P&o shares

Vampiress88

11 hours ago, sandancer said:

Def a no brainer. Our shares are worth £200 more now

Our shares are worth £1000 less than when we bought them. 

Long term, the shares are a risky investment.  Your £200 profit only comes when you sell. In a year's time your shares could be worth £200 less.

So, only buy if you can afford to lose your investment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spike11 said:

Might be to do with WHEN you applied. Carnival have just extended the end point from July 2023 to July 2024 (they tend to do this once a year following the AGM in March/April). So until recently you could only apply for OBC for cruises departing in the next three months. However, you can now apply for OBC for cruises departing in the next 15 months - and that period will gradually reduce until next March/April.

That's not what the extension to July 2024 means, that is the annual AGM announcement that OBC will be available for cruises up to July 2024, it does not mean you can apply for it now, despite the fact that some seem to slip though the net.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Long term, the shares are a risky investment.  Your £200 profit only comes when you sell. In a year's time your shares could be worth £200 less.

We are also down on our investment but during the years we have more than made up for this in OBC and dividends. However, as you say, you shouldn’t dabble in shares unless you are prepared to lose on your investment. 

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

We bought them with our eyes wide open. Right now we are up but we are well aware that can change. In the meantime we will continue to enjoy the OBC. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

That's not what the extension to July 2024 means, that is the annual AGM announcement that OBC will be available for cruises up to July 2024, it does not mean you can apply for it now, despite the fact that some seem to slip though the net.

Well in that case, I seem to have been slipping through the net for years. Different named people in the shareholder benefits team have added shareholder OBC 12 or 15 months in advance with no problem for at least four years now. Just had it added for two cruises in 2024. Maybe I’m a VIP and didn’t realise it!

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

So now I may try and add it for our October cruise just to see what happens. 

Good luck. I’ve been looking back through Carnival Annual reports for mention of the 3 month restriction, but can’t find anything. Perhaps it was some rule P&O had. However, back in 2015 you could apply for the OBC no later than two weeks before the sail date. Then it went up to three weeks. For the latest annual report just out it now says no later than 4 weeks before sail date. 

Edited by Spike11

1 minute ago, Spike11 said:

Good luck. I’ve been looking back through Carnival Annual reports for mention of the 3 month restriction, but can’t find anything. Perhaps it was some fault P&O had. However, back in 2015 you could apply for the OBC no later than two weeks before the sail date. Then it went up to three weeks. For the latest annual report just out it now says no later than 4 weeks before sail date. 

The wording states to claim at least 3 weeks before departure and then further on no later than 4 weeks before sailing......

"Applications to receive these benefits should be made at least three weeks prior to cruise departure date"

"no later than 4 weeks prior to your sail date"

8 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

The wording states to claim at least 3 weeks before departure and then further on no later than 4 weeks before sailing......

"Applications to receive these benefits should be made at least three weeks prior to cruise departure date"

"no later than 4 weeks prior to your sail date"

Crystal clear then! Best to apply as soon as you can.

10 hours ago, sandancer said:

So now I may try and add it for our October cruise just to see what happens. 

A couple of weeks ago I applied for our December P&O cruise, and it was added on the next day with no issue.

The only time I've had it mentioned was on a Princess cruise booking. The email that came back was a little bit snotty, saying that usually they only apply them for cruises up to 90 days away, but that they'd done it this time. 

The next Princess cruise I did, it was literally done within 20 minutes (couldn't believe it!), and that was also more than 3 months in advance.

• Like 1

We were late to the party with buying shares; I became aware of the benefits just too late for our September cruise, but put it on my to do list. That list had loads of other stuff on it, so I didn't remember again until just before Christmas, which was too late for our cruise on 6th January. £300 in OBC missed over both cruises...Doh!🙄

We finally did something about it a couple of weeks ago and bought 100 shares for £638.

I emailed P&O the day after, a Saturday, and got confirmation first thing on the Monday that the OBC credit had been applied to our June and September cruises.

With two more cruises in the pipeline, we'll not be far off getting back our initial investment by September next year.

