Medications?

uneamie

I did a search and could not find anything about this. How do you all take your medications and supplements on board? Do you have a pill organizer for them or do you bring their original bottles they came in? I don't remember how we did it on our last cruise and I don't know if there is a rule about it. I have sooo many pills I take daily and I keep them in a weekly organizer and that's what I want to take. I don't want my carry-on to go through the scarnner and they see all the pills and expect me to supply the original containers to prove the pills are not illegal. ugh! 2 pills are medications and the rest are  vitamins etc.  If I have to bring original containers then I will leave all the supplements home and just bring the 2 medications. 

Edited by uneamie

We bring in pill divider. Our meds are shipped to us in way too big of bottles and we take a lot of medicine.  It would take a small piece of luggage for all those bottles. Also put our daily supplements in a pill divider. Always in our carry on. 27 cruises and never an issue. 

• Like 1

I thought ahead and peeled the labels off of the old pill bottles last time got refills. I attached them (and those from my Bride's prescriptions) on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of card stock. I organize our pills in a pill box and keep the card in my carry on luggage in case there are any questions or I need to get an emergency refill.

• Like 3

We always keep the meds in our pill organizers and have had no issues in over two dozen cruises.  However, a good idea is to keep pictures on your phone of every label/prescription from original bottles.  This way you have a record should there be questions or if you were to need more of a medication due to a problem.

• Like 3

I've always taken mine in organizers, never an issue.  But it does depend on your destination.  More of an issue some places.

I've peeled the labels off of my bottles in the past but now just have a photo on my phone.

• Like 1

If your port of embarkation is international, you will need your original bottles. NCL doesn’t care but immigration for the country you are entering might. Better safe than sorry. If you are embarking from a port in the US, you won’t need your prescription bottles.

I know I should bring bottles but, for cruises leaving from the US I just bring my pill organizer for most of my meds.  That holds a two week supply so not a great chance of running out.  I do keep my sleeping pills in the original container because it's the only controlled substance I take and I don't use it every night.

If I need to go through a foreign Customs/Immigration checkpoint I bring all the bottles just to be safe but it's a PITA.

If we fly we bring in original bottles, if we fly international same but my pharmacy will also supply a readout for both of us so we have all information.

Open ended cruise example NY to Bermuda and back just my pill packs. I do put the tags that come on the bag with the pills in my bag in case I need anything.

Apart from thinking about the convenience of a pill organizer (I use one but not for cruising. For that I take meds in original bottles), consider how long it might take to identify your meds if you're in a medical emergency. Speaking as an experienced healthcare provider, nothing is as frustrating as trying to deal with emergent patient care AND figure out what meds they're on. It can make a huge difference in outcome. Just food for thought.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, uneamie said:

I did a search and could not find anything about this. How do you all take your medications and supplements on board? Do you have a pill organizer for them or do you bring their original bottles they came in? I don't remember how we did it on our last cruise and I don't know if there is a rule about it. I have sooo many pills I take daily and I keep them in a weekly organizer and that's what I want to take. I don't want my carry-on to go through the scarnner and they see all the pills and expect me to supply the original containers to prove the pills are not illegal. ugh! 2 pills are medications and the rest are  vitamins etc.  If I have to bring original containers then I will leave all the supplements home and just bring the 2 medications. 

We use pill minders, no original bottles. No prescriptions. We sail 6 times a year from US and European ports with no issues. 

Regardless of the illegality of cannabis in your state, it can not be brought onboard the ship in any forms. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We use pill minders, no original bottles. No prescriptions. We sail 6 times a year from US and European ports with no issues. 

Regardless of the illegality of cannabis in your state, it can not be brought onboard the ship in any forms. 

Thanks....I don't do cannabis. I just have 2 pescription meds and a ton of supplements. I guess I will just use my pill minder/organizer then. Thanks again. 

22 hours ago, uneamie said:

There are quite a few threads about this on the Disabled Travel thread of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

I've posted this next bit there a few times, but we ask our pharmacist for extra labels, and then attach them to mini ziplock bags, so the containers have proper, original Rx labels.

We know this can be done... because a few years ago, one of our regular prescriptions was handed to us by a pharmacist in a regular pharmacy just like this.  Bingo! 🙂

So just close the ziplock up, and they are relatively flat and don't take up all the room of those often mainly empty plastic bottles.

But it's crossing international borders that is the main concern.

