The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday December 24th, 2022

rafinmd

Today is Christmas Eve, National Eggnog Day, and Libya Independence Day

The only time you fail is when you fall down and stay down. Stephen Richards - Author

Meal Suggestion for today - Triple-Cheese Skillet Shells
Drink of the Day - Hemingway Daiquiri
Wine of the Day - Colom 2018 Estate Malbec (Salta)
Destination of the Day - Singapore

Eurodam

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico 11:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caic eta 12/25

Nieuw Statendam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Puerto Madryn, Argentina eta 12/25

Rotterdam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 13:00 - 23:00

Volendam

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica 06:30 - 16:00

Zaandam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 11:00 - 23:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Ocho Rios, Jamaica eta 12/25

Capture1.JPG.433b31d4dd0712ab17fd7372ed3e5c15.JPG

Capture2.JPG.d90ca1101f97d584775d487b577a1e81.JPG

Roy for @richwmn

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Good morning and thank you for the Daily and Fleet Report.

The blizzard continues.  The wind is howling and the snow continues to fall, although it doesn't come straight down, it's horizontal.  They pulled the snowplows off the road around 5pm yesterday, they'll be back out when the sun comes up.  Provincial highways and county roads in our area are closed.  We've been lucky with the power, it's gone out a few times but only for a few seconds each time.  Fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse today.

Stay home and stay safe.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Roy for taking on the posting of the Reports & Daily’s! All while keeping the lists! I really appreciate it.  Rich, thank you for making sure we are well taken care of & taking us on your adventures with you!

Merry Christmas Eve, to all who celebrate it. It is a whopping 10, feels like -4 here! The best news is that right before yesterday’s rain stopped, it switched to snow, we have just enough for a white Christmas.

Yesterday was cookie baking day and it was so much fun to do it with yet another generation. I suspect my Mom was smiling up in Heaven. After coffee, I go pick up our Christmas order from a local market. I will roast the prosciutto-wrapped pork roast & turkey breast today, which will make tomorrow easier. I may have to resort to using the “outdoor fridge” because there may not be enough room in the indoor fridge. 

This afternoon we head to my nephew’s in Boston for a Christmas Eve meal and festivities. 

6EAF9CCD-C6C3-4EA9-A638-8E196220D733.jpeg.03d604e7d82cb76f8fd81ccfc10d03ba.jpeg

9AED1420-AEFA-4522-9DB2-2E39A33641C9.jpeg.37d898fb6ccdfcbe9fa86a61cb2538e7.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Colomé 2018 Estate Malbec (Salta)

This Malbec has some fans. It has excellent ratings from consumers and critics, and a decent price. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $19.99.

Winemaker Notes

Bright and intense in color with beautiful aromas of blackberries, red fruits and exotic floral notes, this wine delivers aromatics that entice the senses. A full lush entry of ripe and rich black fruit surrounds spiced oak notes and hints of pepper. Fresh acidity supports big, bold tannins and wonderful complexity.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast
In this wine, a saturated dark color and potent aromas of blackberry, prune and grainy oak lead to a deeply layered palate that's lush and dense. Herbal blackberry, cassis and chocolate flavors are fully ripe, while this Malbec holds onto its packed-fruit character on a long finish with a touch of heat. Drink through 2025.
D91 Decanter

Elegant nose of pure plums, dried tomato, paprika and damson. Quite dense with well-integrated oak, ripe fine-grained tannins.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 8

Merry Christmas from the Noordam     

I just return from Midnight Mass . Beautiful service and well attended. 
      We were in Picton today. Tonight the crew put on the “sounds of Christmas. Fantastic show. Well received and everyone very upbeat. 
   Santa arrives at 10am. 
Have a very Merry Christmas. Stay safe and warm in this terrible storm I have been hearing about. 

Charlene

• Like 31

Thank you Rich for setting up today's report.  I hope Libya treats independence wisely.  I'll pass on the Eggnog but wish all who celebrate it a great Christmas/Eve or a wonderful last days of Hannukah.  I like the Richards quote.  I've been to Singapore several ways, as a port call on Queen Victoria in 2010, was there in 2014 but did nothing more than walk across the pier from Crystal Symphony to Crystal Serenity, and it was my Zaandam embarkation port in 2012.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Strawberry Bisque, Beef Stroganoff and Cherry Crisp which would have been my dinner choices on MS Prinsendam December 6, 2013 in I had not dined that night in Canaletto. 

