Do you cruise to other countries for the ''people'' I don't how about you.

dolittle

Almost all travel cliche's are true but this one is not to me . I go to places to see many things natural beauty , history ,great buildings and many other things. If I meet people along the way (locals) great but it is not the reason I travel. Many on this site will say the best thing about this place is the ''people '' sorry I just do not get that , to me if that is the case they must not have much to see . I have meet many nice people along the way but it is never ''the '' reason to cruise. 

• Like 1

The people we meet while traveling are like the icing on the cake. People like the Messianic Jewish taxi driver we encountered in Jerusalem was one of my favorites. He stopped while we were walking in the Kidron Valley and told us to hop in for a free ride up the hill. He said God told him to do this. Random, unexpected encounters like this are memorable. Another taxi driver in Fiji invited us to his home for tea and dessert. I probably have a hundred stories like this. 

• Like 4

History is nothing without the people. The buildings are nothing without the people. The cuisine and preparation are nothing without the people. Art is nothing without the people. Culture is nothing without the people. Take the people away and what do you have left?

Without the people, your experiences can be satisfied with an old National Geographics magazine. That magazine and the pictures are what expanded my horizon and allowed my dreams to take me to these destinations to experience the people.

• Like 1

I love meeting locals. I am not trying to form any friendships per se, but for example I love hitting up local bars and restaurants and chatting with people there. Sure, I love seeing the "sites", but I get just as much if not more of out seeing how the locals live. And as someone who is from a fairly obscure African country, I love nothing more than seeing visitors in our local places attempting to do the same. 

• Like 1

Funnily enough I recently posted about just this topic over on the Ports of Call board for Italy. I will slightly paraphrase here:

Everyone travels differently. Just like there are different types of learners (visual, auditory, learn-by-doing), there are different travel styles. 

Saying this probably will sound rude to some, but I don't really care that much about meeting locals when I travel. 😱  What makes travel special to me is seeing where history was made -- the sites of ancient civilizations, ancient battles, places where great historic figures lived and breathed, the things people wrote poems, epics, songs about. Second to that, I love seeing the height of human achievements through the ages -- sculpture, architecture, paintings, jewelry and other decorative objects, etc.

I'm not saying that it's not pleasant to converse with locals -- but for me it's not a big imperative. I'm not a great one for wanting to cozy up to the local vintners or cheesemakers or artisans or "everyday people". The type of tour where you visit local people in their homes has always seemed cringey to me, like an imposition.  I've had great conversations with guides, but they've been about a shared love of history, or experiences at an archaeological dig, or local lore. 

The things I remember most are impressions, moments when I've been more or less on my own in the environment. Sitting on a column drum at Troy, trying to figure out the (seven? nine?) different layers of history, one on top of the other. Walking along the aqueduct on the beach at Caesarea Marittima in Israel at sunset, looking for graffiti written by the Roman soldiers who built it. Studying the 1900-year-old writing tablets in the almost empty museum at Vindolanda, along Hadrian's Wall, trying to imagine what it must have felt like to be a Roman soldier posted to this desolate border of the empire. Standing on the roof of Notre Dame at noon while the bells tolled -- so loud you can actually feel the vibrations -- while looking out at Paris below me.

I've stored away so many impressions like these. Very few have to do with people I've met or talked with.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

It's the woman at the ticket booth or gift shop counter with the lovely accent and cheerful demeanor.  Or the guide who clearly loves her country and it showed with every word.  What a special treat when she took us to her house to meet her cats!  The guide in Scotland who was actually Italian but he moved to Scotland when he married his sweatheart (about 50 years ago).

The taxi driver who told crazy tales of his time in the USA.  Or the couple at the airport coming home from vacation in California while we waited to fly home to California.  "They should warn you the speed limit is just a suggestion!"  🤪

There was that one fellow in the subway in London who helped us find our route.  He was so funny.  I have lots of stories like that.

I have many other stories of castles, cathedrals and ancient stone circles.  Ruins and relics.  Narrow streets with intersting doors.  Beautiful meadows, moors and mountains.  Wild seas.  Weird and surprising archectectural styles.

But, to me travel is the whole experience, people included.  "Icing on the cake".  True that.

• Like 2

I think there are actually two topics here.

1. People who cruise for the people - as in people who enjoy cruising as a vacation style because it's an atmosphere where you tend to meet people at dinners and shows and develop friendships. While we don't, I completely understand this preference, especially if cruising as a single.

