Lost Luggage Issues

evandbob

{I went back 5 pages of threads, and didn't see a related posting.}  We drove to Ft Lauderdale seaport from Ft Myers last Saturday, March 25, to sail the Apex.  At the designated luggage drop off area outside pier 26, I removed our 2 bags, gave the licensed porter a $5 tip, and saw them loaded on a trolley.  Apex was the only ship serviced from this drop off site.  After muster and lunch, my wife's bag delivered to our balcony cabin, but my 21" Delsey did not arrive. Wasn't there pre dinner, so around 7:30PM we notified guest services, who accompanied me to the 2nd deck luggage holding area, but we could not find my bag.  I went to MDR dinner in my shorts and tee that I had been wearing on the drive to the port.

The next day I filled out and filed a preliminary report, the a second lost property detail account 24 hrs. later.  Guest services gave me two white tee shirts and a disposable toothbrush and razor.  I went to dinner that night in the same sox, briefs and shorts I wore when driving to the port, but with a new clean white tee. Still no sign of my lost bag.  For some reason, guest services kept asking me about what airline and airport we used to travel to the port, even though both missing property reports indicated that we drove.

On Tuesday evening, at our 1st port of San Juan, we were finally able to go shopping and get some replacement attire.  Marshall's had briefs, tees, polos, shorts, and sox, as well as a bathing suit, but no long 42" dress pants.  It took some searching, but we finally found one pair which cost as much as all our Marshall purchases put together.

I continued to get follow up reports from guest services, They did a full ship search again as well as had the port embarking station searched, but no bag.  I was not given any OBC or ship credit to use for buying attire in the ship's stores, nor any "goodwill" gestures like a comped specialty dining meal, but  I did receive a ticket to have 1 clothing item cleaned free of charge.  (as "elite" I get 1 bag of free laundry anyway).  GS continued to ask me about airlines and airport though.  On the last day, I was given an 800 # to call after arriving home.

That phone call led me to an on line claim form to be filled and filed.  Hopefully I hear a response sometime tomorrow.  We do have an annual travel insurance policy, and I'm guessing I'll get a final resolution from them, rather than Celebrity.

We have experienced perhaps 65 cruises, approx. 15 on Celebrity, but this was the 1st time we had luggage missing.  Anyone else have a similiar post pandemic issue?  Is my report typical?

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, George C said:

Never had issue in 75 cruises, but would highly recommend apple air tags or something similar that tracks your luggage.

Apple air tags are relatively inexpensive, easy to connect to luggage and a fabulous way to track luggage, including whether the luggage made it onto the flight or onto the cruise ship!  We have used them for the past year and half and love 'em!!

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The port is responsible for the bags until on the ship.  Your homeowners insurance also likely has coverage as well.

Definitely a new one for me.  Nothing about this could be called typical.

Good luck.

The port is responsible for the bags until on the ship.  Your homeowners insurance also likely has coverage as well.

Good luck.

Good luck.

I agree with Arizona Wildcat.  From 2008 to this past Christmas/NYE, we have 26 Celebrity cruises under our belt and never experienced lost luggage.

AirTags are great. We use them for our luggage and I have one inside my purse.

No need to porter a 21” Delsey (assuming you rebuy that size or they find the suitcase and get it home to you). That size will fit through the scanners, so you can walk it on and deliver it immediately to your room once you board (I have a 22” Delsey that went through the scanners in Port Everglades last month). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

Apple air tags are relatively inexpensive, easy to connect to luggage and a fabulous way to track luggage, including whether the luggage made it onto the flight or onto the cruise ship!  We have used them for the past year and half and love 'em!!

I'm a strong supporter of AirTags also.   I often check on my bay both on airline as well as cruise ships.

Prior to using I once went to get my baggage at end of the cruise and my suite case was missing.   I contacted an agent and about 15 minutes later they told me it was on the other side of customs - someone picked it up and then later realized it wasn't theirs and gave it to a security person.     My Air Tag would have told me exactly where it was. 

