Freedom Aft balcony…second guessing myself

Happy Sunday all, 

we have an upcoming 3 night on Freedom with an aft balcony on the 9th floor booked. This is our first time sailing Royal and originally I booked this balcony (all the way back in January) bc of the extra balcony space. 
The closer we get, the more afraid I am that the combo of the obstruction of the back of the ship/lack of privacy from above deck/motion from being in the aft, might take away from the weekend. 
For about $800 more I can book a midship JS (original cost was $1200 for this sailing) 

Am I over thinking it? DH said to do whatever makes me happy…. But I don’t want to be wasteful of money either. Any advice would be SO appreciated!!!! 
thanks in advance!!!

I've enjoyed the 3 times we had an aft cabin. The superstructure obstruction really wasn't that big of a deal. Yes, if you're sitting right by the railing, people above you can see you, but that gets hot in the sun like that.

The most annoying thing about those cabins to us just was the long hike to and from stuff on the ship. But hey, get your steps in!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

For 800 more get the junior suite. The long walk to the aft gets old. Really old.

800 bucks is a lot just to avoid the walk unless there are physical issues with walking.  Some people don't mind the walk at all.

OP - there's no reason for concern regarding obstructions or privacy, aft cabins are great.

Edited by bouhunter

Stay with the aft balcony.  They are our favorite cabins and we have had them many times.  The extra balcony space is very very nice.  Having  reclining loungers instead the two regular chairs with a little table makes your balcony much more useful.  If it gets to hot you can slide the lounger back and get some shade. Unless there are mobility issues I don't think the walk is terribly long. 

01955B33-D0C7-4282-BE30-43FB4F499575_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4a3930eb8446484440cd5d6d53678ad5.jpeg

• Like 5

I agree with those who say to keep the aft balcony.  The only deck where the infrastructure matters (IMO) is deck 6 where the fantail is immediately on the other side of your railing.  I think you will enjoy the aft balcony space and if you don't, at least you will have tried it and it's only 3 nights so how bad could it be ?  Many people fight for those aft balconies - even on the Voyager and Freedom class ships with the aft infrastructure.  Think of it as having a prized location and enjoy it !

• Like 3

No, no, no -- you have literally one of the best balconies on the ship.  You'd be foolish to give it up!  And for more money?  NO!  

The walk to the back of the ship is nothing.  The superstructure kinda "disappears", but the extra balcony size and the view -- it's the best.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SunsetsNSmiles said:

Happy Sunday all, 

we have an upcoming 3 night on Freedom with an aft balcony on the 9th floor booked. This is our first time sailing Royal and originally I booked this balcony (all the way back in January) bc of the extra balcony space. 
The closer we get, the more afraid I am that the combo of the obstruction of the back of the ship/lack of privacy from above deck/motion from being in the aft, might take away from the weekend. 
For about $800 more I can book a midship JS (original cost was $1200 for this sailing) 

Am I over thinking it? DH said to do whatever makes me happy…. But I don’t want to be wasteful of money either. Any advice would be SO appreciated!!!! 
thanks in advance!!!

This was on liberty, deck 9. Corner aft. I'm not sure if you face aft, or just in the aft?

I've got tons of pictures lol. Here are a few. It's been my favourite cabin. Faced the ports and so loved that too. The door isnt sliding it's a single heavy door to open. 

20220320_180815.jpg

20220320_131925.jpg

• Like 3

The view is not really obstructed. Although there is a lot of structural steel there, you will hardly notice it. You will have fantastic views looking at the wake. Privacy from above also is not an issue. They can only see the very outer edge of your balcony. I highly recommend keeping the cabin that you have.

We love those aft balconies and never felt the superstructure interfered with the view. Our legs manage the walk to the aft cabins without complaint, but everyone has to evaluate that issue for themselves.  I would not pay $800 more for a JS for a 3 night cruise.

48 minutes ago, Dett said:

Depends on which aft you have.  What is the cabin number? The corner afts on Freedom are smaller than other afts especially on deck 9.

But the afts that are larger, deck 7 for instance  need 3 to book. I couldn't book a bigger one on a lower deck as a solo. Deck 9 was all I could book. People always mention lower decks have larger balconys but forget to mention need 3, different category for 3 or 4. 

Love the aft! This Thanksgiving will be our 2nd time in 1400 on Deck 10 (Indy). As far as the long walk, I need all of the steps I can get so I treat the longer walk like exercise. And I have terrible motion sickness. Even in calm seas, it can be bad. I have never been less sick in any specific part of the ship. I say keep it especially for 3 nights!

Edited by fla33023
  • Like 1

Although I've only been able to sail in an aft balcony once and not on Royal, I'll join the chorus of fans. It's was easily my favorite cabin and I've got another booked for October this year. Also, if you're worried, Cruise Deck Plans looks to have videos of all of the aft-facing balconies on Freedom. Check out the deck 9 deck plan here and click the play icon on your cabin to check out the tour. These are made my every day cruisers, for the most part, so they vary in quality, but chances are one of them will be decent and give you a good idea of what to expect from your own cabin.

46 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

But the afts that are larger, deck 7 for instance  need 3 to book. I couldn't book a bigger one on a lower deck as a solo. Deck 9 was all I could book. People always mention lower decks have larger balconys but forget to mention need 3, different category for 3 or 4. 

Ok.  We had 1400 on Freedom a few years ago and loved it.  We like aft cabins a lot. 1400 was not like the picture that was posted with two loungers, two chairs and table. It was smaller. 

4 minutes ago, SunsetsNSmiles said:

You guys are all the best - thank you so much!! DH and our pockets thank you as well!! You all confirmed my original thoughts about booking this room - I’m so excited and will not Change to js ! Thanks again!!  🙂 

You can ask for different chairs. I saw one on the opposite side corner aft. I was doing a b2b and peeked in. It had lounge chairs. I'm solo and I particularly liked that taller upright chair. Never saw it before. I like upright for reading out there. 

You can see the divider better here. 

20220321_110429.jpg

20220323_080800.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SunsetsNSmiles said:

You guys are all the best - thank you so much!! DH and our pockets thank you as well!! You all confirmed my original thoughts about booking this room - I’m so excited and will not Change to js ! Thanks again!!  🙂 

Good choice,  I 100% guarantee you will be happy with this cabin.  My absolute favorite balcony cabin is the corner afts on deck 10 on both Freedom and Voyager class. They are the ones that come with a stripper pole in the middle.  The cabin "feels" like a JS without the extra large closet and larger bathroom.  

54B7A650-1FE1-48C5-91A5-F85D98B7159C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a0ea49bc40d5f68ae506ff5eef8ce419.jpeg

Edited by Rusty_lock
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm sorry to hear that deck 7 corner afts now require 3 to book. We had a corner 7 aft on Freedom and loved the huge balcony. (we were a party of 2)  IMO the JS are not worth the extra money as they are only a little wider than regular balcony cabins. Keep the aft! 

• Like 1