Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

1 hour ago, tothemall&beyond said:

Nope. No more free items for Standard fare. It's prix fixe @ $14.99 for the 3-course meal or a la carte for everything else. It literally says so. The addition of new three-course, pre-fixed menus gives Plus and Premier guests more food options than ever before without any extra charges. For those who prefer sailing on Princess Standard, the casual prix fixe dining will be $14.99 and individual selections will continue with a la carte pricing.

As far as Alfredos goes, it still (at the moment) is not described on the Princess website as having an additional charge, while Sabatinis for example is clearly described as specialty dining and "additional charges apply." We love Alfredos (and the fact that it is free) so much that we always choose  a ship that has one. Not happy that our upcoming cruise on the Royal will be subject to new charges after we booked. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

I don’t know if this is a stupid question. Can you just go up to the bar and order a drink? Or is everything done via apps now? I have no idea why I would want to order a coffee on an app then wait whilst someone tries to find me, by which time it’s probably cold.

Not a stupid question.  We either order our drinks directly from a bar or a server.  We've cruised 7 times since the restart and not once have we felt it necessary to use Ocean Now.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Of course it’s all about profits .. it is a business, after all.  
As for Alfredo’s, the only ship that I know that only serves pizza and calzones is on the Grand.  The Alfredo’s on the Royal has just as many options as GiGis does on the Discovery.  

Sapphire too..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cali-croozer said:

I don't think they care. It's not about getting our $14.99. It's about getting us to buy a package.  Many do so, again, they don't care about us standard fare folk.

This doesn't only affect standard fare folk, some of us bought plus and premier late last year and we don't get any of the new stuff despite buying the package. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Of course the webinar kept mentioning ordering room service "on the phone". I can't imagine using such a clunky method when it's so simple to do on the TV. One gets the feeling that these PR folks don't really cruise on Princess ships.

true - unless you are in - nevermind

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Where are you getting this idea?  The packages are flat-rate and inclusive of applicable gratuities.  Otherwise, the price goes up and they would continue to use an even number.  I think you are confusing the standalone drink packages.

Thanks…my mistake & that was the prices for the Plus & Premier drink packages shown in my Cruise Personalizer…sorry. 

Why would anyone buy the more expensive drink package versions & not the cheaper complete package which includes the drink package…what am I missing?

image.thumb.png.1735f5d103457a656a8769fe00aaf2fb.png

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

So are there no waiters wandering around to take orders at the venues any more?. Sorry if I sound ignorant but haven’t cruised with Princess for over 10 years.

It is so easy to order at a bar or through waitstaff

• Like 3

this is disappointing.

one thing i liked about cruising is i didn't have to make a bunch of decisions.  they are seeming to do away with that and having all kinds of micro charges.  i always referred to cruise as vacation in a box, i didn't have to think much, i bought and paid upfront and then pretty much everything was included except drinks.  now if you don't choose a level of all included package, then you have to think about the drip of cost creep with each micro charge.  it isn't that the fees themselves are outrageous, it is that he concept of cruising is changing that irks me

they don't offer levels of the package that avoid the drink packages.  they include things not everyone wants like picture packages, exercise classes, ridiculous desserts.  they haven't managed to make a package level that interests me, so i'll either do ith out or just pay the individual surcharge.  but then i'll be annoyed by th surcharge cost creep.

i'm not sure i'm going to stop cruising, but it wil make me give other lines an eye, although i suspect this happens over there as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

They still walk around. However up by the pool area it's not quite like that like I'm the old days. There seems to be fewer servers taking drink orders up by there.  No worries these are not silly questions. You're fine 😊

Not real hard to walk up to the bar

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mr Sea Gull said:

This doesn't only affect standard fare folk, some of us bought plus and premier late last year and we don't get any of the new stuff despite buying the package. 

Yeah, that's not right since the price has not increased. 

