The Patter has a New Name

LACruiser88

11 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

On the app it is named “Journey View Activities Timeline”. The names and changes are ridiculous.

Now club class is reserve collection.  The purser desk is guest services. The maitre d’hotel is director of restaurant operations. 

funny that the love boat is still the love boat, and has not been renamed the “ship of random romance”

The names changes are probably thought up by the same idiots who decided to call it crew appreciation.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The Patter was name after someone named Patricia.  Trivia from a Captain Circle Party.  Don’t recall what her importance was, but she may have BEEN someone special.

So they’ve taken away their namesake.  How sad and disrespectful.  

The SS Princess Patricia was PCL's first ship, serving during 1965-66. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Princess_Patricia

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, koreakruiser said:

The SS Princess Patricia was PCL's first ship, serving during 1965-66. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Princess_Patricia

Thank you.  My daughter is a university professor.  One of the first lessons she assigns her students is to find primary sources.  Most come back with wikipedia....which is a collaboration of just anyone's additions.  So I stay away from quoting anything from wikipedia.  

But I appreciate you taking the time to jog my memory.  

14 hours ago, CapnCrews said:

"Coke Classic"

Yeah.

Yeah, it matters.

According to a very famous British playwriter - "A Rose by any other name is still a rose" although I am slightly misquoting the text.

DON

16 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you.  My daughter is a university professor.  One of the first lessons she assigns her students is to find primary sources.  Most come back with wikipedia....which is a collaboration of just anyone's additions.  So I stay away from quoting anything from wikipedia.  

But I appreciate you taking the time to jog my memory.  

Making me do my homework tonight.  🙂

https://www.cruiselinehistory.com/the-origin-of-princess-cruises-and-their-naming-the-princess-ships/

https://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?ref=6646

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, koreakruiser said:

You deserve an A+ for your diligence and perseverance.  I never use red for grading.  Thank you so very much for enlightening all of us.  

16 hours ago, CapnCrews said:

I never liked "patter". 

It always made it sound like the passageways would be filled with barefoot babies running up and down.

For years Mrs Ldubs has, affectionately,  called it the pitter patter.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

It had the new name on the Ruby in December, but any time the staff referred to it, they called it "The Patter."

• Like 2

10 hours ago, voljeep said:

as long as there is still a paper version available.  It's hard to get those yellow highlighted marks off the phone from the previous days activities 😉

Even harder to remove them from the cabin TV.

5 minutes ago, PrincessBuffy said:

Not that consistency is their thing...if they had to change it why not just call it Journey View as well?

On the App you can see the info for the entire cruise, in other words, the journey.

The printed page is just for one day, so Daily Veiew would be a more accurate description.

• Thanks 2

I don't think Princess (or JP) foresaw the backlash for the MedallionClass App or all the problems that app would cause. 

I think Princess really wanted to make the Patter obsolete and have all guests use only the app on their phones and the portals on the ship.  The problem, as we all know, is that Journey View on the app stinks; it makes an annoying noise every time you click on an event for more details (you can't shut it off!), is hard to navigate, and is overall clumsy to use.  It would have been much better had the developers just listed the schedule top to bottom in columns without the "bubbles" and without the side to side navigation.  The developers made it too high tech to its detriment.  I think the Event Listings is just a way to bridge the time between the paper version of the schedule of events and digitalizing the schedule of events in totality.  It's a time that I hope won't happen until Journey View on the app is fixed.  I think they're trying to get those who are loyal to Princess to forget about the Patter and justify it by saying it saves paper.  Just look at the Event Listings...the info on it is getting pretty sparse as compared to the Patter.

19 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Totally agree.

We saw him last night in the Wheelhouse, he is very talented and entertaining.

Oh I don't use the journey view I use the old ocean concierge! Much nicer and user friendly of a layout and way better aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

You do not need the intranet package either to get to this web page when you're on board the ship as long as you're hooked up to the ships Wi-Fi to you see intranet to access it as it cannot be accessed without the intranet.

For example if you are on the Sky Princess you just type in the following into your web browser....

Sky.pincess.com

You just change the name of the actual ship you're on to access the patter/events for the day. And I actually prefer using this to looking looking up the menus as it just quicker and easier to access.

I also always keep a shortcut to the homepage on my phone just to make it easy access so I don't have to keep typing in the web address every time. 

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

Oh I don't use the journey view I use the old ocean concierge! Much nicer and user friendly of a layout and way better aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

You do not need the intranet package either to get to this web page when you're on board the ship as long as you're hooked up to the ships Wi-Fi to you see intranet to access it as it cannot be accessed without the intranet.

For example if you are on the Sky Princess you just type in the following into your web browser....

Sky.pincess.com

You just change the name of the actual ship you're on to access the patter/events for the day. And I actually prefer using this to looking looking up the menus as it just quicker and easier to access.

I also always keep a shortcut to the homepage on my phone just to make it easy access so I don't have to keep typing in the web address every time. 

This is what I do as well.  So, so, so much better! I add a shortcut to my homescreen and voila!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Back in the old days, when one had to dine with strangers...

We sat with a delightful couple ... Gene and Marty.

Marty told us one story about how they were on some cruise, and a waiter had tried to kill himself by jumping overboard.

She was still annoyed that their next port arrival was delayed because because the ship had to turn back, and search for the waiter.

(I just wanted to appropriately set the delightfullness)

It was a 14 day cruise.   Every night at dinner, she was say something about the patter, and then say:

"Gene always calls it the pitter patter".

For 14 freakin' dinners.

OK.  We got it.  Gene is the most clever guy on the planet.

Thank god forced dining with strangers is gone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2