Awful State of Ocean View Cafe for dinner

Arubamoose

2 minutes ago, manmachine said:

That’s why Celebrity is cutting back on food and  increasing prices for drinks.  It’s to protect all of our health.  And I for one salute them for it!

Now that's funny. 🤣 Not me as I can decide for myself what my limits are without affecting others. I can discipline myself without denying myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

For a publicly traded company shareholders are the REAL customers.  Corporations actually owe a fiduciary duty to their shareholders.  They are legally obligated to look out for shareholder. What are shareholder interests? Increasing profitability and share price. 

They do not care about most value for their customer's vacation dollar.  They have to find the pain points - to offer the least to make the most!  Capitalism baby! 

This may be it for you.  I bet it is not for many others - including the woman who pays $24k for her suite. I promise you they care more about making her happy than you.

The fact is she is subsidising your vacation.   All the people so upset about the buffet, yes they can lose your business.  Easily, if they keep the high dollar folks happy. 

The vibe of this just reeks of entitlement - which ??? It's like freaking out at Target.  Celebrity is not a super luxury brand or experience - it's nicer.  Like Target is nicer than Walmart.  It's still mass market. It is still a business. 

The shareholders may not care about their customers vacation, but they may care when they have NO customers at all. No customers mean bankruptcy. 

The customer decides where their hard earned dollars are spent and there are many vacation choices out there. It is very hard to win back a loyal customer once they have left. 
Yes, inflation is high and food prices are "up there," but surely Celebrities pricing has reflected these increased costs?

I actually think the OVC should be revamped, maybe with cooked to order proteins to avoid wastage but leave plenty of salads. 
The main thing I learned in business is never piss off your customers. You will suffer. 

it seems even those in Suites are noticing cut backs! Talk about Celebrity biting  the hand that feeds them!

• Like 8

Imteresting thread.

Anybody recall when the restart occurred, there were reports of Tommahawk Steaks in Apex OVC?

LLP in 2021 made a video saying X had a new strategy going after large ship Premuim.

We see Carnival looking to sell older ships-raise cash, , cut capacity makes it easier to raise prices.

They all are heavily capital intensive. Major Variable costs of course diesel fuels and food. The lockdowns will have long term financial and operating consequences for industry.

most recent cruise was in November on RCL. Food in MDR was pretty good, choices fine. Actually lunches in MDR were better than then  Eclipse MDR a couple years earlier. Operative words "were better" as now thats all changed. Too bad Blu not open for lunch. Dream on.

I have re-evaluated cruising vs land tours. The price of cruising has gone up significantly and affects each of us differently. But the other variable  as discussed here ad nauseum, is the level of service and quality and quantity of food served.

I already switched from a month+ on board to a month+ land tour in Europe. It was two major issues- cost dropped significantly, but we also enjoy a more intensive trip where we have local food (not provisioned in a few ports with pallets of food from the  US shipped in) 3x a day. And evening tours and not having to deal with a net 6 hours in port to get all sightseeing in (not a problem in Carribean obciously). It's a big deal in Southern Europe. Spend a few nights in Tuscany, for example.

We get to see  and experience things one just cannot do on a cruise. But offsetting that is we pack and unpack more., but we pack lighter because our Airbnbs have laundry facilities.

Life is a series of trade offs.Ya pick the ones that are more sensible to you.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2023 at 8:26 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And if cruises are booked with non-refundable deposits? All you get back is $100/person and the rest in a FCC. So though it's not the price of a cruise, X gets to keep most of the money from those and you're out a cruise AND the money.

My cruise agent told me a few days ago that the non-refundable definition was quietly (it's still listed on Celebrity web site the same right now as before my agent talked to me) changed by Celebrity: now if you cancel non-refundable booking, you lose your entire deposit (not just $100 per person) -there is no more FCR for the deposit - ($100 x number of passengers).

