No over the counter meds available on board

resetjet

When we sailed the Joy in November - there were none - many were sick the week prior and there was about 6 people who weren't coughing on our cruise. We always pack our own cold meds just in case. Who would go on vacation and not think to bring aspirin for a hangover. NOT that aspirin helps.  If you thought there was a chance you would be hungover... We bring honey. two advil and a tablespoon of honey 0 viola - no hangover. 

53 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

No Tylenol even in the gift shop?!

I can't swear to it but thought it was once available in the gift shop but OP is correct:  No longer.  Bring your own.

Obviously, you can also pick meds up at almost any port, albeit with different names sometimes (Panadol anyone?)  But nothing onboard.  

• Like 1

Go back, probably at least a few years ... NCL used to sell a few basic OTC meds (brand names & very pricey ... don't have a choice if you "need" them) in the gift shop but true, no longer & haven't seen them sold onboard in a while, except once inside duty-free's cashier area, behind the wall/counter area, maybe "lost prevention" purposes ... security cams everywhere, however.  

There was (is ??) a self-service, coins-operated OTC med dispenser just outside the ship's Medical Center, seen them myself onboard the Escape, Gem and Dawn in 2018 and 2019.  Perhaps, they removed them also ... 

Of course, they can quickly run out if more a few passengers preferred to get them there instead of ... and rather not wait until they reach the next port with available land store with the desired products, without seeing a licensed professional and/or needing a Rx script.  

We always pack a IFAK for EDC on the go, plus extra OTC meds & vitamins in another clip-on pouch, because you never know and it might be 3 to 5 days at sea before you see land to dock.  With this trifecta picking up momentum, making room in the luggage for another packing cube with some extra items, including masks, sanitizers, wipes and (yes) unopened Covid test kits (free & paid for by insurance) for our own convenience.  Things can happened when you are at sea for 12+ days ... 

NCL Escape - Jan.2019 Medical.Ctr OTC Dispenser.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

I always bring a supply with me, heck I had to provide some to a fellow cruiser on my very first cruise. Better to have it and not need it than Need it and not have it. 
I even get my doc to do prescriptions for some of the stuff I can get OTC in Ireland but not in USA so I don’t have trouble in the airport.  But I also plan to stock up on certain otc meds in USA that I can get in bulk there like acetaminophen, fexofenadine, clarityn, ibuprofen. I can get a whole year’s supply over there whereas here you’re doing well to get a 24pack. 
It is funny to see the differences in what’s considered OTC in different countries.

when I was in Costa Rica the pharmacist let me in to his storeroom to try and find a heat rash treatment I’d forgotten to bring, he didn’t have it in the end but gave me magical tablets that knocked my heat rash dead.
In the uk you can get ibuprofen+lysine but not in Ireland, fexofendine only just became OTC here, while solpadine (contains codine) is OTC in Ireland but not USA. 

• Like 1

We brought tylenol,  but my daughter needed advil as she injured her neck.  Luckily a nice pax gave us a healthy supply. We had no more ports for 3 days.  Next cruise i will set up a pharmacy in the elevator lobby!!!  Seriously though, just a disservice and there is zero covid protocol on board other then washing hands for buffett which is optional.  Packed elevators,  games with 50 people in a circle to see how many they can fit.  But aspirin is the problem.  I dont care about covid but this is just stupid.

• Like 4

Funny we were on the Star a couple of weeks ago and noticed the same thing.  we went out in Recife in search of a pharmacy.  I tried using google maps and the 2 places they listed did not exist.  I finally searched for a mall and we took an Uber to the mall it was about a 20 minute drive away.  On the drive over we saw 2 pharmacies  and were able to pick up some meds.  Lesson learned bring all kinds of cold meds with you as well as stomach meds.

This topic was discussed on "Ask a question."  We noted it was true on our November cruise when there were absolutely NO shops open at all. They changed vendors and every item had been removed. A new vendor opened up the shops about a week later and only personal care items were available: diapers, sanitary products, toothpaste, deodorant. Nothing medicinal.

It appears they want everyone to go to the medical center and not self medicate COVID, the flu, RSV, etc.

I've had occasion to wander around an unfamiliar port looking for a pharmacy when I've forgotten something.  Now I'll just make extra sure I add any non-Rx med that I've had occasion to use over the past year to my packing list:  Ibuprofen, antacids, anti-gas, Benedryl, etc.  It won't take up a lot of space and it just seems more prudent to have it now that nothing is available onboard.

Oh, and an extra phone charger/cable as well.  Learned that lesson the hard way (and it's also surprisingly not sold in the gift shop.)

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2022 at 9:51 PM, phillygwm said:

I've had occasion to wander around an unfamiliar port looking for a pharmacy when I've forgotten something.  Now I'll just make extra sure I add any non-Rx med that I've had occasion to use over the past year to my packing list:  Ibuprofen, antacids, anti-gas, Benedryl, etc.  It won't take up a lot of space and it just seems more prudent to have it now that nothing is available onboard.

Oh, and an extra phone charger/cable as well.  Learned that lesson the hard way (and it's also surprisingly not sold in the gift shop.)

Where's the anti-diarrheal meds? Everyone needs those...or is that a me thing?

• Like 1

In Iceland we found that almost all OTC items are sold in pharmacies only.  On an excursion I asked at a shop for cough drops (the one thing I did not have in my emergency kit) and was told I’d have to go to a pharmacy.  I settled for a bag of butterscotch disks.

ya never know when your traveling 

• Like 1

Because of an injury last cruise, we now add those stick on heat pads to the list.  I do bring a small pharmacy with me already to cover as many situations as I can anticipate, but I still manage to forget a toothbrush!  I don't want to know how many $5.00 toothbrushes I have purchased in my travels.  Last trip my husband brought a 4oz mouthwash that got confiscated at the airport (he claimed they ALWAYS let him take it) so he got to spend a small fortune in NYC for a smaller one.

• Haha 2