Today’s care list:

ger_77 DH Dental emergency but kudos to the Doctor
Amera (I think Sharon’s almost niece) under the weather for Christmas
Safe travels for StLouisCruisers
Tana’s Aide
pauline’s friend losing daughter
Seasick Sailor’s hand
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
From the rotation:
Ottahand7 DB in rehab and trying to leave per-maturely
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome catmando
Hannukah day 6
Christmas Eve
luvteaching DH sprung for Christmas at home
Happy Birthday Sarah
3 days for ottahand7 (Volendam 12/27 to 3/18/23)
Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Kazu and Av8rix (Koningsdam  to 1/7/23), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23), and indaler (Volendam  to 3/18/23),  richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Hemmingway Daiquiri cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1/2 part Maraschino Liqueur
1/2 part Grapefruit Juice
3/4 part Fresh Lime Juice
Garnish: Lime Wheel

Instructions
Combine ingredients in cocktail shaker over ice and shake. Double strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a lime wheel.

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 7.25.46 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Good morning Daily-ites. Happy Christmas Eve from Rotterdam!

We are sailing to San Juan, expecting a 1 pm disembark. I can hardly believe it's day 14 for us! 

Last night's dinner was a tad disappointing in MDR. The onion soup was very salty, my pork chop was tough, I had just a few bites.. and Allen's Jambalaya had way too much garlic. I'm normally not a complainer and feel bad about saying it as we're so blessed to be on this cruise, but needed to be honest.

Tonight we are eating in Rudi's, most always a hit. 😉

Thank you Roy for adding me to the care list. I have a feeling I'm going to lose my thumb nail darn it. 😥

Lifting prayers to our Daily family for health, safe travels and blessings for a lovely Christmas.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Daily Report!  It's minus 11 Celcius here.  The howling wind hasn't let up at all, so whatever snow is falling isn't really looking like much, but it certainly is white out there, so we will have a white Christmas. I think it makes the outdoor decorations look better. 

I need to make shortbread and dh would like me to make sugar cookies.  My dd is coming on Boxing Day, so I would like to make brownies as well, but they won't last until Monday if I make them now. 

• Like 22

56 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich for setting up today's report.  I hope Libya treats independence wisely.  I'll pass on the Eggnog but wish all who celebrate it a great Christmas/Eve or a wonderful last days of Hannukah.  I like the Richards quote.  I've been to Singapore several ways, as a port call on Queen Victoria in 2010, was there in 2014 but did nothing more than walk across the pier from Crystal Symphony to Crystal Serenity, and it was my Zaandam embarkation port in 2012.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Strawberry Bisque, Beef Stroganoff and Cherry Crisp which would have been my dinner choices on MS Prinsendam December 6, 2013 in I had not dined that night in Canaletto. 

Today’s care list:

ger_77 DH Dental emergency but kudos to the Doctor
Amera (I think Sharon’s almost niece) under the weather for Christmas
Safe travels for StLouisCruisers
Tana’s Aide
pauline’s friend losing daughter
Seasick Sailor’s hand
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
From the rotation:
Ottahand7 DB in rehab and trying to leave per-maturely
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome catmando
Hannukah day 6
Christmas Eve
luvteaching DH sprung for Christmas at home
Happy Birthday Sarah
3 days for ottahand7 (Volendam 12/27 to 3/18/23)
Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Kazu and Av8rix (Koningsdam  to 1/7/23), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23), and indaler (Volendam  to 3/18/23),  richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and for Sarah's birthday mention.

Graham.

• Like 12

Wonderful Christmas Eve wishes to all in the Daily group.  We finally have a relaxing day because we left a day early to escape Elliot we are only going to south of Orlando.  We located a sports bar near our hotel and can watch the Vikings and Ravens play.  Our drive south was punctuated by many traffic jams but we just learned to listen to Waze directions and avoid the frustration of stalled traffic.   Our drive for the remainder will be on the turnpike so hopefully less traffic than 95.  It is a brisk 28 degrees here but beautifully sunny.   @rafinmd thanks for doing all the reports for us.  I have great news my DB is home and he is in great spirits. The rehab wanted him to do 2 more days but with the blizzard coming he went home. Thanks for keeping him on the care list and happy to say he can be taken off.    They were able to open gifts with the grandkids before everyone got snowed in.  Thankfully everyone is safe and warm and the power is on.  

