The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday December 24th, 2022

rafinmd

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you, Graham -- they're ok, most of the damage was to the large luxury tree house next to the house.  

That's good that they are safe but sorry to hear their luxury tree house has sustained a lot of damage.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Merry Christmas Eve and Happy Hanukkah to all. Finally catching up after getting off the Island Princess Thursday. After several days of hot weather in Costa Rica and the Cayman Islands, this cold weather near Atlanta (11 degrees this morning) is really cold! Isn't it supposed to be warm in the South 😲? But glad we 're not dealing with the ice the Seattle area has had. For once I planned ahead and dragged a couple of flannel shirts around Europe and the Caribbean since a couple of years ago it was 28 degrees outside Atlanta for Christmas. Enjoy tomorrow with family and friends.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good Christmas Eve afternoon from central Texas.  We made it to 40F this afternoon.  After almost 36 hours of 13-24F temperatures, it seems the water in some of the pipes and maybe the water tank in the motorhome froze or at least got slushy.  Yesterday, the water pump would not get the water flowing, but after a day with both heaters running at 75F, we have water again.  At last, check there was no water running out under the motorhome.  

Well, the house is clean, the pecan pie is baked and the pie shell for the chocolate pie is cooling.  All I need to do is make the filling.  Tonight we'll be having a meal that seems appropriate for our annual viewing of A Christmas Story.  We'll be having left over meatloaf and mashed potatoes, but no red cabbage.

@grapau27  Graham, please whish Sara A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  🎂

We'll skip the eggnog and hope Libya Independence holds.

I like today's quote.

Today's meal sounds good, and I make a version of it with either spinach and ricotta with marinara sauce or with a garlic vegetable sauce.  Might try the drink and the wine someday.

@puppycanducruise  Melanie, I'm glad you were able to have your power on most of the time.

@cat shepard  Ann, hope your outing to Boston tonight is fun.

@ottahand7 Nancy, I'm glad  your DB is home and is in great spirits.  Sending positive thoughts that he continues his therapy and continues to improve.  

@Rowsby  Sue, I hope you have a wonderful time with the family tonight.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, enjoy your time with your family members.

@smitty34877  Terry, if you can't be sentimental at Christmas, then when can you be sentimental.  

@marshhawk  Annie, what an interesting story, and thankfully you were not hurt.  

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, fingers crossed that you are able to make it to your DH's DS's tomorrow and to see DSIL Monday.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope you and BFF have a wonderful Christmas.

@bennybear  Brenda, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your first granddaughter.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, enjoy your busy Christmas Day with all your family.  Be safe on the roads.

@durangoscots  Susan, thanks for the update on the expectant mother.  Have a great dinner with all your single friends.

@grapau27  Thank you, Graham for our nice comments on the pictures.

@HAL4NOW  Glad you made the gas run safely.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, I'm sorry Amaya is still sick.  I hope she's better soon.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, I'm glad your DSIL's sister's  house did not sustain much damage, but sorry about the tree house.

@daisybertie  MERRY CHRISTMAS!

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad you made it safely to your DD's.  Thanks for you pictures of Singapore.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 6

By Jewish time, the day begins at sunset on the evening before the day shown on the calendar, so I'm declaring that it's Christmas Day as of about an hour ago. Merry Christmas and Happy 7th Day of Hanukkah.

954902102_FelineChristmasEve.jpg.29a31ccf83202a1fb83c9e431448ffc2.jpg

I went to the synagogue for lighting the BGM after Havdalah, the ceremony that marks the end of the Sabbath. I was standing outside in the snow when the phone rang: the rabbi had canceled the outdoor lighting and phoned because I hadn't replied to a text. I was already hosting it on Zoom, so I let myself into the building while he led Havdalah from home and his children lighted their menorah, then carried the phone back outside to show the lighting of the BGM. I can't host Zoom while wearing gloves, so it was cold, although at 11° it was the warmest it's been all day. It was zero when I went to the synagogue this morning and 9° when I left.

