How to find each other if you get separated on an excursion

Getting separated used to be a problem, but now that my husband's vision is more impaired, he sticks to me like glue during excursions.  If one of us has to peel off for some reason (like using the bathroom or taking more photos) then we both stop.  Fortunately, I have a good sense of directions and can always get us back on track.

19 hours ago, whogo said:

Why would two adults have to stay together on an excursion? Is one of them incapable of following the guide's instructions? Pretend you are two solo travelers and quit worrying about your spouse.

Spouse gets lost.  Tell her she is an adult and you shouldn't have to worry about her.   Maybe not the best  advice for a happy marriage.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Spouse gets lost.  Tell her she is an adult and you shouldn't have to worry about her.   Maybe not the best  advice for a happy marriage.  

You have to wonder how some widows/widowers survive.

2 hours ago, whogo said:

You have to wonder how some widows/widowers survive.

Something I hope I never have to experience.   I doubt I would do as well as many of our friends and family that have lost their mates.   

My whole family has the Verizon international travel plan on their phones, $10 a day for unlimited calling, texting and internet. If it’s not used, $0. But it’s nice to know it’s there automatically.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 7:10 PM, Turtle1948 said:

What is the best way to find your partner if you get separated on an excursion?  For example, we're in a crowded marketplace in India and we get separated and can't find each other.  Should we have walkie talkies or is something else better?  Please help! 

Errrr use your mobile phones?

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:18 PM, ldubs said:

Something I hope I never have to experience.   I doubt I would do as well as many of our friends and family that have lost their mates.   

The only recurring argument we have is which of us was the first to call “I GO FIRST”.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2023 at 8:47 AM, Turtle1948 said:

We don't want to bring our cell phones out on excursions because they might be stolen.  We're looking for a different solution.

You are worried about getting separated on an excursion. What about getting separated FROM the excursion? If getting separated while on an excursion is a big concern, at least one of you will be separated from the excursion—or it wouldn’t be a problem. You may not only need your phones to find each other, but to get back to the ship. The chance of having your phones stolen is so insignificant I would never leave it on the ship if I had any concern about getting separated.

• Like 3

On 5/5/2023 at 6:47 AM, Turtle1948 said:

We don't want to bring our cell phones out on excursions because they might be stolen.  We're looking for a different solution.

Then you are limiting your options. You could agree on a time that you will make your way back to the ship independently from each other and do that. Or when you arrive at a place that you might separate, you agree on a meeting spot where you will return at a specific time and set alarms on your watches to ensure you head back there on time.

I'm assuming that you are talking about independent unguided excursions off the ship. If it is a guided excursion, than you all should stick with the guide and for any unguided time, the guide should make clear when and where to meet back up.

• Like 2

When our daughters were younger, the very first thing we would tell them was “where” to go, if they, accidentally, got separated.  Most of the time, that location might be where “the helpers” can be found.  Examples - guest services on a cruise ship, front desk at a hotel, police/security booth at the public rail station.

Pick what makes sense to your family.

On 5/5/2023 at 9:47 AM, Turtle1948 said:

I can’t imagine deliberately not having a cellphone in a foreign country.

• Like 5

On 5/4/2023 at 8:41 PM, mjkacmom said:

My whole family has the Verizon international travel plan on their phones, $10 a day for unlimited calling, texting and internet. If it’s not used, $0. But it’s nice to know it’s there automatically.

That’s fine, so long as all of you make sure

to take your phones off “Airplane Mode” when you leave the ship, otherwise that won’t do you any good. It could possibly work if all of you are connected to a wifi hotspot, ashore…

On 5/5/2023 at 2:47 PM, Turtle1948 said:

Buy two cheap (possibly second hand) "dumb" phones and either put your SIM cards in them when you leave the ship, or get two cheap Pay As You Go (PAYG) SIM cards.  As you hope they will never need to be used, and then only to make a brief call or send a single SMS text, you don't need any fancy SIM plan.  Basic voice calls only.

In the UK, this sort of phone is available for less than the equivalent of US$10.image.thumb.png.96e73344e53e09c92a6166bcce8df180.png

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 7:47 AM, Turtle1948 said:

I would never go onshore without my mobile phone. If something happens - someone gets hurt, for example - that phone will be the lifeline. In my password keeper, I have our medical insurance and contact information, credit card info, passport details, etc. 

If you're concerned about a mobile phone being stolen, put it in an inside pocket or an under the clothes pack. 

And my husband & I have gotten separated more than a few times (I stop in a store, he keeps walking). We know to meet back at the bus. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your comments.  What I failed to mention is that we will be on a world cruise, stopping at 89 different locations, some very remote.  Because of this, we can't be sure that our cellphones will work so we're looking for an alternative.  We really like the idea of walkie talkies or something similar.  Would love your suggestions.

8 minutes ago, Turtle1948 said:

Thank you all for your comments.  What I failed to mention is that we will be on a world cruise, stopping at 89 different locations, some very remote.  Because of this, we can't be sure that our cellphones will work so we're looking for an alternative.  We really like the idea of walkie talkies or something similar.  Would love your suggestions.

As was pointed out earlier in the thread walkie talkies are illegal in some countries and also walkie talkies that are licensed for sale in the US and it's territories are not legal in most other countries.  Every country has their own rules. Radio frequencies are licensed for specific purposes so frequencies on US walkie talkies might br the police department of emergency serves radio frequency in Italy. A US walkie talkie is not legal in Europe and a European Walkie talkie is not legal in the US. Power output is also regulated. If your radio transmission interferes or you are caught at customs with an illegal radio you could be in a world of trouble. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Turtle1948 said:

There is a World Cruise board on CC.  Try posting there.

DON

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Turtle1948 said:

Thank you, Charles.  What would you suggest instead?

I would suggest a T-Mobile or Google Fi cell phone plan. They are relatively inexpensive and work in over 200 countries. Their plans are the best for frequent international travelers.

• Like 1