BTW I also use one in my car for when I can't find it in a parking lot... .LOL

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, xamsx said:

No need to porter a 21” Delsey (assuming you rebuy that size or they find the suitcase and get it home to you). That size will fit through the scanners, so you can walk it on and deliver it immediately to your room once you board (I have a 22” Delsey that went through the scanners in Port Everglades last month). 

i had walked my Delsey on board probably 55 times already, but old age , cardiac issues, bad back and hips now "gang up" on me and make the incline embarkation unbearable while toting even such a small and light weight bag.  When I need a wheelchair to get up the ramps, I'll probably be sailing Holland.

So, despite your claim, there is indeed a need for me to check my luggage.

My original question was: Anyway have any experience with lost luggage post pandemic?    Thx!

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm a strong supporter of AirTags also.   I often check on my bay both on airline as well as cruise ships.

Prior to using I once went to get my baggage at end of the cruise and my suite case was missing.   I contacted an agent and about 15 minutes later they told me it was on the other side of customs - someone picked it up and then later realized it wasn't theirs and gave it to a security person.     My Air Tag would have told me exactly where it was. 

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim_laine, you are brilliant!  I hate using my panic button to find my car: it announces to everyone nearby I've lost it (car and maybe my mind too 🙂. ).  Am going to put an air tag in my car!  THANK YOU!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

On a cruise that ended at San Pedro some years ago we went to claim our luggage and found it was gone.  A similar bag was there.  Someone else took it - black nylon bag with a white spray paint stripe!  Our bag ended up in Idaho.  Got it back  2 weeks later.

Now always carry our bags off - just 2 so not hard to do.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xamsx said:

Agree, but anyone hear of a bag checked at the pier being stolen?  Dropped into the ocean?  Yes.  Stolen, no.

3 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Too late to help…but always a good idea to cross pack in suitcases so at least each person would have some clothing.

Yes, thx...... just figured it'd never happen to me, haha. of course when I walked it on myself maybe 55 + times, yeah it never got lost then......!

• Like 1

Just now, Arizona Wildcat said:

Agree, but anyone hear of a bag checked at the pier being stolen?  Dropped into the ocean?  Yes.  Stolen, no.

Yes, we've even seen pics of luggage floating between the ship and the pier.  Something that happens to someone else, haha.

Yes, mine was stolen by a port worker so it does happen!! Eventually they found it in a closet hidden and I did recover it minus MANY things after the cruise was almost over.  Now we use neon "seat belts" on our luggage once we get it from baggage claim at the airport and use locks before handing it over to them.  So far so good...we figure if it's not easy to get into they'll move on....

4 hours ago, evandbob said:

{I went back 5 pages of threads, and didn't see a related posting.}  We drove to Ft Lauderdale seaport from Ft Myers last Saturday, March 25, to sail the Apex.  At the designated luggage drop off area outside pier 26, I removed our 2 bags, gave the licensed porter a $5 tip, and saw them loaded on a trolley.  Apex was the only ship serviced from this drop off site.  After muster and lunch, my wife's bag delivered to our balcony cabin, but my 21" Delsey did not arrive. Wasn't there pre dinner, so around 7:30PM we notified guest services, who accompanied me to the 2nd deck luggage holding area, but we could not find my bag.  I went to MDR dinner in my shorts and tee that I had been wearing on the drive to the port.

The next day I filled out and filed a preliminary report, the a second lost property detail account 24 hrs. later.  Guest services gave me two white tee shirts and a disposable toothbrush and razor.  I went to dinner that night in the same sox, briefs and shorts I wore when driving to the port, but with a new clean white tee. Still no sign of my lost bag.  For some reason, guest services kept asking me about what airline and airport we used to travel to the port, even though both missing property reports indicated that we drove.

On Tuesday evening, at our 1st port of San Juan, we were finally able to go shopping and get some replacement attire.  Marshall's had briefs, tees, polos, shorts, and sox, as well as a bathing suit, but no long 42" dress pants.  It took some searching, but we finally found one pair which cost as much as all our Marshall purchases put together.

