New legal language from Celebrity?

chamima

12 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Looks much the same.  The biggest change is if you book showing a residence in say the EU, those rules stay in place even if your address changes to say USA 

This effects those in the UK for example that gave a USA address and booked with a USA TA.  They now are subject to USA rules that are less passenger friendly.

I think it might be an attempt to stop those who are not actually US residents from taking advantage of the more liberal repricing policies in the US.

UK residents have often been happy to be subject to the US T&Cs since they cannot reprice UK bookings when prices fall...

This change would make it pointless for non-US residents to use a US TA in most cases.

Edited by Mark_T

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

The changes are effective for bookings made today and after.  So my 4 existing bookings are not affected, I guess.

This part of the email I received would seem to suggest otherwise...

"Since you are currently booked on a voyage that departs on or after April 12, 2023, the new legal terms will apply to your cruise. No action is required on your part, but if you wish to view the changes that are now applicable to all guests booked on or after April 12, 2023, they’re available to you, here:"

They are using departure date, not booking date for the new changes...

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

The changes are effective for bookings made today and after.  So my 4 existing bookings are not affected, I guess.

The changes effect voyages that DEPART on or after April 12, 2023.

Since you are currently booked on a voyage that departs on or after April 12, 2023, the new legal terms will apply to your cruise

• Like 2

I haven’t read the entire new terms and conditions, and it is not clear to me, other than the COVID clauses, what major changes this document contains; however, I do find it interesting that they want us to click on a button in the email to confirm receipt of their message.   Does clicking on that button indicate that we agree with any changed terms?   I would think that the conditions in place when we booked should be upheld as they could, in effect, be making material changes to what we booked.

For example, if they snuck a clause into this document, buried deep within, that any beverage packages included when booking are now subject to increased charges, is clicking on the button implying that we agree with the new policy?   If that is the case, and if they were making a change in their policy that you did not agree to, it would seem to be that, if you have an existing booking and don’t agree with the change, you should be able to receive a full refund, without penalty.   Of course, I’m just playing devil’s advocate, but it does make me wonder what types of changes to the terms and conditions they could put through without our approval.   I assume somewhere in the terms and conditions, there is something that states they have the right to make changes to absolutely anything and we basically have to suck it up but I am curious what rights a passenger has when they make changes to their terms and conditions.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Not true, the new terms and conditions are not for bookings starting today, it’s for any cruise that is leaving after today.

I booked my upcoming Feb ‘24 cruise in July of ‘22 and it says my cruise is affected.

This is the wording from the email.

Since you are currently booked on a voyage that departs on or after April 12, 2023, the new legal terms will apply to your cruise. No action is required on your part, but if you wish to view the changes that are now applicable to all guests booked on or after April 12, 2023, they’re available to you, here:

16 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Today I have received the mail three times: 12:36, 1:58 and 2:15.
Will I receive an email for each cruise booked? 🙄

Probably.  I have gotten 2 addressed to DH and 2 to me, that civets the next 30 days. 

5 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Well being that I’m not a contract lawyer I have no idea what any of it means 

Fortunately, the UK terms are actually written in English...

(I looked out of curiosity.)

18 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

It looks like the contract changes strip away Florida's ability to regulate the cruise line.

Yup. 

Some Covid changes since the pandemic is over according to the President.   A big change in residence rules.  I did not find anything else significant.

Really doesn't matter as they are in effect and your choice would be to accept or cancel.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Yup. 

Some Covid changes since the pandemic is over according to the President.   A big change in residence rules.  I did not find anything else significant.

Really doesn't matter as they are in effect and your choice would be to accept or cancel.

Sorry, I was making a Reedy Creek joke.  I guess that one gets thrown in the trash.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

The guest terms refer to the "Carrier’s COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy" which is found on this page:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

This was last updated on April 4 and it applies to cruises departing now through May 31, 2023. It states that if you test positive within 5 days of the cruise, you and your traveling party are entitled to either a FCC or refund of the cruise fare.  I do believe they added language stating that the test must be verified/proctored in order to be acceptable to Celebrity.  I don't think they were that specific before.

The agreement is still present that if you test positive during the cruise, you are eligible for a FCC or pro-rated refund for the days spent in quarantine. However, they removed the additional assistance for additional transportation or land-based quarantine (I think this was actually removed last year).

