Your experience with lost luggage, no service by X at all.

SoBe2010

Hello everybody,

Just curious about your experience.

For the second time in a row, we lost a piece of luggage post cruise. Last November on Harmony of the seas in Lauderdale (forgot it in Terminal), last month on Constellation in Ravenna.(taken by other guest and brought back 2h later). I certainly filled out  a claim in terminal und online.

Now and then no luck to get our bags. It seems, since there is no pressure on the cruise line, compared to airlines, to reimburse people if luggage is not found, there is really no effort at all to find your lost luggage.

• Like 1

I certainly think there is room for improvement with luggage service.  We ve not had the experience of losing a piece luggage but in January, out of Fort Lauderdale, my luggage was delivered.   DH no. I had been following the pieces with air tags and DH ‘s was sitting on the dock.  Not sure why 2 pieces of luggage put onto the cart by the porter to be delivered to our cabin would be separated.  About 1/2 hr before ship was to sail, DH s luggage showed it was onboard.     I do think cruise lines need to take responsibility 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwlane said:

Why should they have reimburesed you in the 1st incident?

Agree, as from the OPs description, it sounds like the OP forgot their suitcase in the terminal themselves, not the fault of the cruise line - unless we are missing something?

• Like 3

Took a 2012 Panama Canal Cruise departing from San Diego.  Took our DD, SIL, and 2 year old GD on a honeymoon cruise.  My brother joined us.  All of our luggage was checked by the same porter and went onto the same luggage rack.  One of my brother's bags never made and remains forever lost.  X did very little to help him.

I worked for a major midwest paper converting operation. We were the biggest fish in the area and sales people were banging on my door to get a piece of the action.

Anybody can service the account when things are going good, What happens when things go south? The people we partnered with were true partners our problem became their #1 priority. We had 24/7, including holidays , access to anything we needed. If they were more than an hour away, they would deliver it. They stocked the long lead time items expensive items that we used at least one a year. High volume packaging materials.. They stocked them and delivered them daily based on our need. This is just the tip of the iceberg. No, it was not free, cost analysis were run by accounting and the savings were in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. I don’t remember how they figured the expensive long lead times in, if they did. Burden on our biggest, fastest machine was $50,000 per hour.

This was back in the 1990s.

That’s why they paid me the big bucks.

There were companies out there that were cheaper, but like the cruise lines they want to give you the least they can but still can suck every penny out of you they can. They never got in the door, the phone was never answered, or messages returned.

6 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

I think you are looking to wrong people with regards to lost luggage?  Do the dock people work for  Celebrity?  They (luggage loaders) are responsible.

Aren’t the luggage loaders/unloaders the crew? The one poster said all the luggage was on the same rack yet one never showed up at the room.

4 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

I certainly think there is room for improvement with luggage service.  We ve not had the experience of losing a piece luggage but in January, out of Fort Lauderdale, my luggage was delivered.   DH no. I had been following the pieces with air tags and DH ‘s was sitting on the dock.  Not sure why 2 pieces of luggage put onto the cart by the porter to be delivered to our cabin would be separated.  About 1/2 hr before ship was to sail, DH s luggage showed it was onboard.     I do think cruise lines need to take responsibility 

It's very possible that both of your suitcases didn't fit in the same cart, so were split up into different carts and those carts were loaded at different times. Your situation isn't comparable to someone whose bag was completely lost. 

• Like 2

Porters load the luggage on carts and wheel them into the terminal. The bags get unloaded to go through the x-ray machine. They are then loaded onto the carts that get loaded onto the ship.  

Ships crew does not touch the luggage until it is actually on the ship. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Took a 2012 Panama Canal Cruise departing from San Diego.  Took our DD, SIL, and 2 year old GD on a honeymoon cruise.  My brother joined us.  All of our luggage was checked by the same porter and went onto the same luggage rack.  One of my brother's bags never made and remains forever lost.  X did very little to help him.

They could start out on the same rack, but when the luggage goes through the x-ray and is re-loaded on two different racks, they could easily have  been separated

• Like 2

I always afraid my luggage to be picked up by the wrong person.