Edited by kirtihk

New onboard promotion is "GO LEAN"...the less you eat per day, the more highly prized cruise points you get! They will promote this as a new alternative to weight watchers, and hire Oprah as spokesperson. Now food costs at all time low, ships sailing full, and debt is paid off. You're welcome X.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kirtihk said:

My cruise agent told me a few days ago that the non-refundable definition was quietly (it's still listed the same right now as before my agent talked to me) changed by Celebrity: now if you cancel non-refundable booking, you lose your entire deposit (not just $100 per person) -there is no more FCR for the deposit - ($100 x number of passengers).

and to get a refundable deposit, the price is usually significantly higher.  heads they win, tails they win.

Its their bat and ball, and playing field. I also do not like doing business with a company thats like that and so far, when I have had a problem to resolve,  all X has done is to toss out a few coins at me while they put me on ignore. Their way or highway-I have picked highway.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

For a publicly traded company shareholders are the REAL customers.  Corporations actually owe a fiduciary duty to their shareholders.  They are legally obligated to look out for shareholder. What are shareholder interests? Increasing profitability and share price. 

They do not care about most value for their customer's vacation dollar.  They have to find the pain points - to offer the least to make the most!  Capitalism baby! 

This may be it for you.  I bet it is not for many others - including the woman who pays $24k for her suite. I promise you they care more about making her happy than you.

The fact is she is subsidising your vacation.   All the people so upset about the buffet, yes they can lose your business.  Easily, if they keep the high dollar folks happy. 

The vibe of this just reeks of entitlement - which ??? It's like freaking out at Target.  Celebrity is not a super luxury brand or experience - it's nicer.  Like Target is nicer than Walmart.  It's still mass market. It is still a business. 

Lots to unpack here!  Now they're subsidising my vacation?  Entitlement?  Sure, I'm entitled to the product I paid for, so I guess I'm entitled!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Reading a lot of the same complaints on the RCI forum. 

I'm clearly not looking at the same RCI forum as you are. Plus, the thread with all the new RCI MDR menus include all of the higher quality ($$) proteins that are now missing from X MDR menus on many ships: strip steak,  filet of sole, prime rib, ahi tuna, beef tenderloin. I could go on.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I'm clearly not looking at the same RCI forum as you are. Plus, the thread with all the new RCI MDR menus include all of the higher quality ($$) proteins that are now missing from X MDR menus on many ships: strip steak,  filet of sole, prime rib, ahi tuna, beef tenderloin. I could go on.

Obviously. Basing my comment on our RCI experiences also. Not just talking about menus changes. RC needs to bring back the everyday classics. Some of the same changes Celebrity is now making  RC made before Celebrity and the same complaints voiced on the RCI forum. Princess also. 

Edited by davekathy

8 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This really makes ZERO sense. Why would your mainstream step down brand offer high quality menus over the premium line??? I for one will be cancelling our upcoming March cruise if something doesn't change...WHO on earth approves these changes?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I always enjoy the halibut in Luminae.  I will order it next week on our cruise.  But 3 bites??

True story. Literally 3 bites,  smaller than the size of a playing card deck. Hopefully it was just a one off but my husband's portion was as small as mine. We decided next cruise we will order two portions as it was very tasty. (and to repeat, our waiter has been excellent!)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

If the room service fee is going to break you maybe you should stay home or go to a less expensive cruise line. How cheap are some of you!

I think Celebrity will do fine weeding out the bargin hunters.

You don’t have to be so nasty to everyone. When we booked room service was included for free. I paid additional to sail on celebrity because at the time they offered a superior product. Now it appears to be subpar. 

• Like 19

6 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

We are also looking at O, but frankly have not found any huge price difference yet. The food seems better, but the relative lack of activities we enjoy is a minus. Their itineraries also have a lot of port stops — one 11 day one on Vista has seven straight ports. That's not for us. Some mobility challenges make that no fun. Stay on ship? Sure but some facilities are closed in port. 

