REDICULOUS NCL Policy

NoobCroozer

23 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

What was there to be embarrassed about?  The fact he might have chosen to be embarrassed is 100% on him.

I was referring to the prospect of trying to buy something onboard and being told "sir, your card was declined." I would probably feel embarrassed if that happened to me.

2 hours ago, esimon said:

bob and robert are not the same person- ask my husband - that being said - they should have told you this before you got on board

If it is such a big deal, then they need to have a disclaimer when you add your credit card to the sign-in information that the card must be your legal name.  I would never have thought that my credit cards have to be in my full legal name.  Most of my credit cards have my middle initial, but some forms don't allow you to put a middle initial in.  I would be irate if they let me put my cruise on a credit card and then refused it once on the ship, a day or 2 into sailing, because it does not have my full legal name on it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

If it is such a big deal, then they need to have a disclaimer when you add your credit card to the sign-in information that the card must be your legal name.  I would never have thought that my credit cards have to be in my full legal name.  Most of my credit cards have my middle initial, but some forms don't allow you to put a middle initial in.  I would be irate if they let me put my cruise on a credit card and then refused it once on the ship, a day or 2 into sailing, because it does not have my full legal name on it.

My legal documents have my full middle name, my credit cards have my middle initial. NCL only shows my first and last name through no fault of my own, when I set up my account years ago they didn’t use middle name/ initials and I am not sure if they do now. Airlines also don’t use my middle name/ initial and I just flew to Las Vegas and it wasn’t an issue with security. 

It  will be interesting to see what happens on my next cruise. Last May I had no issues with anything while cruising as far as my name.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RRSeeker said:

My legal documents have my full middle name, my credit cards have my middle initial. NCL only shows my first and last name through no fault of my own, when I set up my account years ago they didn’t use middle name/ initials and I am not sure if they do now. Airlines also don’t use my middle name/ initial and I just flew to Las Vegas and it wasn’t an issue with security. 

It  will be interesting to see what happens on my next cruise. Last May I had no issues with anything while cruising as far as my name.

My passport has middle name, NCL profile only has first and last. all my credit cards have only first and last name-

Key card on Prima two weeks ago had first and middle, I presume to match passport-

6 minutes ago, RRSeeker said:

Yes, I was fine last February, but who knows what the next time will hold.

4 minutes ago, ngrund said:

My passport has middle name, NCL profile only has first and last. all my credit cards have only first and last name-

Key card on Prima two weeks ago had first and middle, I presume to match passport-

change that-card only had first and last, but my middle was in their computer system because when I played in a poker tournament they originally listed only my middle name

I added our middle names to NCL's system with an agent over the phone last year.  She asked me if I wanted to.  Now, everything from NCL shows our full names that match our passports.  I like that.  After this thread, I'm likely going to ensure that our full middle names are included on any future credit cards.  I don't think this is a static landscape, so I'll try to keep ahead of the curve.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

This seems crazy, a lot of folks might only have one credit card logged against their stateroom to cover multiple guests like their partner or kids. Are they now going to decline everyone’s card except the keycard of the person whose name matches? 

I work in retail and my company card got blocked a couple of weeks ago because I hadn’t responded to an authorisation query that I never received! Since it was unblocked I’ve had messages twice to authorise the original charge that triggered the query in the first place and despite saying it was okay it still hasn’t gone through.  What’s truly nuts is that there is an authorisation mechanism built into the banking app which is what I usually get notified through and never have any issues with. But this one charge is triggering a text message alert but nothing in the app. 🤯
I’ve seen one fun quirk with customers using Revolut for apple or android pay, our card machine tells them they are in location A, but our WiFi tells their device they are in location B so the mismatch causes a card declined, the fix… turn off the WiFi on your phone.  (Our broadband provider doesn’t program their routers with the location they’re actually installed at, instead it’s some random location in Ireland). 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, libtrek said:

I have a two word first name, Mary Lou. It has been a pain for 70+ years. That said, my first and last names are always the same. It’s that darn second name. Sometimes put as first name, sometimes in full as middle name, sometimes an initial. It does seem to be more of a problem lately. Passport and divers license are correctly 2 word first, no middle. Thanks, Mom. NCL has it the “correct” way. Crossing fingers no problems.

If you read my previous post (#4), you know I feel your pain.

It as only been in about the last fifteen years that I have problems with only Mary showing on records.  I think it is because computers can not handle there being a space between the two names in the double first name.

There is also the know-it-all who informs that me that Mary is my first name, the second name is my middle name. That argument is usually resolved by asking their first name and then promptly calling them by a similar name (example, Allison for Alicia).  When they correct me, I tell them they only think their name is "X," I have decided it is "Y."