And it's all thanks to the sound advice on these forums.🙂

They're worth £70 more now, so I think I'll treat our lass to fish & chips this weekend; I'll even let her have mushy peas!😉

• Like 3

On 4/3/2023 at 7:42 PM, GSPG said:

Sorry, first I have heard of this.

Does this mean you can buy 100 shares and be eligible for extra OBC for EVERY cruise thereafter you take in future with P&O if you hold onto the shares?

Thanks

Yes and Shareholder benefit also applies to Princess Cruises.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scorpio41 said:

Yes and Shareholder benefit also applies to Princess Cruises.

It applies to all Carnival lines, even more beneficial on dollar currency lines with the current exchange rate. Usually there is a review of the OBC and the amount you get with P&O is realigned to the exchange rate which is long overdue.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

It applies to all Carnival lines, even more beneficial on dollar currency lines with the current exchange rate. Usually there is a review of the OBC and the amount you get with P&O is realigned to the exchange rate which is long overdue.

Yes I agree. Currently for a two week cruise it is $250 on dollar based ships (Cunard, Princess etc.) and £150 on sterling based ships which is only P&O. On current exchanged rates it should be around £200.

Brian

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BrianI said:

Yes I agree. Currently for a two week cruise it is $250 on dollar based ships (Cunard, Princess etc.) and £150 on sterling based ships which is only P&O. On current exchanged rates it should be around £200.

Brian

Or equally say that what alcohol you purchase on P&O at a cost of £150 would cost you $250 on Princess and Cunard.

Just as an addition to all of the above, depending the broker you buy your shares through may help when applying for OBC. My first broker I had to take a screen shot of my share certificate and email it to the relevant cruise company, my current broker I just send an email detailing cruise company, date and booking reference and they organise it all for me. So before you buy your shares check out how they deal with requests for OBC etc.

Edited by ovccruiser

On 4/4/2023 at 10:44 PM, wowzz said:

I'm planning to buy and keep for as long as I can cruise. I'm 54 so I'll guess if I'm still cruising when I'm 84 (fingers crossed I make that age) then I'm going to make a fortune in OBC

(I guess my risk is they change the OBC rules)

The price can't drop by  1k for me luckily as they are so cheap now

43 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

Just as an addition to all of the above, depending the broker you buy your shares through may help when applying for OBC. My first broker I had to take a screen shot of my share certificate and email it to the relevant cruise company, my current broker I just send an email detailing cruise company, date and booking reference and they organise it all for me. So before you buy your shares check out how they deal with requests for OBC etc.

Who's your current broker?

Are you allowed to introduce me on here? 

12 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We used at British based one, their initials are HL.  It was really easy to do online.  

We were happy with the price and, like you, we hopefully have a few years of cruising left in us, so they should pay for themselves many times over 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TigerB said:

We used at British based one, their initials are HL.  It was really easy to do online.  

We were happy with the price and, like you, we hopefully have a few years of cruising left in us, so they should pay for themselves many times over 

We use Redmayne Bentley , have done so since the crash of 2008  when we bought RCI shares for $6 !! 

That was another wise move 😆.  We cruise less with RCI now so sold them but had enjoyed countless cruises with OBC since 2008. 

Unfortunately RB are introducing an annual fee 😕.  Up until now all actions had been done for free , drop them an e.mail with sail date, booking ref etc and  they did the hard work . 😆 

16 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I used an online app Freetrade. N o transaction costs. Monthly statement shown in app. Just send pdf of statement to claim with no problems from P & O and Princess

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GSPG said:

Without much knowledge about shares, do these Carnival shares pay dividends as well?

Yes they did before the pandemic and maybe they will again. They were tax free for basic rate taxpayers. When last paid in 2020 it was about £39 per quarter for 100 shares.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Yes they did before the pandemic and maybe they will again. They were tax free for basic rate taxpayers. When last paid in 2020 it was about £39 per quarter for 100 shares.

Thanks davectter.

27 minutes ago, GSPG said:

Without much knowledge about shares, do these Carnival shares pay dividends as well?

The last dividend paid was 50cents per share paid on 13 March 2020. For UK investors this is converted to pounds for payment. Paid four times a year.

Dividends are unlikely to be paid before the large debt has been reduced.

Brian

• Like 2