39 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I think it might be an attempt to stop those who are not actually US residents from taking advantage of the more liberal repricing policies in the US.

UK residents have often been happy to be subject to the US T&Cs since they cannot reprice UK bookings when prices fall...

This change would make it pointless for non-US residents to use a US TA in most cases.

Damn annoying. I have booked on Millie for May '24 via a US T/A, because US cruisers get better pricing, more OBC, more flexibility etc. - USA passenger policies are MORE user friendly, not less.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I think that went away last May for all areas other than Europe.   I don't believe they have been paying expenses off the ship this Caribbean season, although I've not heard of anyone being put off for covid either.

They paid for my hotel and airfare differences for my cruise on the Equinox in October 2022 when I got Covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

I don't think so, it affects my October 2023 cruise on the Edge.  They sent me a note to confirm that I acknowledge the changes.   I wonder what happens if I don't acknowledge the change.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Damn annoying. I have booked on Millie for May '24 via a US T/A, because US cruisers get better pricing, more OBC, more flexibility etc. - USA passenger policies are MORE user friendly, not less.

More user friendly when making changes etc but less friendly if you have a dispute.

Basically it simplifies the system as your residency is now the address shown on your booking. Australian and NZ residents may not be happy as prices there are often considerably higher.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

From my email:

"Since you are currently booked on a voyage that departs on or after April 12, 2023, the new legal terms will apply to your cruise."

Section 10 in both the US and Canadian contract states:

“ALL DISPUTES… (INCLUDING A CLAIM FOR PERSONAL INJURY, ILLNESS OR DEATH OF A PASSENGER) SHALL BE LITIGATED… IN THE COURTS OF ENGLAND AND WALES, TO THE EXCLUSION OF ALL OTHER COURTS OR TRIBUNALS. PASSENGER HEREBY CONSENTS TO JURISDICTION AND WAIVES ANY VENUE OR OTHER OBJECTION THAT PASSENGER MAY HAVE TO ANY SUCH ACTION OR PROCEEDING BEING BROUGHT IN THE COURTS OF ENGLAND AND WALES.”

Anyone know why England?? Company registration??

33 minutes ago, Basketball wife said:

“ALL DISPUTES… (INCLUDING A CLAIM FOR PERSONAL INJURY, ILLNESS OR DEATH OF A PASSENGER) SHALL BE LITIGATED… IN THE COURTS OF ENGLAND AND WALES, TO THE EXCLUSION OF ALL OTHER COURTS OR TRIBUNALS. PASSENGER HEREBY CONSENTS TO JURISDICTION AND WAIVES ANY VENUE OR OTHER OBJECTION THAT PASSENGER MAY HAVE TO ANY SUCH ACTION OR PROCEEDING BEING BROUGHT IN THE COURTS OF ENGLAND AND WALES.”

If you scroll all the way to the bottom, paragraph 19, there are three "operators" of Celebrity Cruises. On in Miami, one in Cyprus, and one in England. I assume that's business registration; it's not ship's registry. 

36 minutes ago, Basketball wife said:

Not applicable to US cruises. Still Miami Dade. Section 10(b)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Not applicable to US cruises. Still Miami Dade. Section 10(b)

But it would apply to a US purchased cruise that does not include a US stop (Section 10(a) and the definitions).

2 hours ago, JeriGail said:

The changes effect voyages that DEPART on or after April 12, 2023.

Since you are currently booked on a voyage that departs on or after April 12, 2023, the new legal terms will apply to your cruise

We received the new terms in our e mail  today for our 2024 cruise.

.We will save to read through  before final payment date. Hope no issues crop up as any changes are usually  not in the customer's favor!!

The wording of their email is confusing...the first sentence implies the new rules apply based on departure date:

"Since you are currently booked on a voyage that departs on or after April 12, 2023, the new legal terms will apply to your cruise."

And the last line implies the new rules are based on the "booking" date:

"No action is required on your part, but if you wish to view the changes that are now applicable to all guests booked on or after April 12, 2023, they’re available to you, here:"

I am not impressed that Celebrity would change their Covid (Worry-Free) policy for our sailing that we booked 10 months ago.  We made our decision to cruise with them based on their Covid Worry-Free policy, and framed our travel insurance around it...yeesh! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Except if on a UK booking you miss anything you are compensated.  Understand the others are more restrictive.So did you give a UK address or US?