Where’s the Beef? Meatloaf in Blu!

Cruising Princess

Okay I thought I have said enough about how Celebrity is downgrading it’s menus but of course I am shocked again!

I was looking at the Blu menus on an upcoming cruise.  One evening they are serving Angus Meatloaf!  And of course no other beef, lamb or veal option.  

Celebrity’s marketing material say Blu is clean cuisine with new healthy options.  

Now I love a good meatloaf but is this aqua cuisine?  Could they find a cheaper cut of beef?  

Well, maybe you can request a "meatloaf" made of ground chuck 48 hours in advance if they have it aboard???

OR if some other type of beef, lamb or veal meatloaf is more to your liking request that instead...???

I know they try to accommodate all reasonable requests if the food is aboard to do so...

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Well, maybe you can request a "meatloaf" made of ground chuck 48 hours in advance if they have it aboard???

OR if some other type of beef, lamb or veal meatloaf is more to your liking request that instead...???

I know they try to accommodate all reasonable requests if the food is aboard to do so...

Never had any luck with this, perhaps this only applies to suite guests?  On my recent Solstice sailing in Blu, you can order off the MDR menu and on the MDR menu they didn't have the NY Strip every night.  I asked Blu if there's any way to get any kind of steak and was told "no" because they weren't on Blu's or the MDR's menu

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Never had any luck with this, perhaps this only applies to suite guests?  On my recent Solstice sailing in Blu, you can order off the MDR menu and on the MDR menu they didn't have the NY Strip every night.  I asked Blu if there's any way to get any kind of steak and was told "no" because they weren't on Blu's or the MDR's menu

Thank you nag, I was not aware they were that strict/conforming in that dining room.

14 hours ago, Cruising Princess said:

Okay I thought I have said enough about how Celebrity is downgrading it’s menus but of course I am shocked again!

I was looking at the Blu menus on an upcoming cruise.  One evening they are serving Angus Meatloaf!  And of course no other beef, lamb or veal option.  

Celebrity’s marketing material say Blu is clean cuisine with new healthy options.  

Now I love a good meatloaf but is this aqua cuisine?  Could they find a cheaper cut of beef?  

Remember, Celebrity is the ‘culinary line.’

• Haha 10

17 hours ago, Cruising Princess said:

Angus isn’t a cut of beef, it’s a type of beef, and there are certainly cheaper types than Angus.

On the bright side, you could be in the main dining room and be getting pork and beans.

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, Cruising Princess said:

This option has been on the menu for years and it's delicious!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you nag, I was not aware they were that strict/conforming in that dining room.

The way you shorten usernames, I'm glad you were responding to NutsAboutGolf and not AlwaysSailingSomewhere 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

Well meat loaf could be substituted  with penne pasta marinara with meat balls & Italian sausage ,Yum !! (they have  Italian sausage  because pizza has it on it )  .Add a salad with arrugala   leaf  lettuce  , small tomatoes ,black & green olives  & a glass of  Chianti wine . 

Edited by mcrcruiser

I grew up eating meatloaf, mashed potato''s, gravy, and green beans.  It was a family favorite and we had it usually at least once a week.  Just like ham hocks, turnip greens, and black eyed peas.  Got to love good ol' southern US cuisine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, L75317 said:

We're cruising the Beyond in March and I see virtually no red meat on the various MDR menus in the App. Will anything possibly be added? I can't imagine this is it?!!! Trying to stay positive, but it's hard. 

Yes, you will find lots of bologna (technically Mortadella) sandwiches on the buffet at night.  And the hockey puck hamburgers at the Mast Grill.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I grew up eating meatloaf, mashed potato''s, gravy, and green beans.  It was a family favorite and we had it usually at least once a week.  Just like ham hocks, turnip greens, and black eyed peas.  Got to love good ol' southern US cuisine. 

I grew up that way also with a family of 8.  Whenever someone tells me something is "home made" I tell them that is why I left home.  😃 

I like meatloaf, mashed, and green beans, but just not on a cruise.  If there's nothing on the menu that meets my fancy, I go for the strip steak, but I'm reading that's no longer available?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I grew up that way also with a family of 8.  Whenever someone tells me something is "home made" I tell them that is why I left home.  😃 

I like meatloaf, mashed, and green beans, but just not on a cruise.  If there's nothing on the menu that meets my fancy, I go for the strip steak, but I'm reading that's no longer available?

On the Solstice it was roughly every other night.  There also wasn't any more Wellington, Prime rib or ribeye like there used to be in the past.  May vary by ship

58 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

One of the first meals, other than grits, that I taught my non-American wife to prepare was meatloaf.  We not longer have it as often as we use too because we are trying to watch how much red meat we consume but I love it when she makes it. 

3 hours ago, L75317 said:

We're cruising the Beyond in March and I see virtually no red meat on the various MDR menus in the App. Will anything possibly be added? I can't imagine this is it?!!! Trying to stay positive, but it's hard. 

I find it very humorous when I see these kind of continuous posts about no meat on the menus. Then I see people who are on board posting the menu and I kind of have a disconnect. Maybe they're on the menu but they won't serve them? This is from the Solstice yesterday.  

SmartSelect_20230214_231255_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I somehow find it funny that most dishes mentioned in this thread are some derivation of someone's comfort food. Some just have a fancier name than "meatloaf". They should have just called it "pain de viande".

Beef Wellington is presumably a derivation of centuries old meat in pastries, including such pedestrian offerings as pasties in Ireland. The French did a lot of them. Wellington was wealthy enough after Waterloo that they used tenderloin, and the British deleted the French names.

Beef bourguignon is a wonderful French name for a stew that originated to slow cook largely inedible meat to become edible and is now, at least somewhat thanks to Julia Child, a delicacy.

Chicken and waffles have now become a US comfort food, and they're served in all types and levels of restaurants. Do they need to call them poulet et gaufres to make them sound fancier?

I mean steak tartare sounds a lot better than raw semi-ground beef with raw egg and salmonella and E coli!

Most histories I've seen of pizza involve a working man's foldable lunch. The original "cold pizza" would have been lunch.

A well made meatloaf with a high end ground beef, which ground Angus should be, is just another comfort food, like most of the other modern interpretations of European peasant dishes people pay a lot of money for...

Food history can be fun.

OK, there was tongue in cheek aspect of that. But do we need 200 years of American meatloaf, and a French chef to rename it, to make it sound like a real dish? If I didn't cook it and mixed in some onions, topped it with a raw egg yolk, and called it steak tartare, would people be happy? Might be harder to spot the noro outbreak...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, markeb said:

...like most of the other modern interpretations of European peasant dishes people pay a lot of money for...

This exactly. When I was young, the shanks were the scraps that butchers would pretty much give away. My grandmother would bring home bags full that we used in our sauce. Nowadays Osso Buco is a delicacy and so is Pasta Fagioli, two staples in our household growing up.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

I find it very humorous when I see these kind of continuous posts about no meat on the menus. Then I see people who are on board posting the menu and I kind of have a disconnect. Maybe they're on the menu but they won't serve them? This is from the Solstice yesterday.  

SmartSelect_20230214_231255_Facebook.jpg

I believe if you compare menus before January and that menu you will find a difference.  Too many threads on this issue.