How do you rate MDR menu these days?

thefog

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Food has definitely gone downhill. 

Menu choices 3/10

Food quality 5/10

Last year I would say 8/10 for both.  It was never fabulous.  But consistently this year since January the above is true and is reflected on every survey we do.  I guess Royal doesn’t care. We even had a discussion with the chef last cruise.  ( He came to our table and asked for feedback and we were nice about it but honest.) It didn’t improve.  At least I don’t gain weight when we cruise anymore.  

• Haha 2

My husband & I were talking last night, specifically about the MDR menu changed. I am pretty easy going & thrilled to let someone else cook/clean for me. That said, there was one night when I ordered the fish & chips (I think that is what it was called) and it looked so unappealing that for the first time ever that I asked to swap it out. It looked no better than Long John Silvers…. and I do eat there occasionally, just not on vacation! I wish I had taken a photo. But yes, we both agreed if we do not speak up, this will be more of the norm instead of a one off. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Last year I would say 8/10 for both.  It was never fabulous.  But consistently this year since January the above is true and is reflected on every survey we do.  I guess Royal doesn’t care. We even had a discussion with the chef last cruise.  ( He came to our table and asked for feedback and we were nice about it but honest.) It didn’t improve.  At least I don’t gain weight when we cruise anymore.  

I would agree.  Was on Wonder in Sept. 2022 and I thought the MDR food most nights was 8/10.  Am going back on the Symphony this September and am now concerned by all the comments that the dining experience a year later won't be nearly as good. Yet the price is higher, so go figure.

I've been cruising over thirty years and haven't noticed a huge difference in the quality in the MDR's. I think the selections and variety have gone down somewhat but not drastically. And of course we now have all the specialty restaurants which were pretty much nonexistent. But I haven't cruised RCL since December and the old menu so I'll see next month if the quality has really dropped. I'm not real picky though.

• Like 3

Found good vegan food on the Explorer in April/May and also on the Liberty in June.  Simplified my life as every evening there was one vegan starter, one vegan main course, and one vegan desert.  First time I did not gain weight on either cruise, the portions were the right sizes for me.

1 hour ago, leerobbs said:

Has anyone tried the Spicey Tiger Shrimp?

We always sail in suites and have ordered it from room service and it was always excellent. Also ordered it on those rare occasions when we go to the MDR, and very inconsistent - sometimes good and sometimes not so much. 

Just returned from “Coastal Kitchen” and as we both agreed, that is how the MDR really should be! Sailed on Virgin last month and were blown away by the quality of the food, as every included eatery is a speciality level restaurant. Coastal Kitchen is certainly also on that level. The MDR most definitely isn’t! If the food doesn’t disappoint then the proximity of the tables for 2 will! The gap between the tables is barely wide enough to slide the menu through! I’ve had less intimate proximity with my dentist than with some of my fellow “two top” diners! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Not true - if you ask them to bring it all - they will do!

Recent history and countless posts would contradict that opinion. Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you sailed, because that has not ben our recent MDR experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Recent history and countless posts would contradict that opinion. Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you sailed, because that has not ben our recent MDR experience.

About 8 weeks ago ( all the FB groups that I follow confirm it is not an issue) - most people on here when questioned did NOT insist on it or escalated the issue - the only thing that changed is - the waiter seems reluctant to make that decision - so you need to escalate it a bit and it will work....

So bottom line - it is only a CC myth - which does not exist in reality!

Also even on CC the "issue" has NOT been reported for month!

So it was just some misinformed waiters at the beginning of the change in menues!

BTW you mention you hardly use the MDR - so how can you be an expert on the "issue"?

Edited by cruiseboy89130

2 hours ago, Jetdriver787 said:

If the food doesn’t disappoint then the proximity of the tables for 2 will! The gap between the tables is barely wide enough to slide the menu through! I’ve had less intimate proximity with my dentist than with some of my fellow “two top” diners! 

On Oasis class ships, there are a number of two-top tables by the glass railing overlooking the other floors, that have some privacy and where you're not sitting shoulder to shoulder with other diners. I always request those, even if it requires an intervention with the dining room manager to ensure that's where I'm seated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

BTW you mention you hardly use the MDR - so how can you be an expert on the "issue"?

Eight cruises across three different ships since January, and have used the MDR sufficiently to know that it is an issue.

I just got off the Navigator of the Seas 4 day cruise today.  I went on with low expectations.  I am happy to report that the MDR food was outstanding!  Everything was delicious.  This opinion was shared by all 4 of the people in our party. 

The butter chicken was a real standout.  Everything was served fresh and hot.  The keylime pie was off the hook.  My grandson love the lasagna followed by the chicken parm.  (he has an insatiable appetite at 13 years old).   I loved the fish offerings.  They were seasoned and cooked perfectly.  

All that being said,  kudos to the team who makes this happen night after night. 

Edited by joeyancho
  • Like 2

Food on Explorer in July was very good, an improvement over our cruise on Jewel last year. And the portions were huge. I did have salmon and tilapia a lot (I only eat fish and vegetables) since they got rid of lobster night and I guess some other fish options. 

5 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

About 8 weeks ago ( all the FB groups that I follow confirm it is not an issue) - most people on here when questioned did NOT insist on it or escalated the issue - the only thing that changed is - the waiter seems reluctant to make that decision - so you need to escalate it a bit and it will work....

So bottom line - it is only a CC myth - which does not exist in reality!

Also even on CC the "issue" has NOT been reported for month!

So it was just some misinformed waiters at the beginning of the change in menues!

Maybe things have changed in the last few months but I was on Liberty in March and it was definitely only one at a time. I did not, and would not, put the waiter in the awkward position of going to his superior to make a change in policy for for a spoiled, seemingly entitled (me) passenger.

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Maybe things have changed in the last few months but I was on Liberty in March and it was definitely only one at a time. I did not, and would not, put the waiter in the awkward position of going to his superior to make a change in policy for for a spoiled, seemingly entitled (me) passenger.

Wrong. That's how they will know it's an unwelcome policy. People have to speak up. Over and over. Customer is always right. 

• Like 3