Cutbacks in the buffet, room service charge, charge for extra lobster, down grade in burgers, what is next?

miched

Tilapia has been substituted for most fish, and  the cuts of beef have been downgraded.  

I think Spam will eventually be a formal night entree and  we will be seeing this. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

498BDF71-4497-4EFB-A751-A7C2A490FA55.jpeg

0A284A3D-99D4-477B-B6E4-84783095235B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 22

I think what's next is that people will calm down, get a grip and realize that in this class of cruise, Celebrity remains as it always has been, the absolute best option for your cruise holiday - food, entertainment, variety of venues, entertainment options, ship categories (ie inside cabins through amazing top suites, Aqua class etc), beautiful ships with the 3 categories of ship - Millennium, Solstice and Edge.  No other line offers this and no other line has.  So I do think all of the uproar will pass and we will get on with enjoying ourselves as we always did in the past.  That's what is next.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I think given the pictures that OP shared, this post just might have a lighter tone to it, don't you think?

Yes definitely.  I got that but I guess I am finding the overall discussion beaten to death.💀

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Shhhh...

27 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

They could go the route of the airline industry and charge for checked luggage brought onboard.

Then it will be carry on only for many. There will bo room for chic night wardrobe.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, miched said:

I think Spam will eventually be a formal night entree

Spam is actually quite expansive.  I just paid $4 for a 12oz can of spam at local Stater's Brother because I was craving musubi.  When on sales at Stater's Brother, rib eye steak could be down to $4.99/lb which is cheaper than Spam.

• Haha 3

What could be next?  Think about this.  Incredible potential for revenue generation.  And really no big burden on anyone.  Install them only in public places, so anyone who doesn’t care for the extra ‘pay as you go’ fee could simply ‘go’ in their own cabin.  Suite passengers could receive tokens so they aren’t inconvenienced.   A set of those same tokens (though perhaps in a non-suite color) could be sold ahead of time at a discount online to those passengers who appreciate a bargain— with an added 20% gratuity for convenience and to benefit the hard working crew.  And for those who have ‘stage fright,’ reservations might even be possible.  

#GO WONDERFULL 

88651913-CEBC-407C-8DE4-92CE5D037114.jpeg

Edited by manmachine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, manmachine said:

What could be next?  Think about this.  Incredible potential for revenue generation.  And really no big burden on anyone.  Install them only in public places, so anyone who doesn’t care for the extra ‘pay as you go’ fee could simply ‘go’ in their own cabin.  Suite passengers could receive tokens so they aren’t inconvenienced.   A set of those same tokens (though perhaps in a non-suite color) could be sold ahead of time at a discount online to those passengers who appreciate a bargain— with an added 20% gratuity for convenience and to benefit the hard working crew.  And for those who have ‘stage fright,’ reservations might even be possible.  

#GO WONDERFULL 

88651913-CEBC-407C-8DE4-92CE5D037114.jpeg

Way back when, I was stationed in Germany and for an Oktoberfest, me and a buddy rented portable toilets and set them up at a base party.  We charged 10 pfennings to use it.  We ended up making a 200 DM profit that day. Never underestimate the need for peed. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

Way back when, I was stationed in Germany and for an Oktoberfest, me and a buddy rented portable toilets and set them up at a base party.  We charged 10 pfennings to use it.  We ended up making a 200 DM profit that day. Never underestimate the need for peed. 

What a great story!  I remember the pfenning. Used to take 50 pfenning to the brochen (sp) man who would sell fresh bread out of the back of his hatchback pinto. This was in K-Town. Best bread ever!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

I am very pleased to meet someone who understands the potential of this idea!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I read recently that US airlines make more net profit on checked baggage fees than any other line item.

It's a somewhat lighthearted thread, but there are SO many parallels that can be made from that simple statement...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

They could go the route of the airline industry and charge for checked luggage brought onboard.

I suggested that along with instituting the fuel surcharge which is written into the contract, as a couple of ways to help payoff the massive debt they occurred, but they chose to to continue cutting cost, and jacking up the pricing just to prove their low regard for their customers.

I think they would have gotten very little blowback. When you booked the cruise, you understood the fuel surcharge was a possibility. As far as the luggage fee, based on the average age of the cruisers before the pandemic, how many would muscle their big bags both on and off the ship?

If people are will to pay the outrageous prices for the drink or internet packages, it would be pretty petty to balk at another $25-$50 for luggage handling. I can just picture the massive traffic jam, getting on an off the ship with a large portion of people schlepping all their own bags.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I suggested that along with instituting the fuel surcharge which is written into the contract, as a couple of ways to help payoff the massive debt they occurred, but they chose to to continue cutting cost, and jacking up the pricing just to prove their low regard for their customers.

I think they would have gotten very little blowback. When you booked the cruise, you understood the fuel surcharge was a possibility. As far as the luggage fee, based on the average age of the cruisers before the pandemic, how many would muscle their big bags both on and off the ship?

If people are will to pay the outrageous prices for the drink or internet packages, it would be pretty petty to balk at another $25-$50 for luggage handling. I can just picture the massive traffic jam, getting on an off the ship with a large portion of people schlepping all their own bags.

Other behind the scenes cost cutting is going on. Our Apex cruise in September from Amsterdam has had port time changes in 4 of our ports. We have one hour less at each port now, and the explanation from Celebrity is they are doing them for "environmental efficiencies" which is cruise speak for we are cruising at slower speeds to conserve fuel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

What a great story!  I remember the pfenning. Used to take 50 pfenning to the brochen (sp) man who would sell fresh bread out of the back of his hatchback pinto. This was in K-Town. Best bread ever!

Yes, those were the good old days! ❤️

Fresh warm brotchen, cheese and a glass of wine made a great lunch! 

• Like 1