Sandals for the ladies in the MDR???

Mr. Click

I seem to recall that there was a time when Celebrity was asking for/demanding closed toe shoes for the MDR.   I know they are needed for events on the helipad but tge MDR??  Is it true or is my foggy old brain playing tricks??

Your mind is playing tricks. I’ve never worn closed toe shoes in any of the dining room. Always sandals of varying styles. Well, actually, I suppose on our Alaska cruise I may have worn my runners to breakfast before leaving the ship. Def wasn’t a mandatory thing tho! 

Edited by Barwick Cruiser
  • Like 2

I don't recall the MDR. There was a long thread a few years back where someone was turned away from the Elite Happy Hour for wearing some form of sandal. As I recall it was a heeled sandal with a thong toe. And a lively debate on CC...

My wife wears some form of sandal most nights and has never had an issue. I think what you're probably recalling is the "flip flop" debate and whether, for instance, a leather flat sandal without a heel strap is a flip flop. (For the record, I say no, and I don't recall if I was in the minority on that. Celebrity bans something they don't define and where people don't agree on the definition.)

I was amused to see a statement on our dailies last week (Eclipse to Alaska) which stated that flip-flops (among other attire) are not allowed in any of the dining venues. I can see them disallowing the cheap plastic ones that are basically shower shoes, but I have worn dressy flip flops in basically every dining venue on the ship, including Murano. I have a feeling it has a lot more to do with the overall attire of the flip-flop wearer than the flip-flop itself! 🤣

• Like 4

I think you may be remembering the kitten-heeled thong dispute. I’ve been sailing with Celebrity since 2006, and I’ve almost always worn open toe shoes or sandals to dinner. I have been required to wear closed toe shoes/sandals only for sail away on the helipad and for the Inside Access: Behind-the-Scenes Ship Tour. On those occasions, I’ve worn trainers or closed toe amphibious sandals (which also have heel straps).

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Ah yes, I remember that debate.

I believe the upshot was don’t wear the rubber beach/pool flip flops to dinner.

I’m my day, not that I’m that old, that version of footwear was referred to as thongs. My how times have changed! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, markeb said:

I don't recall the MDR. There was a long thread a few years back where someone was turned away from the Elite Happy Hour for wearing some form of sandal. As I recall it was a heeled sandal with a thong toe. And a lively debate on CC...

Yes!  That’s what I remember too. It wasn’t the dining room.   

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I’m my day, not that I’m that old, that version of footwear was referred to as thongs. My how times have changed! 

I think they would frown on wearing the new meaning of thongs in the dining room.  I did see a gentleman wearing shorts in Blu at dinner on a recent cruise.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, markeb said:

My wife wears some form of sandal most nights and has never had an issue. I think what you're probably recalling is the "flip flop" debate and whether, for instance, a leather flat sandal without a heel strap is a flip flop. (For the record, I say no, and I don't recall if I was in the minority on that. Celebrity bans something they don't define and where people don't agree on the definition.)

Thanks.  That seems to ring a bell.  I could not understand why they would make an issue of it for the HH when it is in the Sky Lounge..well was.

10 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Started wearing flip flops (as they were called then and still are) in approximately 1958. They were the rubber "beach" flip flop.

A thong was/is a form of underwear.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

Started wearing flip flops (as they were called then and still are) in approximately 1958.

Where I came from they were called thongs or shower shoes (back in the 70's).  I am well aware of thong underwear...I feel quite certain it was not available in 1958 but I'm not that old so will take your word for it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Where I came from they were called thongs or shower shoes (back in the 70's).  I am well aware of thong underwear...I feel quite certain it was not available in 1958 but I'm not that old so will take your word for it.

They have been around for a very long time.

Thong underwear was a specialty form of underwear available for certain "dancing" styles and allowed the wearer to meet local laws regarding coverage when performing. They are also known as a G string.

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

They have been around for a very long time.

Thong underwear was a specialty form of underwear available for certain "dancing" styles and allowed the wearer to meet local laws regarding coverage when performing. They are also known as a G string.

Here's a 'brief' history (no pun intended)...it seems we are both correct...not that I doubted you.  I do love learning something new every day..😄

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/124436/when-did-the-term-flip-flop-displace-the-term-thong-in-north-america-for-a-t#:~:text=It was from the early,covering over the derrière area.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Started wearing flip flops (as they were called then and still are) in approximately 1958. They were the rubber "beach" flip flop.

A thong was/is a form of underwear.

On our recent cruise on the Edge there was this 32 yr old wearing a thong ( or whatever you call it ) at the pool.

I " hardly " looked , but, I noticed some other men staring, then , discussing (I assume ) whether the " old fart " on the lounge beside her was her -------Grandfather ( ??? ).

I'll bet he is because every time she got up to go " somewhere " she gave him a kiss.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Here's a 'brief' history (no pun intended)...it seems we are both correct...not that I doubted you.  I do love learning something new every day..😄

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/124436/when-did-the-term-flip-flop-displace-the-term-thong-in-north-america-for-a-t#:~:text=It was from the early,covering over the derrière area.

Like some many things on the internet, this is inaccurate.

I grew up in the metropolitan NYC area and I can assure you flip flops were called flip flops back in the 50s, 60s, etc.  The word throng was not used for the plastic beach flip flops.

A pair of flip flops at John's Bargain stores (chain in the Northeast and Midwest) were ten cents a pair in the fifties and it was a rite of summer to buy  a pair for summer. Of course, we were barefooted most of the time so the flip flop didn't get much use. 

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

On our recent cruise on the Edge there was this 32 yr old wearing a thong ( or whatever you call it ) at the pool.

I " hardly " looked , but, I noticed some other men staring, then , discussing (I assume ) whether the " old fart " on the lounge beside her was her -------Grandfather ( ??? ).

I'll bet he is because every time she got up to go " somewhere " she gave him a kiss.

My favorite with is when you see the girl walking by and there are 3 or 4 guys who put on their sunglasses…They think they’re being discrete but they make it more obvious 

16 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Ah yes, I remember that debate.

I believe the upshot was don’t wear the rubber beach/pool flip flops to dinner.

Yep.  Might step on a pop top.  😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The word throng was not used for the plastic beach flip flops.

Tell that to the kids on my street in po-dunk Georgia.  I lived it.  We called them thongs.  Maybe not as sophisticated as NYC, but my experience none-the-less...unless you just want to argue that I dreamt it all.  At any rate, I'm done with this line of conversation as it is really very irrelevant to just about everything on planet Earth...perhaps even the entire galaxy...☺️

Cheers

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

I seem to recall that there was a time when Celebrity was asking for/demanding closed toe shoes for the MDR.   I know they are needed for events on the helipad but tge MDR??  Is it true or is my foggy old brain playing tricks??

Perfectly acceptable for the MDR.

18 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Tell that to the kids on my street in po-dunk Georgia.  I lived it.  We called them thongs.  Maybe not as sophisticated as NYC, but my experience none-the-less...unless you just want to argue that I dreamt it all.  At any rate, I'm done with this line of conversation as it is really very irrelevant to just about everything on planet Earth...perhaps even the entire galaxy...☺️

Cheers

They were thongs in Oklahoma, too. I don't remember when they became flip flops. Agree it's not real relevant to the original question or the grand scheme of the world. 🙂

• Like 3