1 minute ago, vampiress said:

this is disappointing.

one thing i liked about cruising is i didn't have to make a bunch of decisions.  they are seeming to do away with that and having all kinds of micro charges.  i always referred to cruise as vacation in a box, i didn't have to think much, i bought and paid upfront and then pretty much everything was included except drinks.  now if you don't choose a level of all included package, then you have to think about the drip of cost creep with each micro charge.  it isn't that the fees themselves are outrageous, it is that he concept of cruising is changing that irks me

they don't offer levels of the package that avoid the drink packages.  they include things not everyone wants like picture packages, exercise classes, ridiculous desserts.  they haven't managed to make a package level that interests me, so i'll either do ith out or just pay the individual surcharge.  but then i'll be annoyed by th surcharge cost creep.

i'm not sure i'm going to stop cruising, but it wil make me give other lines an eye, although i suspect this happens over there as well.

This is the whole thing in a nutshell for us.  We have a Virgin Voyages booked for December which will be very close to compare our Sept/Oct cruise on Princess with.  For me personally, I don't like the whole "dividing passengers up into classes" thing.  It's bad enough sitting by someone talking about what "level" they are.  I think in September whenever I have to ask a question or clarification of something from a crewmember I'll be sure to point out that "I'm sailing in steerage."

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Have a feeling they are going to be driving a lot more passengers to Viking, Oceania, Silver Sea etc.  What they use to include in their price is now extra for Standard Fare and now they are adding all kinds of nickel and dimming costs.   No way to support what they are doing.  Will get more bang and less hassle and cheapness from other cruise lines.  New management will kill the goose that has always laid their golden egg - their most loyal customers.

And down to Royal, Carnival, and NCL.  If Viking, Oceania, and Silver Sea are outside my budget, why would I pay Princess prices for a Carnival experience with even fewer complimentary food options than Carnival?

Not sure how Princess considers itself a premium line after this change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pricing has changed. It's not going to change back. I don't have to necessarily like it but life goes on. Heck, I used to get Regular gas for 19¢ a gallon. These days I'm lucky if I can find it for $4.32 a gallon. I still buy gas.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

And down to Royal, Carnival, and NCL.  If Viking, Oceania, and Silver Sea are outside my budget, why would I pay Princess prices for a Carnival experience with even fewer complimentary food options than Carnival?

Carnival, Royal and NCL have tons of extra charges and, at least I know for Carnival,  less included food options.  That's why I liked that princess resisted this trend, until now. I'll be comparing more cruiselines now, for my upcoming trips and not just looking at Princess. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Princess is not a premium cruise line.  It is and has been an adult focused mass market line, along with HAL and Celebrity.  Not to be confused with the family focused mass market lines (Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean)

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Princess is not a premium cruise line.  It is and has been an adult focused mass market line, along with HAL and Celebrity.  Not to be confused with the family focused mass market lines (Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean)

I said premium, not luxury.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Pricing has changed. It's not going to change back. I don't have to necessarily like it but life goes on. Heck, I used to get Regular gas for 19¢ a gallon. These days I'm lucky if I can find it for $4.32 a gallon. I still buy gas.

eggs, milk, food, etc - everything has gone up, but taking a cruise is a choice.  Eating on a daily basis is neccessary.

Las Vegas, and other resort locations now make you pay a resort fee, guess who doesn't go to Las Vegas anymore.

Airlines charge for luggage, choosing a seat, breathing, looking out the window - will it ever end?

The only solution - walk away, find something new.  

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

eggs, milk, food, etc - everything has gone up, but taking a cruise is a choice.  Eating on a daily basis is neccessary.

Las Vegas, and other resort locations now make you pay a resort fee, guess who doesn't go to Las Vegas anymore.

Airlines charge for luggage, choosing a seat, breathing, looking out the window - will it ever end?

The only solution - walk away, find something new.  

We still do long camping trips but now one often has to make a reservation. Too... Many... People...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Interesting for standard that if you don't do the $14.99 activation of the ocean now on the app, You cannot access housekeeping for such as like a bathrobe, laundry pickup, nor were room service or housekeeping to come pick up your dirty dishes from room service. That sounds silly.

That is silly. So, on a positive note, I don't have to be on my phone as much. I'll just talk to my room steward, as usual, for additional needs and I won't have any dishes from room service since I won't be paying them $5 to sit in my room and wait for food that may or may not come. That is, if I sail princess again. 

• Like 2

I think this change is going to have a major backlash.  It doesn't really effect me (we always go Plus) but it looks like a PR disaster.  That being said,...

IS ANYONE GOING TO STARVE ON A CRUISE SHIP DUE TO THESE CHANGES?

• Haha 3