Countdown is on for boarding the Volendam.  Sadly they switched Grand Cayman to Jamaica.  A good day to relax and stay aboard.   Have a wonderful day today.  Nancy🍾🎄❄️

• Like 25

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

It’s National Eggnog Day! That’s funny, I always thought it was called Jack & Eggnog Day ! 😀😀😀

I don't know Jack about eggnog, but it seems to me that if were smart you would skip the eggnog and just have some of Mr. Daniel's Christmas Punch.

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

Good morning, everyone!

@grapau27 Happy Birthday to your Sarah!

1403421175_HappyBirthday2.jpg.3a64b0921ee64410bf114217b01a2a2e.jpg

The wind howled all day yesterday, but really not a lot more snow.  It is still cold here this morning, but I think we are coming out of it.  Midland sort of exists in a bubble where the storms split and go north and south and then reunite.  That has happened with this one.  North of here is still getting pummeled with snow and has blizzard conditions for most of today.

Last night brother Bill, his wife Lauren, daughter Liz, and her husband Joe braved the weather and came over for Farkle.  Joe and Liz are in town for the holidays from Florida.  I hadn't seen them since my dad's funeral in 2019.  Baby Oliver was with them and he is truly a Jolly Ollie.  

Today's meal is perfect for today.  I'll pass on it due to the starchy carbs, but if you can indulge, more power to you!   This first one comes from Good Housekeeping, but that is a pay site.  I got the picture from Pinterest and the ingredients and directions from BigOven.   https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/triple-cheese-skillet-shells/2148459

467372906_triplecheeseskilletshells1.thumb.jpg.8cfa60f42a748829f2ad1d405fbb5b62.jpg

There are many recipes for triple cheese shells, but not many for the skillet version with the little shells.  So, we can have big shells.   Three cheese stuffed shells with spinach are the perfect freezer meal. Gooey cheese, plenty of garlic and the best pasta sauce come together into a perfect weeknight dinner solution.  Make ahead and freeze for when you need it quick!  https://feastandfarm.com/three-cheese-stuffed-shells-with-spinach/

1091245353_triplecheeseskilletshells2.thumb.jpg.79668fce8f3ea3f44a16e09b83e785a5.jpg

This one leaves out the spinach.  https://therecipecritic.com/three-cheese-stuffed-shells/

1090421441_triplecheeseskilletshells3.thumb.jpg.55ff0b6bcfe44380550c88bfed23eb72.jpg

This one adds some ground beef into it.  You can leave it out, substitute Italian sausage, or whatever strikes  your fancy!  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/three-cheese-jumbo-shells/

194267093_triplecheeseskilletshells4.jpg.bbc3312662f37f52acb55233de804124.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!  Please, no accidents, falls, or sudden illnesses!   Please stay warm and safe from the storm.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

Good morning! Brr! It’s 18F at home with a windchill making it feel like 6F. Hopefully my neighbor will report no frozen pipes! 
We enjoyed a fun family fondue dinner last night then Nana and Poppy babysat so the adults could go out and get a break. Two granddaughters went right to bed but Miss Tilly had me singing lullabies for two hours before drifting off.

Today’s project will be cooking a large prime rib and entertaining grandchildren.

Thank for the reports and post. Keep safe and warm.

image.thumb.jpeg.bb26ed30125bf0383a1722355bb88c28.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c21f1aeba721c130a8933113cf17e367.jpegimage.jpeg.4602c88c50ee9f9f8858e6cf38a9c807.jpegimage.jpeg.8f8164614afb581faa10b2ef39730fd7.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 18

Good morning everyone from a cold (10F) and sunny Boston, brrr!  I love Christmas Eve, everything seems magical. I’ll enjoy a glass of eggnog later.  I like the quote.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but we will be having our traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinner this evening, homemade Borscht, shrimp cocktail, salmon scones, pierogis with cookies for dessert, there’s an empty setting for anyone without a place to go!  Today’s port is on my bucket list.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Blessings on all of our Daily family. 🎄☃️

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Merry Christmas Eve to all and Happy Chanukah.  Very cold here but very little snow.  Thanks to all who post and double thanks to Rich and Roy.

I would like to make my Church service this evening but with a temp of 5 I am not sure.  I usually walk to church but not tonight.  And parking lot is not very big.  We shall see.

Early dinner at 4 with a small number of family members.  Larger group tomorrow.  First time in about 50 years we are not opening presents on Christmas Eve due to various schedules.  

Prayers for all to stay safe and warm.  Katherine 

• Like 22