Tipping baggage handlers

quincytoo

Our first cruise since COVID reared it’s nasty head 

Last cruise was Emerald Princess 2019

i think we use to tip $5.00 per suitcase?

What is an appropriate tip 2023?

1 large suitcase, 1 carry-on 

I will keep one carry - on with me with our documents, medication, etc, etc. 

Discovery Princess out of LA Feb 25 

• Like 1

While you will get many responses to this question (it's somewhat of a hot button for some reason) keep in mind that in most ports all those porters do is roll your luggage over to a big cart (or pallet) which is then transferred to either a holding area or directly onto the ship BY SOMEONE ELSE!  You would only be tipping the "front man".

• Like 2

If you are referring to Fort Lauderdale. They are all senior stevedores with the Teamsters Union. This is a very prime job & extremely difficult to get, so only the very senior union stevedores get the plush job handling cruise baggage. 

Do not let them intimidate you into tipping them. They all make well over $100,00 per year without tips.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, love to cruz said:

If you are referring to Fort Lauderdale. They are all senior stevedores with the Teamsters Union. This is a very prime job & extremely difficult to get, so only the very senior union stevedores get the plush job handling cruise baggage. 

Do not let them intimidate you into tipping them. They all make well over $100,00 per year without tips.

OP said they were sailing out of LA...they are longshoremen here, & not all of them are senior union members, casuals (without all the benefits & may only get a few hours a week) also often do cruise baggage handling...

we are still tipping the same as preCovid, but have never been intimidated for a tip

Edited by travelin.sisters
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, love to cruz said:

OP stated Discovery out of LA. 

44 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

While you will get many responses to this question (it's somewhat of a hot button for some reason) keep in mind that in most ports all those porters do is roll your luggage over to a big cart (or pallet) which is then transferred to either a holding area or directly onto the ship BY SOMEONE ELSE!  You would only be tipping the "front man".

LA longshoremen pool their tips. 

• Like 2

Explain to me why I should tip well-paid employees for just doing their job? If I tip them.. what extra are they going to do.. clean my bags? re-pack my luggage tidier? spray it with fine perfume? No. They're going to chuck it in the container with all the other bags either way.. pick up their salary.. and laugh at the mugs that have handed them large wads of cash which they're not going to declare to the tax-man. As the poms say.. "you're avin' a laff mate". 

• Like 6

I have always tipped the same 5 per bag, same as the airport if we check bags outside then only the TSA line. Just never thought about it and it's great when we breeze through customs when we get off the ship because the guy taking our bags to the curb has a quick line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

I have always tipped the same 5 per bag, same as the airport if we check bags outside then only the TSA line. Just never thought about it and it's great when we breeze through customs when we get off the ship because the guy taking our bags to the curb has a quick line.

Same here.  We always tip a minimum of $5.00 per bag at the airport (usually travel with 6 suit cases plus carryons), up to the room, when we leave the hotel, doorman putting it in the limo and at the port.  It can gets a little bit pricey but we appreciate any help we can get while traveling plus we believe in "what goes around comes around!"  I wonder how many of the port non-tippers remove their auto-gratuities too?

I am just amazed at how many people on Princess CC need so much prior information to travel - what should I tip, when should I get to the port, where can I smoke, what should I wear, what is on the menu, what is in the patter, who is the restaurant manager or activities director and the list goes on and on.  Go with the flow or the spirit of adventure appears not to be the mantra for a many of the cruisers on Princess ships.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Same here.  We always tip a minimum of $5.00 per bag at the airport (usually travel with 6 suit cases plus carryons), up to the room, when we leave the hotel, doorman putting it in the limo and at the port.  It can gets a little bit pricey but we appreciate any help we can get while traveling plus we believe in "what goes around comes around!"  I wonder how many of the port non-tippers remove their auto-gratuities too?

