WOW...this is a first for me...how RUDE can Holland be !

Shippy

I know some people use a cpap & need distilled water.

My husband has had several sinus surgeries & must use a medicated rinse every day that requires distilled water.

We have traveled on many cruiselines & have never had a problem ordering that in advance to have delivered to the cabin

ALWAYS has been complementary.

I had forgotten to order for our cruise that leaves this Saturday.

I just called Holland & they informed me they no longer do that. She checked my booking & said that since we have a beverage package, we can just order it every day & have it come off of that !

I know there are cutbacks but I find this one a bit petty !

• Like 1

I would try calling back. Sadly I do not trust information I get from many of those I have spoken with when calling into HAL. Many are Call Center people that have not been trained and when they do nt know how to answer they simply make up an answer that results in NO. I will say that HAL is the only cruise line that Charged for Distilled water in the past which I could see if it was previously complimentary saying they now charge but...obviously not the case. I would try calling again. Unnforutately Guest Services is now handled by this same call center which is mostly over seas. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Petty or RUDE?  Not sure I see the RUDE part of this. Hope you work it out.

You are right, just a bit petty I guess.

I was just used to this being complementary on other lines & it caught me off guard.

We are old & back from the days where there was no such thing as a pay restaurant, charge for ice cream, specialty coffee, fresh squeezed juice, etc.

I am sure other lines will follow suit & also charge for the water. It seems what one line does, the others will follow.

This is the new way of cruising but still the best bang for your buck.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Shippy said:

My husband has had several sinus surgeries & must use a medicated rinse every day that requires distilled water.

We have traveled on many cruiselines & have never had a problem ordering that in advance to have delivered to the cabin

I just called Holland & they informed me they no longer do that. She checked my booking & said that since we have a beverage package, we can just order it every day & have it come off of that !

37 minutes ago, Shippy said:

They no longer give distilled water complementary, however you can preorder it online at this time the cost is 2.95 a gallon. My wife uses a CPAP and we never had a problem getting it. Usually i preorder it online under packages, but on one of our longer trips I ordered more on the ship.

Since you leave on Saturday you maybe past the preorder cut off but you can talk to your room room steward, or guest services once on board.

Enjoy your trip.

• Like 5

On our last cruise in November 2022, I ordered distilled water at Guest Services straight away (couldn't find how on the site) and had it delivered by nightfall that day.  I have always paid for it on HAL (since I began using a CPAP machine in early 2018).  

• Like 1

is there something different with the water in the tap in HAL. My partner's CPAP doesn't need distilled water - just tap water - which we used last year on Cunard with no issues. I assume the tap water is drinkable? If that's the case we'll just keep using that 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, lissie said:

is there something different with the water in the tap in HAL. My partner's CPAP doesn't need distilled water - just tap water - which we used last year on Cunard with no issues. I assume the tap water is drinkable? If that's the case we'll just keep using that 

My partner and I both use a Cpap.  At home I use distilled water but the water on the ship is desalinated.  We have used ship water for years without any problems.

Helen

• Like 11

1 hour ago, lissie said:

When I used the humidifier on my CPAP I used the tap water on HAL, never an issue.  The last 3 years I’ve had the dehumidifier disengaged as after over 12 years of using it, it became annoying. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Yes, the tap water is drinkable.  It's the same water that you get served at restaurants across the ship.

• Like 4

We have  had to pay for distilled water for hubby's cpap at least since 2015. It is free on Princess. It should be free . 

We do also drink the tap water and it tastes fine. I have a system for drinking and it involved the ice bucket filled twice a day and letting it melt..although I know the ice comes from the same tap water source it somehow makes me feel better about drinking it ,haha

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HELENPSL said:

My partner and I both use a Cpap.  At home I use distilled water but the water on the ship is desalinated.  We have used ship water for years without any problems.

Helen

Thanks -  Iwas starting to think there was something different about HAL ships as everyone seems to buy distilled water! 

• Like 2

On Princess, the tap water is distilled (as we were told/shown on the ship tour), hence Princess providing bottles of distilled water for free is likely them just providing ship’s water that hasn’t been piped to your cabin. However I am not sure if the water they provide is ship water or store bought, I didn’t have a CPAP when we sailed on Princess.

I’ve heard HAL’s water is desalinated, which isn’t the same as distilled.

Most CPAP manufacturers recommend using distilled water to avoid buildup, etc.

I personally don’t have a problem paying for distilled water on the ship as I have to pay for it when I am at home, not sure why I should or would expect HAL to provide it for free.

I also don’t have an issue using bottled water, or even tap water, in my CPAP. I just clean it more often when doing so to avoid mineral buildup. However I don’t use my tap water as home as our county water is drawn from wells and is very mineral heavy, as witnessed by the buildup in our humidifiers we use during the winter.

Edited by jonesbk
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, jonesbk said:

Most CPAP manufacturers recommend using distilled water to avoid buildup, etc.

It's not just the issue of buildup in the CPAP device itself (which can ruin your device), it's also making sure you aren't using any water that might contain bacteria or other impurities. 

• Like 3

I'm surprised to learn that HAL charges CPAP users for distilled water.  I know that when you request this from NCL by going through their Special Needs department, there is no charge for the water.

BTW, folks who travel frequently might want to look into a travel-size CPAP device that does not have an actual humidifier requiring water, but uses something called HME - Heat Moisture Exchange. 

Take a look at the Breas Z2 devices (most current is the Z2 auto).  It does not use a proprietary mask (unlike the ResMed AirMini) -- you can use the mask you use on your "home" CPAP.

https://breas.us/products/cpaps-for-travel/z2-auto/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shippy said:

Yikes.  What ignorance.   

I hope the one-gallon jug would just count as one drink under the beverage package. 😂

(Seriously, not funny whatsoever.) 

39 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

Out of curiosity, where does HAL get the distilled water? Do they buy it from a vendor? Distill it themselves from the desalinated water on board?

A good question,  when I had preordered it and they didn’t have it onboard in Fort Lauderdale they got it from off another HAL ship when we were in Half moon Cay. 

23 hours ago, bennybear said:

Just don’t count on it being there.   It took two days to get some we had preordered and that was leaving from FLL. 

HAL buys it from a vendor.  On our New England cruise last year, the supply of distilled water did not arrive, so of course we didn't get it!  Used the tap water until we got to a port (either Prince Edward Island or Halifax), where we saw them carrying bottle of water onto the ship (and one to our cabin!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShipWalker said:

Out of curiosity, where does HAL get the distilled water? Do they buy it from a vendor? Distill it themselves from the desalinated water on board?

When we order hubby's distilled water for his cpap, it is always the standard gallon size that we get in our local grocery store. it is always sealed from the original manufacturer..no doubt at all.. just like the ones we buy at home. We would not accept it if it was not sealed.

7 hours ago, pmjnh said:

It should be free . 

If it is free, I'd like two gallons please..........distilled water is not free at the grocery store...Not sure why it should be free on a ship?

Now my bread pudding at lunch in lido, that should always be surcharge free...and it is and it is yummy. 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

If it is free, I'd like two gallons please..........distilled water is not free at the grocery store...Not sure why it should be free on a ship?

Now my bread pudding at lunch in lido, that should always be surcharge free...and it is and it is yummy. 

It is free on Princess..probably because it is for a medical device...at our grocery store it is 79 cents.

$2.95 on the ship is steep.

I agree about the bread pudding ..delish😋

• Like 1