Behind The Scenes Tour can now be booked online

shof515

The Behind The Scenes Tour can now be booked online before the cruise. It can be found under Onboard Entertainment and Activities page. For my future cruises, the cost of the tour is 129 dollars. the tour is on the last sea day with 2 time slots. Latitude and shore excursion credit does not apply

• Thanks 1

Do you get anything with that?  I’ve only done the ship tour on Princess, and it included quite a few photos, a really nice chef coat, and a plush robe.  Does NCL do anything like that, or is it just the tour?

Is there any info whats included in this tour?

I made one about 10 years ago on the german based cruise line AIDA. It was 85 Euros, but it included a cocktail,sparkling wine,some snacks, a behind the scenes DVD(19 Euros if bought regularly) and a photo with the captain on the bridge.

But if the NCL tour only includes the tour itself für the 129 USD then it is definitely too expensive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bomabound said:

Do you get anything with that?  I’ve only done the ship tour on Princess, and it included quite a few photos, a really nice chef coat, and a plush robe.  Does NCL do anything like that, or is it just the tour?

I took a paid Behind the Scenes Tour in April on the Epic. It included a group photo (used to be individual or with your family/friend photos). To be honest, I have no desire to get a photo with a group of strangers. Also included a tasting of a small chocolate. It included a talk with the stage manager, behind the scenes main stage tour, laundry, galley, freezer, engineer room, and the bridge. There were crew members at each stop. At the beginning it included a video of the overall history of Norwegian Cruise lines. The total time was a little over 2 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bomabound said:

It is actually a better tour than before and includes access to more areas than before. NCL stopped providing passengers access to the Bridge after the 2015 Paris terrorist attacks,,, In part, to prevent "accidental" photos of the bridge providing potential attackers a layout of bridge security. The tours have never included the engine control rooms (we have been in there on private tours in the past). 

It is better than the free Latitudes tours that include the Galley, Theater, Laundry, and Galley. 

Ever wonder what it’s like to be the Captain of a cruise ship or how those amazing theater shows we put on every night are orchestrated? If you’re somewhat curious of how a cruise line works, we’ll take you on an exciting behind-the-scenes tour of our crew working areas that you won’t soon forget. Start the journey with a presentation on the history, industry firsts and future of Norwegian Cruise Line and what it means to Cruise Like a Norwegian™. Visit the Main Galley, provisions and preparation areas and see what we’re cooking up for the day. Inside the Engine Control Room, you’ll learn about the technology and engineering that drives our vessels. In our (always busy) main laundry you’ll learn how countless amount of linen, towels and clothing are laundered and folded on every day. Go backstage in the theater and dressing rooms and for the grand finale up to the bridge to see where the ship is steered and controlled from.

• Like 1

Hi,

Being Sapphire this tour should be free but I am not able to book it online at 0 price.  I phoned NCL this morning and they suggested I phone my PCC for assistance as they should a fee only.  I left a message as he doesn't work on Sundays.

I do find it unfair that those of us, at least it seems, with Lat reward cannot book online and those willing to pay can.  Anyway, let you know what turns out after speaking to my PCC.

Take care, happytotravel

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

Hi,

Being Sapphire this tour should be free but I am not able to book it online at 0 price.  I phoned NCL this morning and they suggested I phone my PCC for assistance as they should a fee only.  I left a message as he doesn't work on Sundays.

I do find it unfair that those of us, at least it seems, with Lat reward cannot book online and those willing to pay can.  Anyway, let you know what turns out after speaking to my PCC.

Take care, happytotravel

I do remember reading another review that the free (latitude reward) behind the scenes tour is different, less stops and not as long. Maybe that's why it's not available to reserve ahead of time. Maybe it would be hard to figure out who reserved what tour ahead of time.

• Like 1

If a paid Behind the Scenes tour includes the engine control room and the bridge, in addition to the usual places (galley, theatre, laundry, etc.), I think it’s worth doing, at least once, if you have any interest at all in how a ship operates. Is it pricey? Yes, and not just on NCL.  The cruise lines have figured out another way to make money. I look at the cost as a shore excursion on a sea day. 😊

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

Hi,

Take care, happytotravel

The latitudes tour is a different thing and is arranged with the cruisenext staff onboard.

