What Hotels are Crystal recommending or staying in precruise Reykjavik

SnoBirdCruiser

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

You people just don't know how to make a hot dog - a chili cheese dog in the only proper way to eat one in Texas. It's yellow mustard (preferably French's), chili (preferably Wolf Brand Chili), chopped onion and grated cheddar cheese. From my youth it was Hormel all beef hot dogs and Mrs. Baird's hot dog bun. Those last 2 items can be substituted since the other ingredients tend to cover up the flavor of the bread and wieners!🤪

Patty

P.S. On reflection, I believe the wieners were Oscar Meyer all beef.

Your hot dog and mine are mutually exclusive, except I do love chili. I’ll take ketchup and spicy mustard, please. No bun, but I need a good knife and fork.

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

For some this will bring back memories.

As to those of us who know a real hot dog, it's not Oscar Mayer but they do have a cute commercial.  

Keith

Is the announcer somebody well-known? I love his voice.

55 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

Lest we forget the OM Weiner mobile!!!

I was just thinking the same thing!  Between the jingle (which I already mentioned the power of this week) and the Weinermobile, OM may not have my favorite products, but their marketing over the decades has been powerful relative to its size within Kraft Heinz.  I think I remember every time I've ever seen the Weinermobile.  

Not sure I'm ready to call it the Frankmobile yet, but accept this is world we live in today.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

Your hot dog and mine are mutually exclusive, except I do love chili. I’ll take ketchup and spicy mustard, please. No bun, but I need a good knife and fork.

Ketchup on a hot dog.  OMG.  

Hot Dog, Bun, Mustard, Sauerkraut, Even Onions. Ketchup.  Ouch.

LOL but just saying.

Keith 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

Muriel, all that proves is that you are a Yankee! 🤣😍 😉 Same to all the rest of you with no chili and cheese!!

Patty

• Like 2

Since this thread has morphed into a hot dog and pizza discussion (probably my fault for originally posting the link to the Icelandic hot dog stand), here's a couple of regional variations that will the purists will likely abhor. (Chicago-style and Sonoran style).

Sorry for starting this!!!! 🤣🙄🤭

Rob

Chicago hot dog.jpg

Sonoran hot dog.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, May B said:

How did you do, Paul?

I remember the place as a madhouse. Was that your impression, too, from the other side of the counter?

They would put us in during slow periods, allowing the "professionals" their break.   What I remember was the heat...  Not just the summer heat, but the heat of the grill. 

Next summer was as a Good Humor man..   White clothes, cool freezer, plus 100% on commission -- hustle and would clear $120 a week.  Min wage was $1.25/hour then.

Now we can diverge to Ice Cream   🙂

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Since this thread has morphed into a hot dog and pizza discussion (probably my fault for originally posting the link to the Icelandic hot dog stand), here's a couple of regional variations that will the purists will likely abhor. (Chicago-style and Sonoran style).

Rob

Chicago hot dog.jpg

Sonoran hot dog.jpg

I've had Sonoran Hot Dogs at several different places in the past year, but none of them looked that good.  It's hard to go wrong with a hot dog wrapped in bacon though.  (Well, maybe as long as you have good health insurance?)

Vince

I’ve had the Iceland hot dog and it was a disappointment.  It was not encased in a proper roll.  Great hot dogs have to start with a New England roll, which has a flat bottom and is top loaded.  The flat sides are soft, with no crust, and both sides are butter grilled to perfection.  🥰  The rolls are not large, so that the bread doesn’t over power the flavor of the dog, but the buttery goodness compliments the dog.  Condiments can be top loaded per the diner’s preference.

Now don’t get me started on clam chowder.  There is only one style worth eating: New England.  There will be no clams swimming in tomato broth in my house.  😛

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ryndam said:

Rob

Chicago hot dog.jpg

A family friend opened a Chicago Style hot dog place (Red hots).  Best ever. 

• Like 1

Hate to get back to cruising but.

Put this also in another thread but there is a hurricane (could be cat 5) coming up the Atlantic and I would be concerned about the cruise from Iceland to Quebec starting tomorrow.  I hope it doesn't but hurricanes do horrible things to waves and currents even when not just over you.