When they insist it is "X," I  ask them why they think I don't know my name (repeat my name with the statement it is a double first name) when I have had the name since birth.

• Haha 1

I’ve just had a scary thought, I’ve been using one of my cards to make excursion payments for a friend so I hope when we get to check-in that the system won’t have a meltdown when she finally puts her own card details in.  She’s not particularly techie and this is her first cruise so I’ve been handling everything for her. 

Our recent cruise was booked in my name, the credit card was in my husband's name. No problems. I failed to add the card (NCL CC) to the account for my 3rd passenger before the cruise. We get to check in and the lady STILL forgets to add the card to the 3rd person, my daughter. She said, just go do it before the last day. On the last day I go and tell her to put the 3rd person's charges on the same card for the whole room.  Ahhhh NO, can't do that Miss. You'll need the card... Which is with my husband somewhere on the ship. I said, ok, no problem... You can figure out how to charge her then, I guess mail her a bill!  Hahaha

My conceige brought me the bill later and low and behold all her charges were on my husband's card!  

So totally opposite from OPs experience.  That's crazy.

• Haha 2

This just sounds odd.

My cruise is always booked in my full name (not real name), Mary Jane Smith but my credit cards all say either Mrs MJ Smith or just M Smith amd I've never had a problem. 

I use a card saying M Smith on the Jade last week with no issues.

Edited by cassie55
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

So you opened a bank account in someone else's name...

No, my father did; I was 15yo at the time & couldn't LEGALLY open anything...lol

Anyway, my Dad was just ahead of his time.  After all, Wells Fargo just got fined 1billion  USD or so for opening THOUSANDS of bogus bank accounts.

So, my passport has my full middle name. The credit card that I paid final payment has just my first and last names. The credit card I paid the initial deposit and will probably use on the ship has first name, middle initial, and last name. Will I have a problem?

19 hours ago, libtrek said:

I have a two word first name, Mary Lou. It has been a pain for 70+ years. That said, my first and last names are always the same. It’s that darn second name. Sometimes put as first name, sometimes in full as middle name, sometimes an initial. It does seem to be more of a problem lately. Passport and divers license are correctly 2 word first, no middle. Thanks, Mom. NCL has it the “correct” way. Crossing fingers no problems.

I totally feel your pain, my first name is Anne Marie, I have no middle name.  It causes so much confusion.  When we refinanced our house I had to sign my name about 20 different ways because the documents listed all the ways my name had been listed legally.  I made sure that our kids had middle names when they were born so they didn't go through this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I was referring to the prospect of trying to buy something onboard and being told "sir, your card was declined." I would probably feel embarrassed if that happened to me.

I do not care a bit about what others think or why they might be eavesdropping on mu conversation.  I'd just go get the issue taken care of and move on.  Then again I am not an overly sensitive person.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, complawyer said:

the only possible excuse was that there happened to be another "john Doe" that could have been confused with "john doe jr". absent that possibility, i still maintain, ncl ahs no excuse

Not hardly.  BTW NCL doe snot need am 'excuse'.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

As long as i know that i am below the limit of my CC i wouldn`t be embarassed at all cause i know the mistake must be on cruise lines side.

I can understand that NCL/ CC companies are very strict, so the first time it happens i can understand NCL:

But when solving the problem at guest services this should have been solved completely. NCL should have informed him how the CC has to look like to be accepted.

3 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

As long as i know that i am below the limit of my CC i wouldn`t be embarassed at all cause i know the mistake must be on cruise lines side.

I can understand that NCL/ CC companies are very strict, so the first time it happens i can understand NCL:

But when solving the problem at guest services this should have been solved completely. NCL should have informed him how the CC has to look like to be accepted.

I will say my Citicard was denied several times if I didn’t notify them I was traveling. I learned to always put a travel notice on my cards after that. Embarrassing, yes but easy to fix since they text me every time I was denied I could always respond “yes” to the text and have the person run the charge again.

If I didn’t have cell service that would be an issue.  Never hurts to put a travel notice on your account just in case.

On 5/23/2023 at 1:50 PM, libtrek said:

Same with hyphenation. I'm "Smith-Jones". Just today I was confirming flights for a cruise, one two different airlines and they each had it set up differently. Either "Smith-Jones," "Smithjones," or "Smith Jones". But I had to try multiple times on each site to figure out the right one to get logged in. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 5:14 PM, FLAHAM said:

Something wrong here.  I have cruised on NCL many times, checking in with my full passport name and using a credit card with my abbreviated name.  Never a problem.

Nothing wrong on this end. Happened exactly as stated. I've cruised multiple times, one other with NCL and did everything the same as I always have, and never had this issue.

• Like 1