2. People who travel to other countries to meet the people there - I wouldn't say we travel to other countries to meet the locals. But we love getting off the beaten tourist track and experiencing the local like a local. We have also had many trips where the locals completely made our trip for us. So no, wouldn't travel to Italian because meeting and Italian is on my bucket list. But would thoroughly enjoy meeting a pleasant local while we are there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I think there are actually two topics here.

1. People who cruise for the people - as in people who enjoy cruising as a vacation style because it's an atmosphere where you tend to meet people at dinners and shows and develop friendships. While we don't, I completely understand this preference, especially if cruising as a single.

2. People who travel to other countries to meet the people there - I wouldn't say we travel to other countries to meet the locals. But we love getting off the beaten tourist track and experiencing the local like a local. We have also had many trips where the locals completely made our trip for us. So no, wouldn't travel to Italian because meeting and Italian is on my bucket list. But would thoroughly enjoy meeting a pleasant local while we are there. 

The first one has been harder during the pandemic as we are hesitant to get in smaller groups. Still, we generally love our tablemates. I love a cruise where people greet one another going down the hallway or in an elevator. Our last two cruises were polar opposites. The one out of Port Canaveral was a jolly bunch and the 17 day out of Miami carried a rather crabby, irritable crowd. I saw my first fight onboard a ship in Feb!

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Funnily enough I recently posted about just this topic over on the Ports of Call board for Italy. I will slightly paraphrase here:

Everyone travels differently. Just like there are different types of learners (visual, auditory, learn-by-doing), there are different travel styles. 

Saying this probably will sound rude to some, but I don't really care that much about meeting locals when I travel. 😱  What makes travel special to me is seeing where history was made -- the sites of ancient civilizations, ancient battles, places where great historic figures lived and breathed, the things people wrote poems, epics, songs about. Second to that, I love seeing the height of human achievements through the ages -- sculpture, architecture, paintings, jewelry and other decorative objects, etc.

I'm not saying that it's not pleasant to converse with locals -- but for me it's not a big imperative. I'm not a great one for wanting to cozy up to the local vintners or cheesemakers or artisans or "everyday people". The type of tour where you visit local people in their homes has always seemed cringey to me, like an imposition.  I've had great conversations with guides, but they've been about a shared love of history, or experiences at an archaeological dig, or local lore. 

The things I remember most are impressions, moments when I've been more or less on my own in the environment. Sitting on a column drum at Troy, trying to figure out the (seven? nine?) different layers of history, one on top of the other. Walking along the aqueduct on the beach at Caesarea Marittima in Israel at sunset, looking for graffiti written by the Roman soldiers who built it. Studying the 1900-year-old writing tablets in the almost empty museum at Vindolanda, along Hadrian's Wall, trying to imagine what it must have felt like to be a Roman soldier posted to this desolate border of the empire. Standing on the roof of Notre Dame at noon while the bells tolled -- so loud you can actually feel the vibrations -- while looking out at Paris below me.

I've stored away so many impressions like these. Very few have to do with people I've met or talked with.

Well said .I don't want to see anyone's home or anyone's cats.

• Haha 3

On 3/21/2023 at 4:27 PM, dolittle said:

Almost all travel cliche's are true but this one is not to me . I go to places to see many things natural beauty , history ,great buildings and many other things. If I meet people along the way (locals) great but it is not the reason I travel. Many on this site will say the best thing about this place is the ''people '' sorry I just do not get that , to me if that is the case they must not have much to see . I have meet many nice people along the way but it is never ''the '' reason to cruise. 

It's not a one size fits all world.

• Like 2

Many Europeans are much more guarded and seemingly not friendly to strangers. In some parts, smiling at others you don't know indicates you are a simpleton. These same people are usually very kind and sweet if you are properly introduced and spend time with them. Most of us don't have that opportunity.

If this were a scale question from one to five, strongly agree to strongly disagree I would pick 3.  Sure I like people but I am not any more or less social when away from home.  I am comfortable with people of all cultures having spent my career engaging with people from all over the world and living in a very diverse,  multicultural neighborhood. 

On 3/22/2023 at 9:57 AM, cruisemom42 said:

My sentiments exactly.

Dale

If you travel to see a festival isn't that travelling for the people? 90% of a festivities is really people doing stuff and you go and watch them do said stuff😂. I do enjoy talking to locals hearing what it is like to live in a place as travel I think does give a bit of rose tinted view of the world so I do find it educational when you can talk to people who can give you a fuller picture of a destination. 

• Like 1