Solarium Family Hours Added

PinkT

Hi everyone, we are new celebrity cruises (but not new cruisers) with 2 cruises booked. Noticed today on the app that our 10 day Caribbean on the silhouette in January/feb has family hours added to the solarium hours for every day 5-7. This definitely wasn’t the case a few days ago. Don’t feel great about this as when we booked it was described as adults only. It means there’s no adult only pool areas in these times and I doubt folks will stick to the times allocated. Such a shame as we probably would have picked another line if this was advertised up front. It’s not like inclement weather if it’s already planned this far ahead. We’re heading to Europe this month on the edge with no mention of family hours there. 

• Like 4

It is rare to see children in the Solarium pool during the day.  On the one occasion, I went to the security agent on duty there and spoke with him.  He took care of the situation.  

The OP is correct in that the hours were not listed in the app but are clearly listed in the daily once onboard.

I think they are anticipating the upcoming Alaska season on millennium, when there will be more children.

Most families are very respectful of the hours posted. Yes there is the occasional scofflaw, but a word to security or an officer generally takes care of it quickly

Should you happen to see someone in violation of the rules, remember that the crew who are setting out towels and cleaning up the area are really not there to enforce the rules, but they can quickly summon someone who has the needed authority.

to the OP, in general, children and Celebrity are not a problem. And by 5 o’clock, most adults are off having their pre-dinner cocktails, or dressing for the evening, and the pool wouldn’t be in use for that time anyway. If that is your preferred time to swim, I wouldn’t really worry about children interfering with your enjoyment of the solarium

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies 😊 I feel a bit better now. It was just a shock to see it added in there suddenly. I’m not anti-children but I find it weird celebrity market it as an “adults only” area in all cruise info… apart from when they say so in the small print. 

For the January Caribbean cruise it’s on the app under ship view and then “activities”, select solarium pool and it has the hours and then family hours underneath. For our May cruise out of Barcelona it’s something totally different there it shows each days activities rather than individual pools so no idea about that one 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PinkT said:

Thanks everyone for your replies 😊 I feel a bit better now. It was just a shock to see it added in there suddenly. I’m not anti-children but I find it weird celebrity market it as an “adults only” area in all cruise info… apart from when they say so in the small print. 

For the January Caribbean cruise it’s on the app under ship view and then “activities”, select solarium pool and it has the hours and then family hours underneath. For our May cruise out of Barcelona it’s something totally different there it shows each days activities rather than individual pools so no idea about that one 

There have been at least two or more recent threads on this topic here on CC if you are interested.

Our last cruise on the Summit while at the solarium pool a group of kids got in for a few minutes ,

The lady ( celebrity crew member ) who was attending the solarium area went over and spoke to them and they left . We were glad to see the rules being enforced by the crew.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PinkT said:

The Celebrity App is generally either incorrect or blank until just before your cruise.  The actual activities are not inserted until about a week out.

They also change if it is either windy or rainy or cold.

Currently on Apex - 3 young children.  All pools closed as rough seas.  First 2 days kids were in the main pool.  Not sure why the Solarium would be desired for kids.

13 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The Celebrity App is generally either incorrect or blank until just before your cruise.  The actual activities are not inserted until about a week out.

They also change if it is either windy or rainy or cold.

Currently on Apex - 3 young children.  All pools closed as rough seas.  First 2 days kids were in the main pool.  Not sure why the Solarium would be desired for kids.

Typically, when there is inclement weather, they allow children into the solarium for a short period of time every day. Otherwise children probably wouldn’t be interested in being in there.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Typically, when there is inclement weather, they allow children into the solarium for a short period of time every day. Otherwise children probably wouldn’t be interested in being in there.  

Even when the weather is perfect, on Millennium in the Caribbean last month.

4 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Currently, 4-7 pm on the Millennium. There are only four children on board, so not sure why they even install the sign.

After talking to a lot of the parents of these kids, the majority aren't even regular passengers, rather children of the crew and their significant others

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was told by Celebrity last week (called them) that they are now allowing 13 year olds in the solarium pool if they have parental supervision.  No offense to parents of young teens who behave more like adults but young teens will likely behave like young teens even if a parent is sitting somewhere in the area.  They can't help it.  So, with this change plus the family swimming hours, I think the days of the Solarium being an adult space are over.  I also agree that Celebrity should make announcements when they change an advertised policy so customers are not misled.  They may not have to do so because of language in the cruise contract but it is sad they rely on the lowest possible standard to guide their decisions instead of behaving in a transparent way.       

• Like 6

I imagine Celebrity looks at the demographics of their passengers and realizes that there are a number of families that prefer the higher quality offerings of Celebrity as opposed to other mass market lines like RCL, NCL, Carnival, etc.  They often are working couples who have more disposable income to spend on Celebrity's offerings.  Celebrity has very good kids clubs so obviously they want to attract families.  I also think the vast majority of Celebrity families are very respectful of their fellow passengers.  Providing limited family hours when others are most likely drinking at Happy Hour or working out before dinner is not unreasonable.  The Solarium offers a unique experience that is not the same as the outdoor pool.  Unfortunately, there are sometimes adult passengers that behave more childishly than the children.  Respect is always a two way street.  There are numerous other cruise lines that have no childrens' facilities.  We are all free to choose.

• Like 8

I switched from RCL to Celebrity because of the number of kids on RCL and not enforcing no children in the Solarium.  They’re allowed in the other pools. Why can’t there be one area where they’re not allowed? 

• Like 5

I'm curious to know if the outdoor pools are heated?  I know my kids would have no problem swimming in a heated pool even in cooler, inclement weather.  What would be the advantage of swimming in the adults only pool? 

15 minutes ago, CNDKangaroo said:

I'm curious to know if the outdoor pools are heated?  I know my kids would have no problem swimming in a heated pool even in cooler, inclement weather.  What would be the advantage of swimming in the adults only pool? 

Does that include a cruise to Iceland?  There is a difference between cooler weather and freezing my tail off weather.  Where are they going to swim?

• Like 1

I think my biggest issue is that it’s still marketed as “adults only”. Even underneath family hours on the app it states the no under 16s policy so it’s just confused messaging. The fact this was added way after actually booking didn’t give me all the info up front. Obviously now from reading here it’s how it is. But if celebrity had just said up front this is a mixed use space we wouldn’t have booked as we like to spend some vacation time adults only. I’m sure we will have a great time still and if we experience things that don’t work for us we will just leave the space. If it is a huge issue for us then we don’t use celebrity again 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, PinkT said:

I think my biggest issue is that it’s still marketed as “adults only”. Even underneath family hours on the app it states the no under 16s policy so it’s just confused messaging. The fact this was added way after actually booking didn’t give me all the info up front. Obviously now from reading here it’s how it is. But if celebrity had just said up front this is a mixed use space we wouldn’t have booked as we like to spend some vacation time adults only. I’m sure we will have a great time still and if we experience things that don’t work for us we will just leave the space. If it is a huge issue for us then we don’t use celebrity again 

Do you honestly feel that families using the Solarium space for 2 hours a day outside of prime use hours will spoil your vacation?  Celebrity would not likely emphasize it as a mixed use space if it is adults only for 22 hours a day or even for 14 out of 16 hours a day assuming it is closed during night time.  That would be truly false advertising.  I understand your concerns but we have used Oceania and Viking when we prefer a kids free vacation in the past.  Not ready for Virgin Cruises but that is another choice.  However, I think you would probably have a great trip taking Celebrity even with the so called family hours in the Solarium.

• Like 3