So we always double check to make sure if there are any prohibited substances.  It's not always what one would expect.  In Japan, NO original formulation of Sudafed.  None.  Full stop.  Other items might need permission.  But with email, this is accomplished within 24 hours, so it's quite easy.

Our approach is:  Better Safe Than Sorry!

GC

• Like 2

Both my husband and myself take a large number of different prescribed medication on a daily basis (all original boxes/bottles would take up a significant space in a suitcase), and when on vacation (both cruises and land vacations) we just bring the medication in "pill-organizers" - but do however have all original prescriptions available online through the Norwegian health care authorities. We travel internationally several times every year, and it has never been a problem. When crossing international borders with larger numbers of medication, as far as I know you are obliged to either keep it in original bottles with your name on it OR be able to provide an original prescription in your name.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

There are quite a few threads about this on the Disabled Travel thread of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

I've posted this next bit there a few times, but we ask our pharmacist for extra labels, and then attach them to mini ziplock bags, so the containers have proper, original Rx labels.

We know this can be done... because a few years ago, one of our regular prescriptions was handed to us by a pharmacist in a regular pharmacy just like this.  Bingo! 🙂

So just close the ziplock up, and they are relatively flat and don't take up all the room of those often mainly empty plastic bottles.

But it's crossing international borders that is the main concern.

So we always double check to make sure if there are any prohibited substances.  It's not always what one would expect.  In Japan, NO original formulation of Sudafed.  None.  Full stop.  Other items might need permission.  But with email, this is accomplished within 24 hours, so it's quite easy.

Our approach is:  Better Safe Than Sorry!

GC

I love this idea, my husband has several different meds, so far I only have two others are OTC.

Thanks

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

I love this idea, my husband has several different meds, so far I only have two others are OTC.

Thanks

I should have added:  We *always* have copies of the actual scripts and in a couple of cases, a letter from our physician (on proper letterhead) stating that "<Patient> needs to take X for medical reasons" or such.  AND... there are copies of all of this in the cloud as backup.  This includes any country-specific permissions.

(Same as with certain travel docs: copies with us and in the cloud...)

We always keep the meds in a carry on, and one of us almost always has "hands on" that bag, or it's positioned between the legs of one of us, etc.  And... we have some back up supplies of the meds in the 'other' carryon bag, but that one isn't protected like the first (someone might think we've got the crown jewels inside!).  And for anything really critical (meaning a brief delay would cause harm or discomfort), there are small supplies in my purse and also in regular luggage.  That for the meds where, if we really lost them, we would probably need to go home, or at the least to a local hospital for temporary care, etc.

It was easier when we would just toss a few OTC meds into a bag, and not that many of each.

Heh, a lot of "things were easier" back then....  😉  

GC

• Like 2

I'm a fatty dumb diabetic (aka type 2, totally brought on by too many calzones) so take four meds. One stabby stabber, once a week and three pills. I put the pills all in one bottle and the stabby stabber is just put in my toiletry bag with the one bottle. That's always worked for me. This is the same way I travel when I'm not cruising. I've never had an issue. 

• Like 1

Pill organizer for me, too.  Been doing that for at least 20 years with no issues.

That said, I know of incidences where someone was stopped at a port (Galveston, NOLA) with medically prescribed weed.  I think one had gummies and the other had joints actually in the prescription container.  They had carry on luggage, so not sure if that matters or not.

Aside from TSA getting in a huff and confiscating their stash, they didn’t get in any legal trouble.  But, TSA made a point of detaining them so they would miss their flights.

• Like 1

Mini zip-top bags.

Write the drug name/dose and timing on the bag (Aspirin 81mg, Morning).

OR set up a bag for each dosage time, and pack them into a larger zip-top bag with a master list.

Easy-peasy to carry one little baggie with you when going ashore.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 11:10 PM, cruisinmeme said:

We bring in pill divider. Our meds are shipped to us in way too big of bottles and we take a lot of medicine.  It would take a small piece of luggage for all those bottles. Also put our daily supplements in a pill divider. Always in our carry on. 27 cruises and never an issue. 

Same for us, too many Rx bottles! We use those 7 day pill caddies plus a zip lock bag containing another weeks supply "just in case". Never had any issues. I did read somewhere that someone recommended taking a photo of the original Rx bottle label. That's probably a good idea, and I might start doing that. I already have a list of the meds I take, but not the Rx numbers, etc.

We can thank the folks who bring on "recreational" drugs for any added inconvenience. 😒

Doug