Ship photography

Lenbro1944

Correct me if I’m wrong- but you can buy the pictures you like. So letting them take your picture is not a problem. If you like what they take, buy it. If not- don’t. I think you can wait till the end of the cruise and look at all the pictures of you and decide if you want a package or just a few or none. 

I usually hate any picture I’m in, so avoid the ship photographers. We take a few selfies, but that’s about it. 

• Like 1

The photographers (I have heard and believe) are rewarded by how many pics they take, secondarily if at all, by how many sell. I now pledge to let them shoot me as long as I don't feel I am a hot mess! That gives us something else to do (try to find our pics in the gallery), and who knows a miracle of a good photo may be found! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Szt said:

Correct me if I’m wrong- but you can buy the pictures you like. So letting them take your picture is not a problem. If you like what they take, buy it. If not- don’t. I think you can wait till the end of the cruise and look at all the pictures of you and decide if you want a package or just a few or none. 

You are absolutely correct.  My personal issue is that I don't like the frequent intrusion by them while I am dining or just enjoying my day as I would rarely buy any of the pictures they take. So I would prefer to not be bothered with having a picture taken in the first place. To me letting them take my picture is something I just don't want to be bothered with. Just my opinion and personal preference.

Early in our cruising days we were involved in more pictures - and ultimate purchases of same - than I can count.  But after 30+ years of cruising I we just cant be bothered anymore. My smartphone is just fine for all the pictures I want at this point.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You are absolutely correct.  My personal issue is that I don't like the frequent intrusion by them while I am dining or just enjoying my day as I would rarely buy any of the pictures they take. So I would prefer to not be bothered with having a picture taken in the first place. To me letting them take my picture is something I just don't want to be bothered with. Just my opinion and personal preference.

Early in our cruising days we were involved in more pictures - and ultimate purchases of same - than I can count.  But after 30+ years of cruising I we just cant be bothered anymore. My smartphone is just fine for all the pictures I want at this point.

I get it. 

• Like 1

I know some of you will relate to this. I hate photos that show my whole body, as many picts taken by others do. The angle of selfies always makes me look soooo much better. 

We normally avoid the photographers, but bought a couple of photos of us with the kids ages ago that we liked and paid for one on our last cruise, also got a freebie. If you like the photo and price, go for it. Make sure you like the backdrop before posing in front of it on formal night.

I remember complaints about Black Label photography in the past, don't know if they are still around. I think they offered high priced studio portraits.

Photographers who block the gangway to photograph everyone should be discouraged in the strongest way.

I kinda miss the days of everyone's photos displayed on the walls and having to search for ours.  Some of the photos were hilarious.  It was obvious some people were caught by surprise or really did not want their photo taken.  

But on the other hand, I prefer that photographers be static where we go to them.  I never did like the dinner interruptions.  

• Like 3

We love them!  Buy a couple each cruise.  We are not good selfie takers, do not find the on board photographers intrusive, and rarely have pictures of the two of us from any other means.  The photographers make themselves available and it's our choice whether to say yes or no.  We too enjoy going to the gallery and finding our pictures amongst all the other happy faces on the wall.  For us, it's worth it.  

• Like 1

OK so my question is HOW do you avoid them at dinner?  it seems that they just come to your table and it is almost easier to just comply with the pic than dissuade them from taking it.  Any tips would be very much appreciated.   Not only is it annoying but we talk about what we are doing during the day at breakfast and do a kind of wrap up at dinner.  

First of all, we have never had that issue. Maybe because we eat at least half our dinners at the buffet. 
But on the rate time someone has approached us I just put up my hand in front of my face and say “no thank you, please”. That’s pretty clearly “get out of my face”. You don’t really even have to say anything. They are not going to take a pic with your hand over your face. If you just keep on with your conversation they don’t interrupt. At least that’s been my experience. 

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I kinda miss the days of everyone's photos displayed on the walls and having to search for ours.  Some of the photos were hilarious.  It was obvious some people were caught by surprise or really did not want their photo taken.  

But on the other hand, I prefer that photographers be static where we go to them.  I never did like the dinner interruptions.  

They used to make everyone stop before boarding and take a pic. We laughed so hard at all the pics of exhausted travelers who

just wanted to get to their cabins. Of course we laughed hardest at our own. 

39 minutes ago, sydney dog said:

OK so my question is HOW do you avoid them at dinner?  it seems that they just come to your table and it is almost easier to just comply with the pic than dissuade them from taking it.  Any tips would be very much appreciated.   Not only is it annoying but we talk about what we are doing during the day at breakfast and do a kind of wrap up at dinner.  

There is no way to prevent them from coming to the table - that's their job.  But as they approach you just simply and politely say "no thank you - we are not interested".  We've never had an issue with them in that manner.

If you eat frequently in the MDR and sit at the same table, typically after the second approach, they will stop coming altogether.  Or will just look over at you to make sure you still don't want their service.  At least that has been our experience when we would eat at the MDR.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, sydney dog said:

9 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

There is no way to prevent them from coming to the table - that's their job.  But as they approach you just simply and politely say "no thank you - we are not interested".  We've never had an issue with them in that manner.

I agree with @leaveitallbehind.  Just say "no thanks".    Adding a smile is good too.  

These days, unless you voluntarily go to one of the portrait set-ups, about the only time we are approached is at the MDR.  Saying "no thanks" takes less than 3 seconds.  Not really anything to be bothered about, IMO. 

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 12:55 PM, Szt said:

They used to make everyone stop before boarding and take a pic. We laughed so hard at all the pics of exhausted travelers who

just wanted to get to their cabins. Of course we laughed hardest at our own. 

I understand the cruise lines going digital but this used to be a fun activity while looking for our photos!

We usually skip the photographers but our recent cruise was the first with our (adult) kids since 2010 so I was happy to spring for a formal night photo.

• Like 1

The first time is a friendly no thank-you. 

The second time is a less friendly no thank-you, a mention that this is the second time they've asked and a request not to return.

There has not been a third time.