To avoid that I always make sure I get to the luggages area first and also I always put two tags in one luggage.

I just got off Reflection and found out one of the tags is missing.

on board it goes by inner elevs to various distrib rooms.. where staff then  delivers it to rooms.   Often dh has to hunt it down due to slow sevice..we cannot relax til.it  all arrives!

we have also seen more than one bag fall in the water as staff looks on with the " oh well"..expression

we never pack anything we cannot replace..b/c you never know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kittyraptors said:

It's very possible that both of your suitcases didn't fit in the same cart, so were split up into different carts and those carts were loaded at different times. Your situation isn't comparable to someone whose bag was completely lost. 

That is why I said had not lost luggage.    

I suspect you are correct. However we were one of the first to drop luggage off and board.   it is odd his bag was left sitting there for several hours

My husband left the Celebrity Beyond in Ft Lauderdale on disembarkation day via ambulance. I had all our bags except the largest one which was sent out the night before for pickup that morning. They told me the bag would be picked and delivered to the hospital that day and gave me phone numbers in case I needed them.

ER reception told me they got bags delivered “all the time” from the cruise lines. Well, I got a call from the port authority about an hour later saying that we’d left a bag behind. I explained and the straight up answer was “we don’t do that.” My choices were to come back and pick it up that day or the next or they ship it somewhere to be shipped to our home within 30 days, seriously.

They admitted my husband to the hospital so I ubered to the port the next day, the driver waited and waited and waited, they couldn’t find the bag, then they found a supervisor who knew what to do, she found the bag and instead on walking me to the uber, we went back to the hotel and dropped off the bag and then on to the hospital.

None of this was fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Aren’t the luggage loaders/unloaders the crew? The one poster said all the luggage was on the same rack yet one never showed up at the room.

My understanding is the dock workers are hired by the port authority. 

While I know nothing of the incident, wondering if one of the bags was flagged by security and sent to the Naughty Room and when rescanned was delivered.

• Like 1

I actually had a positive experience with a piece of lost luggage.   In my case it was on disembarkation.    We searched the luggage area and couldn't  find my bag.   I asked a Celebrity Agent and she advised to hold on.  

She got on her walki-talki.    Five minutes later she said it is on the other side of Customs.   Someone picked up my rather  unique Kelley Green  oversized suitebag and cleared customs.   When they got to the curb they realized it wasn't there's and returned it to an agent. 

Not Celebrity, but on Princess my husband's bag was lost somewhere between putting it out in the hall and pick up in luggage room.  They did help us look, kept us until the last minute, when all bags were gone and gave us a free transfer to the airport.  

The bag was never found; presumably taken by mistake by a passenger. We did have it marked with quite unmistakable ribboons.  Princess reimbursed us $250--for a bag and contents worth well over $1000,--which in our opinion was extremely poor.

In Seattle, there is a dedicated luggage team that only deals with reuniting left-behind luggage with their owners.  This is their only job - dealing with wayward luggage.  Almost every afternoon, a delivery service (Fed-Ex or UPS) will show up at Pier 91 and pick up luggage that needs to be sent to their owners.

Also, every effort is made to reunite late/mis-directed  luggage from SeaTac, either by taxi to Pier 91 before the ship sails, or flown to Ketchikan to meet up with the ship.

At least at Seattle's Pier 91, the folks who work this job, really do care about reuniting the passengers with their luggage.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Not Celebrity, but on Princess my husband's bag was lost somewhere between putting it out in the hall and pick up in luggage room.  They did help us look, kept us until the last minute, when all bags were gone and gave us a free transfer to the airport.  

The bag was never found; presumably taken by mistake by a passenger. We did have it marked with quite unmistakable ribboons.  Princess reimbursed us $250--for a bag and contents worth well over $1000,--which in our opinion was extremely poor.

Back when X sailed from Manhattan..I literally chased a man all the way out to.his  limo to rescue my bag.  He was in a hurry , obnoxious and  would not stop. ( not a language issue)  I blocked him and forced him to look at tags!

No apology!

that's why packing less and walk off are the best way if you can!

we will still get tracking tags for boarding day!  and we always cross pack..

• Like 1