Specialty Dinner on first night?

RocketMan275

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Anyone ever booked a specialty on the first night?  How did that work out?

Yes.  Worked out quite well, actually.  Dined in LeBistro on Embarkation evening, given they wave the "long pants" rule on the first night due to possible luggage lateness.  So, that's a good time to dine there.

Have done Cagney's on Embarkation night for dinner, also.  Seemed less crowded than later in the week.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yes.  Worked out quite well, actually.  Dined in LeBistro on Embarkation evening, given they wave the "long pants" rule on the first night due to possible luggage lateness.  So, that's a good time to dine there.

Have done Cagney's on Embarkation night for dinner, also.  Seemed less crowded than later in the week.

Good to know. 

Hadn't occured that the first night being less crowded.

We were in Le Bistro on our last cruise and got to witness a passenger wearing shorts arguing with the Matre'd about being turned away.  Wasn't seated and it was entertaining to watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

It's a great idea. Most people flock to the Manhattan Room or whatever the aft / fancier MDR is on the first night.

We either eat in a speciality restaurant the first night, or go right to Taste / Savor / the midship MDR.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Anyone ever booked a specialty on the first night?  How did that work out?

We always do specialty dining on departure night. We like to be outside for sailaway, so dinner is always a couple of hours after departure. Normally our platinum dinner at Cagney's... get the bottle of wine started for the cruise. 

• Like 4

My family and I started booking one of our specialty dinings on the first night many cruises ago and that has now become our tradition... we always book the steakhouse for the first night of the cruise, even paying for it on embarkation day when we are not cruising with NCL and it isn't included (so last year on both the Carnival Celebration and the Ruby Princess for example). The food and service has always been good and the restaurants have never been overwhelmingly busy across any line we've been on. 

I started cruising in my late teens and have noticed over the years (I am now in my late 40's) embarkation is always the night I am the hungriest and can eat/enjoy the most at dinner. Inevitably for the remainder of the cruise, my appetite decreases daily (me in my early 30's would be ashamed of the large salad that I now have for lunch most days when cruising). 🙂

Edited by JillK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, JillK said:

. we always book the steakhouse for the first night of the cruise, even paying for it on embarkation day when we are not cruising with NCL and it isn't included (so last year on both the Carnival Celebration and the Ruby Princess for example)  The food and service has always been good and the restaurants have never been overwhelmingly busy across any line we've been on. 

Im surprised the Carnival ship wasnt busy. It used to be the first night. They used to give a free bottle of wine the first night. Of course, the price has gone up from $35 to $48 so that might be one reason.

Edited by sailingships

21 minutes ago, sailingships said:

Im surprised the Carnival ship wasnt busy. It used to be the first night. They used to give a free bottle of wine the first night. Of course, the price has gone up from $35 to $48 so that might be one reason.

It was busy but not overwhelmingly (in the sense that the service didn't suffer nor was the food not at temperature or as expected). Worth every penny in our opinion! 

We ended up going to the Guy's BBQ joint for dinner (pay) one night and really felt that wasn't worth the money. Just go to the free lunch on deck on sea days!

Also just noticed that I said Carnival Celebration but should have said Panorama (Celebration is on our new list of Carnival ships to try)!

Edited by JillK

When we plan our speciality meals the first two that we always put in are the first and last. Last could change depending on the port, but I don’t see any reason why we wouldn’t do embarkation day (unless we decided not to bother at all.

We have eaten at a speciality restaurant for at least our last dozen cruises.

Quieter, and a nice relaxed start to the cruise. I struggle to see a downside.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Quieter, and a nice relaxed start to the cruise. I struggle to see a downside.

The alternative is dinner in the Haven the first night.

Of course I need to determine which specialty.  I'm booking Food Republic, Le Bistro, Onda, and Palomar.

I'm leaning towards Onda the first night.

Edited by RocketMan275

We always do, and would recommend it for same reasons mentioned above.  Did have an issue one time where my luggage was "delayed" getting to our room and our reservation was on the early side (maybe 6:00).  I was wearing t-shirt and shorts.  Talked to the front desk and the call the restaurant to see if it was ok.  

They were cool with it, but I did feel a little awkward not being dressed appropriately