise level in Jacques and Red Ginger was uncomfortably loud resulting from too many tables too close together.  Couple next to us in Red Ginger came in soused (carrying three drinks).  Disappointing.  We ate mostly in the Terrace Cafe which was also crowded with tables too close together (saw one lady trip and fall over a chair leg) - it was also impossible to get through to your table after selecting food from the buffet.

Crew was great.  Worked hard to please.  Can't say the same about leadership.

Guest lecturers were good and knowledgeable.  

Embarkation was a breeze in Civitavecchia.  Walked off in Miami (see immigration above) and in car at Miami international within one hour.

"Worst Internet at Sea" should be Oceania's moto.  Horrible connectivity.  First day tried logging on and received notification it would be $25/day for "basic (non existent)" Internet.  Had my mobile phone "on" while checking in and that counted as the only device allowed (reception grudgingly "fixed" it).  "Fast" Internet was $35/day.  No thanks.  Only good connection was last two days specifically for comments.

Everything on board appeared geared to nickel and dimming you from your money.  Boutique prices brought tears to my eyes they were so far above normal.  Why?  Who wants to pay over $120 for a polo shirt?  Nuts!

Cabin was nice and comfortable - "PH" on Deck 11.  HVAC worked well.  Great closet.

Looks like first and last time on Oceania for us.

Sounds like a good idea to me..

jancruz1

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shepherd really said:

One only needs to look at the O online scheduler to see that the new NEXT gap for Marina is January 11 to February 14, 2024.

Website shows a 24 day Antarctica cruise during that time frame..not a gap.

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Website shows a 24 day Antarctica cruise during that time frame..not a gap.

Not sure what website you’re looking at. But, here’s an O website (U.S.) screenshot just taken on December 7, 2022 at 7:15 AM. 
Now, there’s only no Marina cruise from Jan. 11 to Jan. 21. Two days ago, there was no Rio to SDC cruise that I could see.

In any case, there’s still a Marina schedule gap in mid-January 2024.

E767B870-B52D-4BF0-A3B2-728EE5CF55AD.png

Speaking of wifi, or the lack thereof, during our segmented cruise on Sirena we had virtually no internet on either disembarkment day for people to complete a survey. Actually there was some humor listening to then CD Julie harp continuously, to those departures in Lisbon, about completing the survey, while knowing full well the ship’s system wasn’t working. Same with Dottie in Barcelona. First internet we’d had in days was when we got to our Marriott AC Hotel in Barcelona and off the ship. 

Does Oceania purposely shut down the wifi so to not get the passenger surveys?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

Paul, do you know if can you access outlook with your VPN?  I hosted my domain with Microsoft.  Typically, I run surfshark on my devices.

I won’t harp on internet as I whine about it enough already, but NCLH did install 11 Starlink dishes on Breakaway.  Hopefully good news for the future.

I was able to access my outlook exchange server with my VPN.

That is good news on Star Link.  It is very reliable(have it at home) , but will not work in a Transatlantic until they get the Gen 2 satellites in the air.

Regarding WiFi: We were on Sirena recently with the included 1 device at standard internet bandwidth. I have a Samsung Galaxy phone that's almost five years old and I had a very difficult time connecting to the ship's internet. It was hit and miss and mostly miss. I gave up after a few days. My partner has a new Google Pixel phone and the difference was night and day. He rarely had trouble connecting and was even able to do some Zoom calls. I had no idea the phone itself could make such a difference, and I'm still not sure why. That said, I have not had this same issue on recent cruises on Celebrity and HAL so it's not just my phone, but it appears to be a factor. 

23 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I am looking at the online scheduler and Marina has a 24-day cruise scheduled December 18, 2023 - January 11, 2024 (Lima to Buenos Aires) and another 24-day cruise scheduled January 21 to February 14, 2024 (Rio de Janeiro to Santiago de Chile). That leaves a gap of just 10 days and it's in South America, not a place known for ship refurbishments.

image.thumb.png.1b2b0f70f10f1a1fdddbad16c0c850df.png

56 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Does anyone know the latest on when Marina will be refit? I dont want to sail on it before then. Water pressure in showers was poor, cabins look worn out. The rest of the ship was ok.

See pinotlover's post, above. #45