I am just amazed at how many people on Princess CC need so much prior information to travel - what should I tip, when should I get to the port, where can I smoke, what should I wear, what is on the menu, what is in the patter, who is the restaurant manager or activities director and the list goes on and on.  Go with the flow or the spirit of adventure appears not to be the mantra for a many of the cruisers on Princess ships.

I was thinking the same thing.   Before the internet and social media, we sailed on many, many cruises without anyone helping us.  We browsed our  cruise / travel brochures and just went on our merry way to the cruise port and figured it all out.  We were mature, intelligent adults capable of making our own decisions and learning along the way.  So much has changed since those days and most of it not for the better.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Well bless your heart. Thanks for contributing! 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I've got mixed emotions on this.   When I arrive at port and I see my luggage put on the cart with 10-15 other pieces of luggage, I do the quick math....if everyone tipped $5, that equates to $50-$75 for the porter to push the cart inside and unload your luggage....whether he/she does it or someone else.  Max time is probably 10 minutes, if that.    That equates to a pretty good salary in my book.

Then, when I disembark, and I find a porter.....they usually walk my luggage (and me) thru customs and there is typically a wait.  Sometimes longer than others.    In this instance I have no problem tipping more because they really are doing me a service.   Many times, my luggage has been hauled to the Uber line or farther than would be typically expected.....that's worthy of a bigger tip, at least for me anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

I was thinking the same thing.   Before the internet and social media, we sailed on many, many cruises without anyone helping us.  We browsed our  cruise / travel brochures and just went on our merry way to the cruise port and figured it all out.  We were mature, intelligent adults capable of making our own decisions and learning along the way.  So much has changed since those days and most of it not for the better.

I will say that the internet has changed my way of looking at things when I travel. Reservations fill up much more quickly today than they did in the past. Waiting until I am onboard might mean missing opportunities since everyone has booked ahead. This is certainly true for restaurant reservations and excursions in my experience. 

I love purchasing sightseeing admission online in many destinations. Showing up at major sites is still possible, but it can mean extremely long waits. Skip the line tickets and scheduled admission have made everything much more efficient.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 2

Sailed last week - showed up at port at 10:30am - luggage people weren't that busy IMO. 3 taxis including ours for 5 porter people. 30seconds after the taxi driver had our bags out of the trunk they were in the large ship carts and the luggage porter people were gone - no chance to tip them. Oh well!! 

Upon return from cruise - guys in the terminal were rather pushy about wanting to help people that clearly didn't need/want it. Best was they never even said a word to travel companion who is in a wheelchair pushing his own chair + rolling luggage at the same time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I will say that the internet has changed my way of looking at things when I travel. Reservations fill up much more quickly today than they did in the past. Waiting until I am onboard might mean missing opportunities since everyone has booked ahead. This is certainly true for restaurant reservations and excursions in my experience. 

I love purchasing sightseeing admission online in many destinations. Showing up at major sites is still possible, but it can mean extremely long waits. Skip the line tickets and scheduled admission have made everything much more efficient.

Yes, for some aspects of travel the internet can be a valuable tool.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrSchwump said:

I used to tip $2/bag at Port Everglades.  Now that I've read this, not any more.

When boarding the ship, what's wrong with it. They only move the bag 10 feet to the luggage trolley.

4 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I've got mixed emotions on this.   When I arrive at port and I see my luggage put on the cart with 10-15 other pieces of luggage, I do the quick math....if everyone tipped $5, that equates to $50-$75 for the porter to push the cart inside and unload your luggage....whether he/she does it or someone else.  Max time is probably 10 minutes, if that.    That equates to a pretty good salary in my book.

Then, when I disembark, and I find a porter.....they usually walk my luggage (and me) thru customs and there is typically a wait.  Sometimes longer than others.    In this instance I have no problem tipping more because they really are doing me a service.   Many times, my luggage has been hauled to the Uber line or farther than would be typically expected.....that's worthy of a bigger tip, at least for me anyway.

$5 embarkation - take 2 bags out of back of SUV, put on cart

$20 disembarkation - take 2 bags from baggage claim, thru customs, thru parking garage and load into back of SUV.