• Like 2

I'm currently Platinum, and appreciate the couple of meals/laundry etc. for what it is.  Don't see much benefit at all in progressing to Sapphire (Priority Restaurant & Entertainment Seating subject to availability and Dinner with Officers - don't see the attraction myself).  Given you get to Platinum at 75 points, and then have another 75 to get to Sapphire, they could try to make it somewhat worthwhile, and perhaps give the full behind the scenes tour on reaching Sapphire.  It's funny, Diamond and Ambassador are probably unattainable for most, but for those that do get there, there is f all extra given from the latitudes rewards of much consequence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, genealogyfan said:

I do remember reading another review that the free (latitude reward) behind the scenes tour is different, less stops and not as long. Maybe that's why it's not available to reserve ahead of time. Maybe it would be hard to figure out who reserved what tour ahead of time.

Hi,

What will they think of next?  I've done many ship tours in the past and find them fun to do.  I think the only folks who might pay are 1st time cruisers or someone who has never done it before.  Anyone else who has a Lat reward for it will just do the free tour.  The free tour is fine with me.

But, I don't see why they couldn't handle the two different tours online.

At any rate,  I will enjoy my cruise at the end of the month.

Take care, happytotravel

Edited by happytotravel
missed a letter in my name

3 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

My husband loves to do this tour but not at that price. Annoyed that discounts cannot be applied. 

The $50 excursion credit applies.  But apparently the latitudes discount does not.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

Hi,

What will they think of next?  I've done many ship tours in the past and find them fun to do.  I think the only folks who might pay are 1st time cruisers or someone who has never done it before.  Anyone else who has a Lat reward for it will just do the free tour.  The free tour is fine with me.

But, I don't see why they couldn't handle the two different tours online.

At any rate,  I will enjoy my cruise at the end of the month.

Take care, happytotravel

I'm a latitudes member and I signed up - I would like to see the engine room and the bridge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

I'm currently Platinum, and appreciate the couple of meals/laundry etc. for what it is.  Don't see much benefit at all in progressing to Sapphire (Priority Restaurant & Entertainment Seating subject to availability and Dinner with Officers - don't see the attraction myself). 

I agree with you (we just flipped to Sapphire).  I do like the additional 5% discount on Shorex.  That equates to actual $$$ in my pocket.  We'll see if that "priority seating" turns into anything meaningful, but I highly doubt it.  If anybody ever spots me having dinner with the officers, please pull me out of the game and walk me to the nearest bar.😎

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, happytotravel said:

Hi,

Take care, happytotravel

The Sapphire tour is run by Cruise Next. The paid tour is run by ShoreEx. The Sapphire tour is not the same as what you see online. The Sapphire tour is shorter and less involved than the paid tour - does not include provisioning, bridge, or engine control room.

When you embark, head to CruiseNext desk on embarkation day to sign up for the free tour, dinner with officers, and wines around the world wine tasting. Both will sell out. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I agree with you (we just flipped to Sapphire).  I do like the additional 5% discount on Shorex.  That equates to actual $$$ in my pocket.  We'll see if that "priority seating" turns into anything meaningful, but I highly doubt it.  If anybody ever spots me having dinner with the officers, please pull me out of the game and walk me to the nearest bar.😎

Actually, I had my first dinner on my last cruise.  A very knowledgeable CN manager so got some good information, plus the ability to try to plant a few improvement ideas.  But it is the luck of the draw.  And the wine flows freely for anybody who doesn't take the drink package!

25 minutes ago, julig22 said:

The $50 excursion credit applies.  But apparently the latitudes discount does not.

How did you get the shorex credit to apply. I just tried and went all the way to check out and it did not discount it by $50 at all. 

I have 3 cruises booked.  One asks $129 for the tour, one asks $99 and one says not available until 120 days before the cruise.  All 3 are further out than that.  Shorex discount does not apply.

2 minutes ago, redmomof4 said:

How did you get the shorex credit to apply. I just tried and went all the way to check out and it did not discount it by $50 at all. 

Maybe it didn't?  It charged me $89, which is less than people were posting, so I assumed that was the credit.  But now I realize that it wasn't a $50 discount...

Different prices for different ships?  I'm on the Sun.

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The Sapphire tour is run by Cruise Next. The paid tour is run by ShoreEx. The Sapphire tour is not the same as what you see online. The Sapphire tour is shorter and less involved than the paid tour - does not include provisioning, bridge, or engine control room.

When you embark, head to CruiseNext desk on embarkation day to sign up for the free tour, dinner with officers, and wines around the world wine tasting. Both will sell out. 

Or the "Platinum and up" tour !

9 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

I have 3 cruises booked.  One asks $129 for the tour, one asks $99 and one says not available until 120 days before the cruise.  All 3 are further out than that.  Shorex discount does not apply.

Yea, I just looked.  $89 on the Sun and Sky, $99 on the Jewel

My cruise on the Sky is 137 days out but available now.

Edited by julig22