I was pleased with my birthday celebrations there, although the total in-person attendance was only 5 at each service including the officiants. I had food for way more than that. On Friday evening the rabbi called me up for a birthday blessing, which he read from a copy of the Rabbi's Manual that his predecessor, now deceased, had used. It requires inserting the recipient's Hebrew name, and he was floored to find mine written in pencil in the margin in his predecessor's handwriting. It's possible that the last time this was done when 11 years ago, on my 60th. (The celebration this year was postponed because at this time last year the synagogue still wasn't allowing food.)

News reports say that, in the Buffalo area, the storm is the worst ever recorded. There was a record for snow set just last month; this time the snow is about the same depth, but it's also very cold and very windy. The southern suburbs of Buffalo had the worst of it in November, but this time the wind direction was slightly different and the most snow fell on the city and northern suburbs.

There is still a travel ban in effect in several counties, and the Thruway is closed from west of Rochester all the way to the Pennsylvania line. I can imagine people driving from the NYC area heading north and west on the Thruway as usual, getting forced off and then getting lost or stuck on minor roads. In fact, if they were to take I-80, I-81, and I-86, they could avoid all of it--but the Thruway (I-90) is the time-honored route even though the other highways don't have tolls.

I plan to drive to Washington, D.C., on Monday, but the most direct route for me is US-15. I hope to stop at a Waffle House or similar to celebrate the last day of Hanukkah the Dutch way, with waffles. This stems from mixing Hebrew and Dutch: in Hebrew, Hanukkah is described as nes va-fele, "a miracle and a wonder," but to the Dutch ear it sounds like "a miracle and waffle."

Wednesday of the past week would have been Flory Jagoda's 99th birthday. She grew up in Sarajevo and it's almost solely because of her that Ladino (Judeo-Spanish) music of the Balkans survives. Here's a video of her singing "Ocho Kandelikas" (Eight Little Candles, a Hanukkah song). If you understand any Spanish, it will all be comprehensible.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Just dropping in to wish everyone a joyous holiday season. Whether you celebrate Christmas,   Hanukkah or some other holiday Blessings to you all and I hope you have a truly joyous holiday.  🙏🏻 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

I know I haven’t commented for quite a while but do read most days.  Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, and any other holiday you you share during this special season.  We saw the Koningsdam in Cabo’s harbor today.  It looked great against the arch’s background.  This is much  nicer weather than what we would be experiencing in Oregon.  Praying all of you still locked in the clutches of this awful snow/ice storm are safe and warm.

We have been on Cabo a few days.  Are headed to Los Barilles tomorrow where we have rented a house large enough for 9 adults and 4 kids.  
just need our Colorado part of the family to arrive tomorrow and we will enjoy almost a week together.  
Many blessing to you all.  May 22023 be filled with great adventures cruising for you all. 
🚢🎉🎅🏻

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

The making of the Christmas Village on the NS. I hope this video works.

IMG_0646.MOV
143.02 MB · 16 downloads  

Thanks for sharing this!  It shows that it sure takes a village to make the village!  It's fun that they showed the video of this!  Merry Christmas @RedneckBob and Happy Hanukkah to all the readers out there!

~Nancy

• Like 11

3 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

So enjoy San Juan!! I want you to know sis I made your chicken enchilada sauce with cheese dip today also we are having great combination 🙄 Osetra caviar on Bellinis !! Having friends over for drinks and some poo poos! Shawn will be over and spend the night with us and little Paisley!

Merry Christmas Eve to you and Allen!

🌺Denise☺️

Denise, I love you sis. My heartfelt wishes to you, David, Shawn and sweet Paisley!

We keep missing you on Maui and again on Konigsdam coming up!

We had a fabulous day in San Juan!

We end our cruise on Jan 25th.

Going to San Diego in Feb to see our adorable new nephew Ethan (my favorite picture!) Staying at Rancho Bernardo Inn 4 nights before sailing 35 day Hawaii/Tahiti.. Missing you and David by a few weeks!!

I love you sweet sister mine.

Merry Christmas..

42261.thumb.jpeg.68a957eaabbc805a7b983fd2280d5bf7.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Denise, I love you sis. My heartfelt wishes to you, David, Shawn and sweet Paisley!

We keep missing you on Maui and again on Konigsdam coming up!

We had a fabulous day in San Juan!

We end our cruise on Jan 25th.

Going to San Diego in Feb to see our adorable new nephew Ethan (my favorite picture!) Staying at Rancho Bernardo Inn 4 nights before sailing 35 day Hawaii/Tahiti.. Missing you and David by a few weeks!!

