Confiscated Items

MayorDrafty

On John Heald's video this morning, he mentioned that things had been getting confiscated that shouldn't have been, and this it has stopped.  He didn't specify what the items were.  Anyone have any idea what he's talking about?  I saw a video elsewhere where it was mentioned that a man's nose hair scissors were taken, and in the roll call for my cruise earlier this month someone posted that they were taking non-surge protected power strips, but that's all I've heard.  BOTH of those were in Tampa, btw, and John's comment came right after talking about facial biometrics coming to Tampa.

Just curious!

Those are certainly two. Mobile confiscated all scissors and a power strip having an on-off switch even though they admitted it didn't have surge protection. I did get them to hold all items until after the cruise, and had backups for everything. I have head of other ports with random seizures.

Well for me, my scissors are in my bag along with razor, deodorant, contact lens solution, etc. It's all in one kit. So whether I'll need them or not, they're coming with me when I'm packing for a trip.

• Like 2

They have tried to confiscate my power strip without a surge protector before, but I have been able to convince them that it is not surge protected.

On a recent cruise, one of our party asked the Stateroom Attendant for an extension cord for her CPAP.  They brought her a power strip with a long cord and it had a surge protector.  I guess this is what they do with the confiscated items!  They don't follow their own rules.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, jiggs said:

is this more of a checked bag or carry on thing or doesn't matter..?  I'm suddenly questioning a power supply without surge but offers a shared 60W over several USBC outlets.

In my experience more of over zealous screeners and carry on, but there are idiots everywhere.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

In my experience more of over zealous screeners and carry on, but there are idiots everywhere.

Yeah, I was hoping this was carry-on thing.  My non-surge power strip made it through checked bag screening no problem back in Feb.  Forgot to take my Sasquatch control tool (scissors).

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TomCruise48 said:

They brought her a power strip with a long cord and it had a surge protector.

Are you sure it was surge protected, or merely had a circuit breaker on it?  How was it identified as being surge protected?  Genuinely curious.

They took my money clip in Port Canaveral. This thing has a one inch blade. I said, I thought very small blades were allowed. They said this counts as hidden so we have to take it. This same blade has also been on 20 cruises before this by the way. 

61PSwhWyYKL._AC_SL1440_.jpg

Edited by asalligo

6 minutes ago, asalligo said:

They took my money clip in Port Canaveral. This thing has a one inch blade. I said, I thought very small blades were allowed. They said this counts as hidden so we have to take it. This same blade has also been on 20 cruises before this by the way. 

Hmm, I'm not sure where their line of what they allow vs not is - but if I were running security for CCL I wouldn't allow that either.

We're in a different world than we were 20 cruises ago.

• Like 7

The FAQ has changed in the past year regarding scissors. Here is the link (truncated) and text:

https://www.carnival.com/help/3583#section-3

Prohibited Items

• Knives, scissors and open razors.

Exemptions and other considerations:

• Ham radios/amateur radio equipment (I carry one, and also carry the manual and my license copy along with this policy in hard copy.)
  • Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, shavers, and other electrical devices, such as fans (no larger than 12" in diameter), power strips, multi plug box outlets/adapters, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed when used with proper caution.  However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned on debarkation morning.

See you at sea!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

The FAQ has changed in the past year regarding scissors. Here is the link (truncated) and text:

https://www.carnival.com/help/3583#section-3

Prohibited Items

• Knives, scissors and open razors.

Exemptions and other considerations:

• Ham radios/amateur radio equipment (I carry one, and also carry the manual and my license copy along with this policy in hard copy.)
  • Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, shavers, and other electrical devices, such as fans (no larger than 12" in diameter), power strips, multi plug box outlets/adapters, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed when used with proper caution.  However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned on debarkation morning.

See you at sea!

I remember on one of my cruises during the initial restart, the magician onboard remarked that he had to surrender the scissors he used for his act and check them out from security for his performances.

Edited by mz-s

I don't remember what the item was but it was Tampa that was being over zealous. An item was confiscated from a YouTuber that should not have been.

Fans wrote in on their behalf and John confirmed it was allowed. When the youtuber explained this to the head of security upon returning, they were told "I don't care what they said when you come through my port we will be taking it."

Upon being told this, John mentioned they would be having a meeting with Port of Tampa the following day. Looks like carnival was successful even if it's been another week or so since the issue happened.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

I'm 100% picturing John Candy in Vacation saying "a BB could get lodged under the skin and cause a VERY serious infection"

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

The irony of disallowing small pocket knives. 

image.thumb.png.3b7bc88032f0130fa2c4a27eb690c881.png

We always laugh about this as they once took my wooden completely unsharpened wall decoration shaped like a knife that we bought in the Bahamas and an hour later handed me a serrated ten in long pointed steak knife. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, asalligo said:

I wouldn't let you on with that and it isn't smart to carry that in a foreign country. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, asalligo said:

hmmmm  Dont enter Canada with that as it would be considered a concealed prohibited weapon by customs if they found it.  As to the 20 cruises i cant speak to that but i have gone through airports numerous times and then be stopped at one.  I guess it all depends on the person and the place.  There really is no standard of training to ensure that everyone is doing it the same.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

hmmmm  Dont enter Canada with that as it would be considered a concealed prohibited weapon by customs if they found it.  As to the 20 cruises i cant speak to that but i have gone through airports numerous times and then be stopped at one.  I guess it all depends on the person and the place.  There really is no standard of training to ensure that everyone is doing it the same.

Same with Mexico. I'm sure Brittney Griner passed through Russian security with weed numerous times until the one time she got caught. 

5 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

I don't remember what the item was but it was Tampa that was being over zealous. An item was confiscated from a YouTuber that should not have been.

Fans wrote in on their behalf and John confirmed it was allowed. When the youtuber explained this to the head of security upon returning, they were told "I don't care what they said when you come through my port we will be taking it."

Upon being told this, John mentioned they would be having a meeting with Port of Tampa the following day. Looks like carnival was successful even if it's been another week or so since the issue happened.

Shortly after restart I had a small pair of manicure scissors taken from my cosmetic bag (am sure if in suitcase would not have been seen and I was not trying to hide it as they travel everywhere with me) by an overzealous person who rifled through my purse then my cosmetic bag (I had no idea what he was looking for, he insisted I had a knife) and when he finally spotted my manicure scissors he held them up in the air and smiled and said “ah ha” - I couldn’t believe it. 

• Haha 1