I continued to get follow up reports from guest services, They did a full ship search again as well as had the port embarking station searched, but no bag.  I was not given any OBC or ship credit to use for buying attire in the ship's stores, nor any "goodwill" gestures like a comped specialty dining meal, but  I did receive a ticket to have 1 clothing item cleaned free of charge.  (as "elite" I get 1 bag of free laundry anyway).  GS continued to ask me about airlines and airport though.  On the last day, I was given an 800 # to call after arriving home.

That phone call led me to an on line claim form to be filled and filed.  Hopefully I hear a response sometime tomorrow.  We do have an annual travel insurance policy, and I'm guessing I'll get a final resolution from them, rather than Celebrity.

We have experienced perhaps 65 cruises, approx. 15 on Celebrity, but this was the 1st time we had luggage missing.  Anyone else have a similiar post pandemic issue?  Is my report typical?

I've been pretty active on Cruise Critic for many years and I can only recall one or two stories like yours where the luggage never made it to the stateroom after handing it off at the pier. It's extremely rare. I'm so sorry that it happened to you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Was on one cruise (different cruise line) where a friend of ours had a bag not get delivered to their room.  The next day the ship put out an announcement for anyone to check and see if it had gotten delivered to another room incorrectly.

Turns out it was delivered to a different room.  The people in the room recognized that it was not theirs, but instead of notifying their steward, they just shoved it under their bed out of the way.  The Steward for that room found it after the announcement for people to keep an eye out for it.

Edited by ldtr

6 hours ago, ldtr said:

Turns out it was delivered to a different room.

This was my thought - that it was delivered to the wrong room. You'd think people would notify their cabin steward that it's not theirs, but I guess some people are to wrapped up in themselves and their vacation.  I'd definitely see if there could be some kind of announcement about it - maybe then whoever's room it's in would realize it didn't just get on the ship by itself and actually belongs to someone.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ldtr said:

Turns out it was delivered to a different room.  The people in the room recognized that it was not theirs, but instead of notifying their steward, they just shoved it under their bed out of the way.  The Steward for that room found it after the announcement for people to keep an eye out for it.

Wow ...😒

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ldtr said:

Was on one cruise (different cruise line) where a friend of ours had a bag not get delivered to their room.  The next day the ship put out an announcement for anyone to check and see if it had gotten delivered to another room incorrectly.

Some people so dumb and selfish 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Too late to help…but always a good idea to cross pack in suitcases so at least each person would have some clothing.

We always cross pack, since we have seen others have one suitcase lost.  We also make sure we have enough to survive a couple of days in our carryon which I realize wouldn't have helped the OP since he can't handle the carry on.  I would worrry about things like medications etc.   I wonder does X have personnel to help people in these situations?  Maybe in the future that is the answer. 

We also were on a cruise where we kept getting notes in our room to look for a suitcase that was evidently sent to the wrong cabin.  The notes appeared until the next to last night so assuming they never got their suitcase.  

Idtr- Same thing happened to us on an RCI cruise. Except they didn't shove it under the bed. They just left it in the cabin. Second day with notice to all stewards to check every room for our bag, it was found and delivered to us. RCI had given us T-shirts, toothpaste and brush and $150 OBC to buy other stuff. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 39august said:

Idtr- Same thing happened to us on an RCI cruise. Except they didn't shove it under the bed. They just left it in the cabin. Second day with notice to all stewards to check every room for our bag, it was found and delivered to us. RCI had given us T-shirts, toothpaste and brush and $150 OBC to buy other stuff. 

Your story and the one about the mis-delivered suitcase being shoved under the bed is mind blowing to me.

• Like 2

Something similar happened to me about 15 years ago. We used a Celebrity transfer from the airport to the cruise port. I can't recall if it was MIA or FLL. No one's luggage from the transfer bus made it onto the ship--the ENTIRE bus. We wore what we had (pretty much what we had on our backs) until we shopped in San Juan for clothing and extra luggage. Our bags eventually showed up one by one at various port stops.

Post cruise, we submitted our expenses to Celebrity and were reimbursed. Our TA also got us FCC for the full amount of the cruise. I suspect that in these financial times, Celebrity might not be as generous.

We have packed differently ever since. In our case, cross-packing wouldn't have helped. Now, everything we'll need through at least day 2 gets carried on. We just assume our luggage won't arrive until the first port of call.