Favorite food item on HAL

m921759

I have only sailed a total of 22 days, but here's my list so far:

1.  Indian breakfast in the MDR

2.  The salad bar on Lido

3.  The Dive-In (occasional treat, not as greasy as Guy's Burger or Johnny Rockets)

4.  Sole fish in MDR

5.  Lobster Bisk in Pinnacle Grill

6.  Tamarind in general

• Like 3

On 7/19/2023 at 4:51 PM, alwaysfrantic said:

Every place there uses Old Bay 🥴 Or at least it seems that way.  

do they use it onboard?

I recall seeing it on the Volendam Grand South America, I can't remember what station it was located.  If available either the server in Lido or your Lido waiter can find some for you.  That being said we always bring our Frank's Hot sauce onboard.  

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 8:41 AM, syesmar said:

Back when HAL gave recipe cards out at Cooking Demonstrations, I never threw any away so I have enough for a good-sized cookbook. I do not have the recipe for their Tamale Cake appetizer, though. Does anyone have it? I always enjoyed that dish.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:09 PM, albingirl said:

Oh, remember the recipe cards from the cooking demos. So much fun! Loved all that humor too! I saved them too...too precious to toss. Remember Amanda, the hostess? We would share a blue moon later on. She was very talented and  it was a loss when HAL discontinued those cooking show!

They are still doing the cooking demonstrations in various formats.  My sister went to the pea soup (Snert) demo in October and gave me the recipe card.  If I recall correctly, it was done by the Captain and they gave out his personal recipe.  I’ll have to check the card to confirm, though.

I used to love the deconstructed raspberry cheesecake from the Pinnacle Grill but it’s no longer on the menu.  Very sad about that.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

I recall seeing it on the Volendam Grand South America, I can't remember what station it was located.  If available either the server in Lido or your Lido waiter can find some for you.  That being said we always bring our Frank's Hot sauce onboard.  

Oh I’m trying to avoid Old Bay.  Allergic to an ingredient in the blend.   I hope the HAL crab cakes do not use it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

Oh I’m trying to avoid Old Bay.  Allergic to an ingredient in the blend.   I hope the HAL crab cakes do not use it. 

I searched my HAL recipe collection (2400+ thanks to Chef Krieger) and found that Old Bay is not included in any of them.  The crab cakes recipes include the following flavorings:  cayenne, Grey Poupon. dry mustard powder, lemon juice, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and mayo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

I searched my HAL recipe collection (2400+ thanks to Chef Krieger) and found that Old Bay is not included in any of them.  The crab cakes recipes include the following flavorings:  cayenne, Grey Poupon. dry mustard powder, lemon juice, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and mayo.

Incredible.  Thank you so much!!! 

If you want to start an argument among a certain segment of Marylanders, ask if they prefer Old Bay or J&O seasoning in their crab cakes.  Old Bay’s market has expanded greatly, but J&O is somewhat a “still within the Beltway” area.  There is a taste difference, but both are good.  Regarding the crab cake recipe provided by Chef Kreiger, as my Mom would say, “Every good crab cake must have parsley!”  (Other than that omission, I would say the recipe should provide a decent crab cake.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2023 at 8:50 PM, BetsyS. said:

loveandpeas - The new Canaletto menu starts on 7/29. 

One of the new items will be herb and parmesan crusted chicken breast.

Yeah, but they subtracted the carpaccio.  Not a good trade-off (for me, anyway).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, alwaysfrantic said:

I doubt it - they are incredibly bland

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

If you want to start an argument among a certain segment of Marylanders, ask if they prefer Old Bay or J&O seasoning in their crab cakes.  Old Bay’s market has expanded greatly, but J&O is somewhat a “still within the Beltway” area.  There is a taste difference, but both are good.  Regarding the crab cake recipe provided by Chef Kreiger, as my Mom would say, “Every good crab cake must have parsley!”  (Other than that omission, I would say the recipe should provide a decent crab cake.)

Since Old Bay was the subject, I only included those items creating a similar flavor.  Add the following to complete the recipe:  chopped parsley, finely diced celery, finely diced onion, diced red bell pepper, finely diced carrot, Dungeness Crab, beaten eggs, minced green onion, minced garlic, and Panko bread crumbs.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 9:24 AM, VMax1700 said:

That is HAL Bread Pudding served at lunchtime in Lido.

In fairness to the OP, I was thinking it was a pasta dish.

Have I mentioned that this thread is making me hungry? December can't come soon enough!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AV8rix said:

Yeah, but they subtracted the carpaccio.  Not a good trade-off (for me, anyway).

I think you will find it harder and harder to find raw beef dishes like carpaccio and tartar. There are many dangers of contamination. Enjoy tge dish while you can. 

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think you will find it harder and harder to find raw beef dishes like carpaccio and tartar. There are many dangers of contamination. Enjoy tge dish while you can. 

Thanks.  Been lucky, I guess.  Now in my 80s, have decades of eating tartare, carpaccio and sashimi but have never (so far) ingested contaminated samples.  FWIW, before a mid-life career change into aero engineering I was a clinical microbiologist.  So perhaps constant exposure to those pathogens for 17 years conferred immunity on me 😉.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, horseymike said:

Being we are discussing food ( my personal favorite ) , does  HAL serve roasted turkey 🦃 on a regular basis. ?

Yes, and it's pretty good. Not as good as you would make at home, but it sure beats the cleaning up at home. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I am not a fish fan and never order it but Dover Sole at Rudis is the exception. The foie gras there  is divine as well 

i used to love the truffle fries with garlic aioli at Pinnacle dinner but they discontinued that. Occasionally they are willing to special make it upon request. 

Best holiday treat is the panettone (tender white bread studded with dried fruits) served Christmas Eve in MDR and in Lido on Christmas morning. When you get it freshly bakes, YUM. 

p.s. there are now many crab seasonings out there but as a life long Marylander, nothing beats Old Bay. My nephew takes it everywhere with him, including to put on fresh Thrashers fries on the boardwalk. He brings a smile to others by sharing with strangers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

Yes, and it's pretty good. Not as good as you would make at home, but it sure beats the cleaning up at home. 

They had Rudi's Special Roasted Duck for Christmas Eve in the Konigsdam MDR, with special Austrian side dishes - very delicious. Then they ran out of duck at Rudi's Sel de Mer on a later visit Not sure they could have topped that MDR version anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Craven plagerists... those are Danish abelschievers. 

Holiday tradition in our family , daughter-in-laws are already fighting over my mom's cast iron pan Haha , but with one that size I would finialy be able to keep up with the whole family 

• Haha 1