LIVE from Pursuit, Buenos Aires - Rio, Feb 25-Mar 7

asnaleah

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from asnaleah! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

asnaleah was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

My first Azamara “live from”, so excited to board Saturday!! DH and I fly tomorrow from Chicago to Buenos Aires to begin our adventure. Staying at the Alvear Palace hotel, tours booked, all packed - CARRY ON only, woo hoo! So happy to have self-laundry on board. 

We are planning to bring some Argentinian wines on board, but I hear the wine selection has improved on Pursuit. We will decide if the ultimate package is worthwhile once we get a look at the ever elusive wine list. I will keep you posted. 

So happy and grateful to be able to take this cruise! More later…

Erin

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, asnaleah said:

My first Azamara “live from”, so excited to board Saturday!! DH and I fly tomorrow from Chicago to Buenos Aires to begin our adventure. Staying at the Alvear Palace hotel, tours booked, all packed - CARRY ON only, woo hoo! So happy to have self-laundry on board. 

We are planning to bring some Argentinian wines on board, but I hear the wine selection has improved on Pursuit. We will decide if the ultimate package is worthwhile once we get a look at the ever elusive wine list. I will keep you posted. 

So happy and grateful to be able to take this cruise! More later…

Erin

Great 👍 have a wonderful voyage. I have written a review of my Azamara Pursuit voyage and it is published on Cruise Critic under Azamara reviews, if you still want to read one experience before your trip.

Ivi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone from the UK care to chip in how is Buenos Aires for British guests.  Our cruise to Antarctica next year starts/finishes there and we have to think about days pre cruise in particular.  We have done all the tourist spots so do not need long but as a cruiser who likes contingencies, we will want to arrive well ahead "just in case" flights go wrong.  Last time we stayed in BA in 2014 we experienced a lot of unprovoked hostility to British travellers even though we never raised the "small island" issue or mentioned Margaret Thatcher (!).  In 2019 we flew home direct from the ship so weren't "mixing around" as much.  Just curious

And really looking forward to reading this live from

• Like 1

Just got back from BA. Can't say I noticed much hostility though the Falklands is still a surprisingly sensitive topic. But it really is only a distraction to the more serious issue of an economy in meltdown. I came across quite a lot of down in the mouth natives. Anyone not in the dollar economy, and paid in pesos, is pretty much living hand to mouth given it is impossible to save.

For tourists, the big issue is of course currency. Just before my trip, the government changed the rules to allow card purchases to be transacted at what I would call the real market rate (Blue dollar) rather than the laughable official rate, which is roughly half. Hence my hotel cost halved from c£300 a night to £150. This makes BA very affordable, even for high end places and avoids the need to carry vast amounts of pesos from Western Union that won't fit in your wallet. But things might change before now and next winter given how unstable the country is, so google before you go, you might still need some Western Union cash.

That hotel incidentally was the Palladio M Gallery. It's not as flashy as the Alvear Palace but the service was exceptional, the concierge especially so (he sorted our outings). The larger rooms are very comfortable and because it is a newish hotel, it's in a good state of repair (that currency crisis also has the effect of limiting the ability to procure materials for repairs/renewals). If you do stay there, the in house restaurant was surprisingly good and if you want a change from classic steak houses, there is a lovely small restaurant around the corner called Resto SCA (in the Society of Architects building).

I think it is fair to say that the economic crisis made me feel a little less safe than, for example, Montevideo which struck me as a much more prosperous place. So I think you do have to be careful not to stray too far from the beaten track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2