Less and Less for Mariners

jhannah

We cruised in March of last year aboard the Koningsdam. We were disappointed to not have a Mariners' lunch. I understand most everyone cruising is a Mariner, but you'd think their more loyal, 4-star Mariners would get something

We didn't get a tile, either. Supply chain issues, they said. Not to worry ... they will be mailed. WRONG!

After multiple inquiries, Guest Services sent this email today:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line.  Regretfully, due to ongoing global supply chain issues, we currently do not have any inventory of our Delft tiles exclusively created for Holland America Line Mariners by the master craftsmen of Royal Goedewaagen in The Netherlands. 

With the number of tiles in backlog and due to extensive logistics challenges, we have had to make the difficult decision to discontinue the mailing of tiles and other Mariner items.

Guests who have been waiting for Mariner related items to be mailed will now need to request them from the onboard staff during their next Holland America Line cruise.  We apologize for any further disappointment this may cause. 

Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance.  Holland America Line thanks you for your continued patronage. 

Kind Regards,

Shawn

Guest Relations

Holland America Line

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There was no Mariner luncheon on our Oosterdam cruise (November this year) but they did have the medallion ceremony.  I think with covid, etc they are avoiding a crowded MDR which makes sense to me.  If there had been one, I would not have gone due to the crowding.

We did receive our tiles.  They were on our bed that evening.  I understood they had a supply issue and some ships may not have had tiles early on and perhaps some still have issues?  Not sure.

With the cost of postage and a huge backlog, that’s probably a sound business decision. At some point they have to draw a line on how much “debt” to continue to pull. Assuming they will continue with giving tiles, discharging this backlog without incurring more costs for staff to manage mail outs, postage, and running short on the ships for those cruising makes sense. Those who cruise again and want their tile can get them at that time. 
Having said that, I do like my tiles, and was surprised we got one in April. And I was disappointed we didn’t have a Mariner’s Lunch only because I got my copper medallion, which was dropped off to my husband by our Steward. 

• Like 4

On the Nov 20 Rotterdam cruise, there was a reception around the Lido pool in the afternoon. We did not attend. Tiles were left in our stateroom. No Luncheon. We never heard of any medal ceremony, but there may have been one.

We noticed some other minor cut-backs. Not surprised. We just want HAL to survive.

Rotterdam is a fine ship. We'll be happy to sail her again.

• Like 2

Not surprised about the tiles.  Twice we have received the notice about tiles being mailed to us.  It didn’t make any sense to me but I think HAL overpromised and it would have been better for them to say that the tiles are “not available due to supply chain issues” and leave it at that.  Holland America is proud of its traditions and length of service in the cruise industry.  HAL’s new promos build on the tradition of 150 years of sailing.  It sounds like the tiles will be given out again in the future.  The Mariner’s luncheon is a great marketing tool.  We get to visit over lunch and learn about the adventures others have had on HAL ships.  The problem at this time is that Covid is not gone and as much as I want to hear about the adventures of other Mariners, I don’t want to be seated with people I don’t know!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, liketraveling said:

We just got off the Zuiderdam and they delivered the tiles to the our room.

I got all three tiles this year, Zaandam, Zuiderdam and N Statendam.  I guess it is a matter of what is in stock and where it is. 

1 minute ago, oaktreerb said:

Not surprised about the tiles.  Twice we have received the notice about tiles being mailed to us.  It didn’t make any sense to me but I think HAL overpromised and it would have been better for them to say that the tiles are “not available due to supply chain issues” and leave it at that.  Holland America is proud of its traditions and length of service in the cruise industry.  HAL’s new promos build on the tradition of 150 years of sailing.  It sounds like the tiles will be given out again in the future.  The Mariner’s luncheon is a great marketing tool.  We get to visit over lunch and learn about the adventures others have had on HAL ships.  The problem at this time is that Covid is not gone and as much as I want to hear about the adventures of other Mariners, I don’t want to be seated with people I don’t know!

@jhannah. Thanks for letting us know about the correspondence re: the tiles.

42 minutes ago, jhannah said:

We cruised in March of last year aboard the Koningsdam. We were disappointed to not have a Mariners' lunch. I understand most everyone cruising is a Mariner, but you'd think their more loyal, 4-star Mariners would get something

We didn't get a tile, either. Supply chain issues, they said. Not to worry ... they will be mailed. WRONG!

After multiple inquiries, Guest Services sent this email today:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line.  Regretfully, due to ongoing global supply chain issues, we currently do not have any inventory of our Delft tiles exclusively created for Holland America Line Mariners by the master craftsmen of Royal Goedewaagen in The Netherlands. 