In two weeks we will be on the Beyond and see for ourselves. Then we will decide. These multiple threads are interesting to read but frankly, comparisons to Golden Corral and Applebees seem a bit much. I’ll experience it myself, then figure out our future cruising path.

mac_tlc

Understand.  Everyone is different.  We prefer port intensive ourselves.

50 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

My cruise agent told me a few days ago that the non-refundable definition was quietly (it's still listed on Celebrity web site the same right now as before my agent talked to me) changed by Celebrity: now if you cancel non-refundable booking, you lose your entire deposit (not just $100 per person) -there is no more FCR for the deposit - ($100 x number of passengers).

That is true for Royal  ( bookings made after 6/1/22) not for Celebrity —- yet.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

7 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The buffet will hopefully change back partway.  It is not a crisis as there is plenty of food elsewhere.

As for losing weight?  Maybe give up lunch entirely.  Get the continental room service breakfast.  And no desert in the MDR at dinner.

I rarely touch the deserts as find them all similar tasting and pretty tasteless, one of my good friends is a very well known pastry chef so kind of spoiled.   The only thing I have a problem of not having enough are the dreaded breadsticks, could snack on them all day.   I agree plenty of food, and you're not going to go hungry.  Last few cruises I have actually lost weight, I rarely use elevators any more on the ships except for those late nights at the World Class Bar etc.  

1 hour ago, stringbean10 said:

You sound like a MBA corporate CFO.  As mentioned above, this works great until enough of your customers decide the product is not worth the price, and you don't have enough revenue to pay the bills.  

Is this where Celebrity is headed?  Time will tell.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

I looked at Oceania also, but no way. Just compare any of there ships to say the Edge. The Edge has so much more to offer...just the pool deck on the Oceania turns me off plus Edge has more dining options, bar options, the ships are just to small to offer what Celebrity offers in a ship. Food sorry but our food on all our Celebrity ships have been excellent as well as service in our Suites. Our April cruise is on Apex 15 nights and yes the Celebrity Suite we booked was expensive but life is short. Cut backs who really eats dinner in the Ocean View Cafe it is empty at dinner. Who needs a second lobster tail. Room service we stay in suites only order coffee in the morning its free but I would gladly pay a service charge to wake up to my fresh coffee. Our hotel in Venice 2 cups of coffee from room service was 35 euros I walked to the lobby and got ours.

since you stay in suites, have the retreat area and don't eat in the Oceanview, none of this probably relates to you.  To the rest of us it does.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The buffet will hopefully change back partway.  It is not a crisis as there is plenty of food elsewhere.

As for losing weight?  Maybe give up lunch entirely.  Get the continental room service breakfast.  And no desert in the MDR at dinner.

Ah, but the key is, there are not other included dining options at night.  OVC and MDR are it.  Everything else is an additional cost, including room service.  Mast Grill and Spa Cafe are closed.  Compare that to other lines, almost everyone else has 2-3 casual options, or more, that are included at night.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

I rarely touch the deserts as find them all similar tasting and pretty tasteless, one of my good friends is a very well known pastry chef so kind of spoiled.   The only thing I have a problem of not having enough are the dreaded breadsticks, could snack on them all day.   I agree plenty of food, and you're not going to go hungry.  Last few cruises I have actually lost weight, I rarely use elevators any more on the ships except for those late nights at the World Class Bar etc.  

and one of my good friends is a banker, but he does not let me sample the Benjamins!

1 minute ago, bonagrad said:

Ah, but the key is, there are not other included dining options at night.  OVC and MDR are it.  Everything else is an additional cost, including room service.  Mast Grill and Spa Cafe are closed.  Compare that to other lines, almost everyone else has 2-3 casual options, or more, that are included at night.

Even if one is willing to pay, good luck getting a reservation same day.  The only paid place you can probably get in is Sushi but that's not everyone's jam

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Even if one is willing to pay, good luck getting a reservation same day.  The only paid place you can probably get in is Sushi but that's not everyone's jam

Not my jam at all!  I don't like seafood at all!

• Like 2