I love you sweet sister mine.

Merry Christmas..

42261.thumb.jpeg.68a957eaabbc805a7b983fd2280d5bf7.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

OMG!!!

He is a gift from Heaven!!! So precious Joy!

Oh I want to squeeze him! LOL!

Love you both! Give my best to Allen💋💋💋💋💋

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Lemon meringue pie is done and the turkey is in the oven. I’m done for the day!

F2BDA7E8-D89B-46E9-8BDC-0BB652227A30.thumb.jpeg.51ad65b3979e70d510abc97f21b6374c.jpeg

Just found out our SIL’s sister is iced in at her home in North Bend (@HAL4NOWwould know where that is) and a large tree branch came down on her house. 

How awful about the tree coming down on the house, but the pie looks fabulous.  I love lemon meringue!

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you, Graham -- they're ok, most of the damage was to the large luxury tree house next to the house.  

A luxury tree house?  For them or for kids?

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Just an update, I shared that a dog had gone missing in our severe cold!  Last night he was found safe which is a miracle.   Especially since he’s an emotional support dog for a little girl!  

What a great Christmas gift.  Santa at work!

@StLouisCruisers I'm so glad you made it safely.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Lemon meringue pie is done and the turkey is in the oven. I’m done for the day!

F2BDA7E8-D89B-46E9-8BDC-0BB652227A30.thumb.jpeg.51ad65b3979e70d510abc97f21b6374c.jpeg

Just found out our SIL’s sister is iced in at her home in North Bend (@HAL4NOWwould know where that is) and a large tree branch came down on her house. 

I hope your SIL is okay. That ice storm was kind of freaky for west of the cascades in Washington, normal occurrence in Portland, OR. Your Lemon Meringue pie looks delicious. I would love to come down to your place and share it, but Highway 2 is closed both directions again. Glad I was able to get out and back this morning. We are place-bound for Christmas, warm and tucked in with the soothing sounds of all the generators in the neighborhood humming away. We will walk to church (micro-spikes in place) tomorrow. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

The burnt brownies aren't that bad, but I've been eating healthy food recently, and my stomach doesn't like burnt brownies any more.  Ee gads, what have I done!

We went out to the store today, we needed more firewood and eggs.  All the pipes are on drip patrol, and I don't want to see this water bill.  But as the news man said tonight, better a higher water bill, than paying the plumber for fixing burst pipes.  A senior living center north of town had burst pipes, and it poured down from the roof, all the way to the bottom floor.  All of those people with every thing in their homes flooded out.  It's supposed to get up to 31 for an hour tomorrow but we are to let the faucets drip for another two nights.  

Bubbles finally got on the porch, but then Fawn was out and about.  They are now both on the porch, with the space heater.  They do not snuggle, they both have their own space, but she is less stressed when her fur friend is in the room with her.

We got home and watched Carols from Kings on Britbox, and then watched  Scrooged (one of DH's favorite Christmas movies) caught the last 10 minutes of It's a wonderful life, and now the Pope is on.  I think I got all the Christmas music covered.

merry-christmas-love-card-wishes.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, dfish said:

How awful about the tree coming down on the house, but the pie looks fabulous.  I love lemon meringue!

It was always my Dad’s favorite. I guess I’m missing him a lot this Christmas. 

A luxury tree house?  For them or for kids?

She uses it as a guest house for company but it’s fun for the kids too. 

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I hope your SIL is okay. That ice storm was kind of freaky for west of the cascades in Washington, normal occurrence in Portland, OR. Your Lemon Meringue pie looks delicious. I would love to come down to your place and share it, but Highway 2 is closed both directions again. Glad I was able to get out and back this morning. We are place-bound for Christmas, warm and tucked in with the soothing sounds of all the generators in the neighborhood humming away. We will walk to church (micro-spikes in place) tomorrow. 

Thank you and stay warm! 
I know about ice storms in Portland, our daughter was born in Portland during an ice storm late January ‘79. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It's the evening of Christmas Day, weather co-operated with sunshine to cook lunch outdoors on the BBQ.   Our guests departed later in the afternoon just before rain began.

We watched the Christmas message from King Charles.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate.

• Like 12