Cutbacks in the buffet, room service charge, charge for extra lobster, down grade in burgers, what is next?

miched

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I read recently that US airlines make more net profit on checked baggage fees than any other line item.

1 hour ago, RTShaker said:

Then it will be carry on only for many. There will bo room for chic night wardrobe.

They won’t charge for luggage as their competition is land resorts.  I could see them capping it to say two checked bag for free on a 7 night (more or less based on sailing duration) and third does cost $$$ unless you have status

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lostchild said:

Spam is actually quite expansive.  I just paid $4 for a 12oz can of spam at local Stater's Brother because I was craving musubi.  When on sales at Stater's Brother, rib eye steak could be down to $4.99/lb which is cheaper than Spam.

We love Spam.  One of my favorite breakfast ore snack items is spam musubi.   I also like spam with eggs and rice for breakfast, lunch, and or dinner.  

We buy ours at Costco and it's definitely cheaper than $4.00 for 12oz.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

What a great story!  I remember the pfenning. Used to take 50 pfenning to the brochen (sp) man who would sell fresh bread out of the back of his hatchback pinto. This was in K-Town. Best bread ever!

I was in Nellingen, a few miles outside of Stuttgart. Wasn't really much out on the economy unless you went to Stuttgart.  Most of our free time was spent in Heidelberg. Nellingen Kaserne no longer exists as a military base.  The Germans did some pretty good redevelopment of the base though. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaKahuna said:

We love Spam.  One of my favorite breakfast ore snack items is spam musubi.   I also like spam with eggs and rice for breakfast, lunch, and or dinner.  

When I grew up in the 1950's my parents had very little money and we had SPAM 3 or 4 times a week as it was so cheap.  Now it is one thing I will never eat anytime, anywhere.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

When I grew up in the 1950's my parents had very little money and we had SPAM 3 or 4 times a week as it was so cheap.  Now it is one thing I will never eat anytime, anywhere.

Sorry to hear that.  I first got introduced to Spam when I was a Boy Scout and we would do weekend stays at the Boy Scout Camp.  I would take Spam, Vienna Sausage, and Potted meat as my proteins as they did not have to be refrigerated.  A box of saltine crackers, and a loaf of bread and I was set for the weekend.  

I also lived in Hawaii for 10 years both while in the military and when I retired from the service.  Hawaii consumes more Spam than any other state. It is not uncommon to find it at most local,, non-tourist, restaurants.  

12 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We also like spam. Ever make a sandwich spread out of spam? 

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No.  I always take my fried.  Aside from masubi, to which my wife adds fried egg, she also uses space with egg as the protein in fried rice.  It's wonderful. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Our first time in Hawaii we had dinner at a famous Hawaiian restaurant and when I saw Spam as an appetizer I almost walked out the door. 

• Haha 4

Honestly over our years of sailings my wife is always shocked that I skip the lobster. Well that is because it has always sucked across 3 lines. The flavor is there but the texture is just always wrong. I only take it now if they add a tail to what I chose and I can dump it in butter. 

So, get rid of the lobster to save some money and bring back the prime rib and the minute steaks in the lunch buffet. IMO the lobster would not be missed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

……..

So, get rid of the lobster to save some money and bring back the prime rib and the minute steaks in the lunch buffet. IMO the lobster would not be missed.

We would not miss the lobster either, as we don’t eat it.

Another vote to get rid of it.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

We would not miss the lobster either, as we don’t eat it.

Another vote to get rid of it.

I'm not a big lobster fan either (except for a place called Mickey Mantles in the Bricktown part of OKC, they have a lobster cargot that is beyond fantastic).  However, I'm not for eliminating it just because I don't fancy it. 

7 minutes ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

I'm not a big lobster fan either (except for a place called Mickey Mantles in the Bricktown part of OKC, they have a lobster cargot that is beyond fantastic).  However, I'm not for eliminating it just because I don't fancy it. 

Sorry, I forgot to add, YMMV.

I guess for the record I'll add we don’t eat any crustaceans.

Edited by C-Dragons

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Our first time in Hawaii we had dinner at a famous Hawaiian restaurant and when I saw Spam as an appetizer I almost walked out the door. 

So, would you walk out of a restaurant in San Antonio that had menudo on the menu?

Spam is hardly a traditional Hawaiian or Polynesian food like poi, but it's served everywhere, in every quality of restaurant, in Hawaii. Has been since at least World War II. It's arguably become a cultural phenomena, kind of like menudo as a hangover cure. Or tamales at Christmas.

It's fun to make fun of Spam, but you'd be insulting most Hawaiians by doing so in Hawaii.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, RTShaker said:

Then it will be carry on only for many. There will be room for chic night wardrobe.

No no. Carry-on is a higher fee than checked, maximum bag size applies of course.  (ref:spirit airlines)

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I read recently that US airlines make more net profit on checked baggage fees than any other line item.

Wait till they add a credit card reader to the overhead bins!  $5 per open!  Oh and I'm sure it's coming to the bathrooms as well!

9 hours ago, lostchild said:

Spam is actually quite expansive.  I just paid $4 for a 12oz can of spam at local Stater's Brother because I was craving musubi.  When on sales at Stater's Brother, rib eye steak could be down to $4.99/lb which is cheaper than Spam.

I miss Stater Bros!  

Regarding SPAM, when the Americans liberated Northern Italy in WWII there was a division stationed in my parents’ home town. After years of deprivation during the war, as children they were thrilled to receive anything from the American soldiers including SPAM. To this day, well into their eighties, they still like it. As well, I continue to bring it for gifts (as we have been doing for the last fifty years) to our older Italian relatives.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They should just partner with a weight loss company like weight watchers…”We guarantee you will lose a pound a day on this sailing because we simply won’t feed you more than your daily ration of 300 calories”

Glad we have the CBP. 

• Haha 2