transportation from ship to airport after cruise

spookie2

What is the most economical way to get from the cruise ship to the Fort Lauderdale airport after the the cruise.  Does Celebrity offer transportation?  

By the way, I will be taking my first Celebrity cruise in May.  I have not been out of the country for 3 years due to the COVID situation.  I came across a good deal and decided to go for it!  I have cruised before, but not for at least 10 yrs.  My first cruise was a 12 day Med cruise on CARNIVAL in 2008 or 2009.  YIKES!!!  I was by myself, and my first time to Europe.  The Carnival Freedom was a new ship.  I still remember seeing red python patterned wallpaper.  LOL!!  Believe it or not.......the trip  was really wonderful.  I then moved over to Princess and did 3 other 10 day cruises solo to Fiji and the South Pacific.  

I have been reading about the changes. I believe that things are not the way they used to be not only at sea, but also on land. I have done  some business travel over the last couple of years, and things were pretty bad.   I don't want to say that I don't have high expectations, but rather realistic expectations.  I am just really glad to be finally going somewhere abroad again.

Sorry, I got a little sidetracked.  I have been out of the cruising game for a while, and I expect to be posting more questions in the future.

I have found Lyft / Uber the most economical.  Taxi's are more convenient and depending on the queue could be faster than Uber or Lyft (I compare prices between the two).  

The ship does provide transportation, via a large bus, that usually cost as much, if not a little more, than a taxi and usually you wait until all the seats are filled before departing the terminal.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have found Lyft / Uber the most economical.  Taxi's are more convenient and depending on the queue could be faster than Uber or Lyft (I compare prices between the two).  

We are big fans of ride share (Lyft/Uber) and have come to rely on them for most aspects of our cruise travel, from home to departure airport, from pre-cruise hotel to the cruise terminal, and from cruise ship to the return home flight.  Very convenient, almost always the most cost effective, but with the "surge" pricing sometimes the price can vary quite a bit so do be aware of that.

we did Larry’s Limo service. Driver came in an SUV, was in contact frequently.    reasonable. clean. professional. 

We saw an Uber driver pick up 3 young ladies. ummm. 3 gals, 3 large suitcases and carryons….small car.  The gals ended up luggage on laps and a tight fit. I d rather pay a bit more and be comfortable and safe. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

we did Larry’s Limo service. Driver came in an SUV, was in contact frequently.    reasonable. clean. professional. 

We saw an Uber driver pick up 3 young ladies. ummm. 3 gals, 3 large suitcases and carryons….small car.  The gals ended up luggage on laps and a tight fit. I d rather pay a bit more and be comfortable and safe. 

That was their choice to go with the cheapest option. We do the XL which is either a minivan or SUV. It costs more, but has the necessary space for the luggage 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dadedumdum said:

Last week, we walked off with our luggage at Port Everglades and took a shared van to FLL for $11/person. Took less than 10 minutes to fill and leave. The taxi line appeared quite long,

How many stops did it make to drop off people at different airlines?

1 hour ago, weregoingcruising said:

How many stops did it make to drop off people at different airlines?

We have taken the cruise line shuttle to the airport several times. FLL isn’t a huge airport so there aren’t a lot of stops. 

2 hours ago, Dadedumdum said:

Last week, we walked off with our luggage at Port Everglades and took a shared van to FLL for $11/person. Took less than 10 minutes to fill and leave. The taxi line appeared quite long,

Same…quick, easy, comfortable! 

We have tried all these options, Larry’s Limo, taxi, shared van, ship transfer, ride share. If not in a big hurry, taxi is my choice although we have always had stellar service from Larry’s Limo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

We have tried all these options, Larry’s Limo, taxi, shared van, ship transfer, ride share. If not in a big hurry, taxi is my choice although we have always had stellar service from Larry’s Limo.

This is us. We used ride share all the time but when they started hitting them with the airport fee it wasn't  worth the savings to wait especially in FLL. We just walk off and into a taxi.

I would use any of the options discussed above and stay away from the cruise line transportation.

We were doing a side by side this month and just needed to go over two terminals. We were standing with the airport transfer people and it was like herding cats! What a show to watch, lack of communication and anyone knowing what was going on. Remember Celebrity hires a vendor to handle transfers, Once you are off the ship your on your own.

Took us an hour and a half to go two terminals since they had to handle the airport people before they called a van for just the two of us. 

I was going to take a cab like last year but I wanted to see this unfold and what a show it was. 

If you have to make a close flight ship transfer would be a waste.

Cheers! 

As a solo traveler, the cruise ship option won't be much more money than any other option, you'll have to check the price.  The advantage is you just follow the crowd to your bus, without waiting on a taxi line, or trying to find the car service/van that's yours (there will be lots of them).  The disadvantage is that you might have to wait until the bus fills, and you might not get to choose when to debark the ship.