Don't know if Crystal has said anything but - be cautious

12 hours ago, RLMSLL said:

I’ve had the Iceland hot dog and it was a disappointment.  It was not encased in a proper roll.  Great hot dogs have to start with a New England roll, which has a flat bottom and is top loaded.  The flat sides are soft, with no crust, and both sides are butter grilled to perfection.  🥰  The rolls are not large, so that the bread doesn’t over power the flavor of the dog, but the buttery goodness compliments the dog.  Condiments can be top loaded per the diner’s preference.

Now don’t get me started on clam chowder.  There is only one style worth eating: New England.  There will be no clams swimming in tomato broth in my house.  😛

I agree.

When I lived in the East Coast New England Clam Chowder was a favorite in the winter and after shoveling snow it really hit the spot.

The other one for me seemed like tomato soup and while I love tomatoes I am not a fan of tomato soup.

As to Hot Dogs I also like the bun toasted.

Keith 

On 9/5/2023 at 3:01 PM, Keith1010 said:

Back in my day we had one in the town next to Jericho which was in Hicksville. I never saw so many hot dogs cooking at once. French Fries were good too.  Yes back then I ate them as well. 

Oh a Nathan's dog with mustard and sauerkraut. And yes, their french fries. We kids always went to the one in Oceanside with the long park benches in the back. 

Of course a Hebrew National frank ran a close second as long as one topped it off with a cream soda. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Ketchup on a hot dog.  OMG.  

Hot Dog, Bun, Mustard, Sauerkraut, Even Onions. Ketchup.  Ouch.

LOL but just saying.

Keith 

Ketchup on a hot dog is a shonda!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 9/6/2023 at 12:00 PM, May B said:

Is the announcer somebody well-known? I love his voice.

On 9/6/2023 at 12:43 PM, BWIVince said:

I was just thinking the same thing! 

Herschel Bernardi.  Also was the original voice of Charlie the Tuna, and co-starred as Lt Jacoby on Peter Gunn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 4:59 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Muriel, all that proves is that you are a Yankee! 🤣😍 😉 Same to all the rest of you with no chili and cheese!!

Patty

It’s true, I’m a Yankee, but I DO like chili on my dog. No cheese!

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 6:18 PM, Roland4 said:

Friends sailing Explora 1 are staying at the Saga Hotel

We can confirm this is a very nice new hotel - centrally located and well appointed. It opened last year I believe and still has that “new car” feel. We’re very happy with the room and the friendly and attentive service from staff 

The full name is Hotel Reykjavik Saga 

We enjoyed dinner with Roland4 and his wife last night and it is indeed a small world when you get to catch up with friends from other countries in a third one distant from both your base countries 

We saw Crystal Serenity moored in the harbour yesterday when we arrived and are a tad envious of those boarding her later today - but equally were excited about our own adventure sailing Explora Journey’s Explora 1 on Saturday as we cruise from Reykjavik to New York City over 16 nights 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

We can confirm this is a very nice new hotel - centrally located and well appointed. It opened last year I believe and still has that “new car” feel. We’re very happy with the room and the friendly and attentive service from staff 

The full name is Hotel Reykjavik Saga 

We enjoyed dinner with Roland4 and his wife last night and it is indeed a small world when you get to catch up with friends from other countries in a third one distant from both your base countries 

We saw Crystal Serenity moored in the harbour yesterday when we arrived and are a tad envious of those boarding her later today - but equally were excited about our own adventure sailing Explora Journey’s Explora 1 on Saturday as we cruise from Reykjavik to New York City over 16 nights 

And a great evening it was! Los of laughs, good wine and great food!!

Went to The Laundromat for breakfast, best breakfast in Reykjavik! It opened at 9:00 and 9:15 it was full! Went for a bit of a walk after and found Silver Cloud and Atlas World Traveller in the Old Harbour. Now we wait not so patiently as the minutes tick down until we board Serenity!

Edited by Roland4
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Went to The Laundromat for breakfast, best breakfast in Reykjavik! It opened at 9:00 and 9:15 it was full! Went for a bit of a walk after and found Silver Cloud and Atlas World Traveller in the Old Harbour. Now we wait not so patiently as the minutes tick down until we board Serenity!

And we are onboard. More on a new thread.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Roland4 said:

So glad you went to The Laundromat! We ate there twice, in a two-day stay. Part of what I loved was the atmosphere … including the books!