How to find each other if you get separated on an excursion

What is the best way to find your partner if you get separated on an excursion?  For example, we're in a crowded marketplace in India and we get separated and can't find each other.  Should we have walkie talkies or is something else better?  Please help! 

We decide  where to meet  if we get separated  or one of us stops  where we were last together  & the other searches

decide who  will be the searcher  before you leave the ship

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Turtle1948 said:

What is the best way to find your partner if you get separated on an excursion?  For example, we're in a crowded marketplace in India and we get separated and can't find each other.  Should we have walkie talkies or is something else better?  Please help! 

Most times the excursion guide has some sort of flag/umbrella/sign that's held up above head height.  Just head for that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turtle1948 said:

Should we have walkie talkies or is something else better?  Please help! 

Your cell phone. For heaven's sake don't take a US walkie talkie. You might end up in big trouble if you use it in another country. Those are licensed for use on US radio spectrum by the FCC in US states and territories. You might be interfering with EMS or police frequencies in another country. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mom says said:

Just stay with the group and don't wander off. If you are given free time by the excursion guide, you'll be given a meet up place and time. Go there.

First clause makes sense - just do not get separated.  Last clause - going to meet up place - would not be much help in OP’s “…crowded market place in India…”.  Anyone with experience of such a place would recognize the priority of making sure you do not get separated.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

First clause makes sense - just do not get separated.  Last clause - going to meet up place - would not be much help in OP’s “…crowded market place in India…”.  Anyone with experience of such a place would recognize the priority of making sure you do not get separated.

BTDT, got the t shirt. We had free time in a Mumbai market and we all managed to get back to the pre arranged meet up point at the appointed time, so I'm not sure why you think that would be difficult. Maybe for the directionally challenged? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

AirTags or tiles , each carry’s one.  EM

Those are not meant to track people. Also require cell phones. 

Cell phones have location built in. So if they have their phones with them and on a cell network they have a people finder. Both Apple and Android phones have location sharing that can be turned on. Of course the simple method with phones is they could text each other. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, Fishboy1947 said:

Would the Life 360 app work outside the US? Families use it to track their teenage drivers. Lets you know exactly where they are. I have heard about it but never used

Isn’t that for spying on kids? 

That app requires a cell phone. If they are using their phones they already have multiple ways to find their partner without that app. If they are going to be using their phone they can share their location several ways. The easiest thing to do though if they get separated is text each other. 

Edited by Charles4515

17 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

It is very easy to say don’t get separated.I tend to lose people I travel with.

Someone I travel with walks ahead really fast, does not pay attention and disappears. 

Edited by Charles4515

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

First clause makes sense - just do not get separated ...

That's a great idea, but sometimes -- in spite of our best intentions -- we get separated.  If you're talking about an adult couple, it's pretty easy to stick together, but if your group is larger or if you're also wrangling kids, it's harder.  

3 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

on shore excursions, I wear a bright red ball cap, and a very bright long sleeve shirt ( nylon tee shirt) for easier identification.  Helps stand out just a bit if I get separated.  

That's a useful tip!  

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

It is very easy to say don’t get separated.I tend to lose people I travel with.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Someone I travel with walks ahead really fast, does not pay attention and disappears. 

We tend to get side tracked all the time.   Because I'm tall, I'm usually easy to spot.  But really, having a meet up point is always a good idea.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We tend to get side tracked all the time.   Because I'm tall, I'm usually easy to spot.  But really, having a meet up point is always a good idea.   

I am 6’5.Being tall does not help me.However,when I was young I was the faster walker

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Sounds like my DW. Once she found me when I took a misstep going fast and trying to catch up to her. She turned around and found me as I screamed because I broke my left ankle. 😢😢

Why would two adults have to stay together on an excursion? Is one of them incapable of following the guide's instructions? Pretend you are two solo travelers and quit worrying about your spouse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whogo said:

Why would two adults have to stay together on an excursion? Is one of them incapable of following the guide's instructions? Pretend you are two solo travelers and quit worrying about your spouse.

For most cruisers, I'd agree. But have you seen some of the people on cruise ships?  Some still can't find their way around the ship on their own after a week. So, yes, there definitely are people who unfortunately need to have someone with them at all times. Or have a tracker on their person.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mom says said:

For most cruisers, I'd agree. But have you seen some of the people on cruise ships?  Some still can't find their way around the ship on their own after a week. So, yes, there definitely are people who unfortunately need to have someone with them at all times. Or have a tracker on their person.

Have you seen what they do in schools when they take young kids on a field trip - use a leash.

DON

• Like 1

Since the question is about your partner - i assume that it's not just another "adult" on the excursion that can make their way back to the meeting point. In a place like a busy marketplace, my DH and I don't get separated. Holding hands if needed to work out way through a crowded section. As long as both people are able to focus on not getting separated, it shouldn't be that difficult. If one person is prone to walking off without an explanation, that should be discussed ahead of the street. 

It's always good to have a plan in place because anything can happen. Establishing a meeting point (i.e. where the excursion transpo is parked) is prudent but even more so is establishing a time when one stops waiting and heads back to the ship. There is a lengthy post on here about a fellow that missed his ship because he got separated from the group and went to the meeting point. By the time he realized that no one else was coming he missed the ship because he waited too long. Turns out the rest of the group decided to bypass the meeting point and head back to the ship. Some excursions do allow you time to wander around on your own and it's these types of excursions where having a firm time to head back is important (and when seeing the port on your own).