With the number of tiles in backlog and due to extensive logistics challenges, we have had to make the difficult decision to discontinue the mailing of tiles and other Mariner items.

Guests who have been waiting for Mariner related items to be mailed will now need to request them from the onboard staff during their next Holland America Line cruise.  We apologize for any further disappointment this may cause. 

Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance.  Holland America Line thanks you for your continued patronage. 

Kind Regards,

Shawn

Guest Relations

Holland America Line

There's just too many mariners..no different than airlines all cutting back on their high(er) tier flyers..eg Delta and AC, United etc are cutting lounge access for some of their higher tier Frequent flyers and require them to be on paid J ticket to access lounges 

as for the tiles..i got them on my last trip (sept on Zaandam) in my cabin ..didn't know they mailed them out before? definitely can see them cutting that with how heavy they are and mailing them out seems huge waste 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

3 times for me most recent November 2022.  Don’t really care because I don’t like them.  I think the tiles must have riun off with the lobster 😛🦞

• Haha 1

I am surprised that HAL would promise to mail the tiles they owe you and then tell you that they have them aboard their ships, so you have to book another cruise and ask a crew member for them.  I would tell them, thanks, but no thanks.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, gilboman said:

There's just too many mariners..no different than airlines all cutting back on their high(er) tier flyers..eg Delta and AC, United etc are cutting lounge access for some of their higher tier Frequent flyers and require them to be on paid J ticket to access lounges 

as for the tiles..i got them on my last trip (sept on Zaandam) in my cabin ..didn't know they mailed them out before? definitely can see them cutting that with how heavy they are and mailing them out seems huge waste 

For sure but then stop saying they will be sent out.  Easy peasy.

I am currently on an 11-day cruise on the beautiful Rotterdam.  It is a treat.  I attended the Mariners cocktail party around the pool a few days ago.  I was also given 2 coupons for drinks to use anytime during the cruise.  (I have 30+ tiles in a box at home, so don't care if I get one or not.) I board the Nieuw Amsterdam for a 7-day cruise right after this cruise, so I'll see what happens there.  In the meantime, it is just nice being on the Holland America ships again.   

• Like 3

I was surprised not to get the tote bags on my last two cruises.  First was on the Nieuw Statendam last April where they said it was a supply chain issue.  Next was on Nieuw Amsterdam in November where we should have received the nice Club Orange bag because we were in a Neptune Suite but it never showed up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got off the Nieuw Statendam after two 7 day B2B cruises.  Awesome time.

For week 1, we got our tiles.

For week 2, we got a letter telling us no more tiles but hang on to this letter and get it on your next cruise.

Makes sense that the tiles should be given to those who want them and just not handed out to all Mariners....Some Mariners do not value the benefit and others think the entire cruise depends on getting "my tile".  

We are somewhere in between. lol.  We love them but can leave them. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

I was surprised not to get the tote bags on my last two cruises.  First was on the Nieuw Statendam last April where they said it was a supply chain issue.  Next was on Nieuw Amsterdam in November where we should have received the nice Club Orange bag because we were in a Neptune Suite but it never showed up.

They seem to have a lot of them on the koningsdam.  I think I have three now.  I left one behind because I need to stop bringing more stuff into my house.  They are lovely bags though.

When we cruised the Nieuw Amsterdam last year we got the letter saying they were out of the tiles and would mail them to us but they never did. We wanted to add that ship tile to our collection and, luckily, one of our friends, who does not collect them, cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam last month and brought us 2 of them. We did get ones on the Rotterdam and Koningsdam since then.

We have never received them on the Zaandam, Oosterdam or Veendam but if they had them maybe we can trade one of our extras to someone for one of theirs.

Edited by tallyho8

2 hours ago, JessWright said:

I am currently on an 11-day cruise on the beautiful Rotterdam.  It is a treat.  I attended the Mariners cocktail party around the pool a few days ago.  I was also given 2 coupons for drinks to use anytime during the cruise.  (I have 30+ tiles in a box at home, so don't care if I get one or not.) I board the Nieuw Amsterdam for a 7-day cruise right after this cruise, so I'll see what happens there.  In the meantime, it is just nice being on the Holland America ships again.   

We got our tiles on the Nieuw Amsterdam last week

I am currently on the Noordam. It is a “collectors cruise “ . We have had 2 mariner luncheons with tiles and a collectors cruise luncheon. Very nice. 
    We also received the bags on our first day . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I would rather have a totebag than a tile!

• Like 1